1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Low Carb Dieting/Working Out Question

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Stryker44, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Stryker44

Stryker44 Active Member

927 Messages
    75 Likes Received
    Right now I weigh 257 lbs. Started at 290 lbs on November 6th. Want to get to 190 by June.

I'm currently doing 60-90 minutes of cardio, along with weights 6 days a week. The weights I'm doing Day 1 - Shoulders and Chest Day 2 - biceps/triceps Day 3- Legs. Abs every other day.

I'm allowing myself a "cheat day" the one day of the week I'm not working out (Sundays as of right now). I'm noticing that I put on a few lbs during that cheat day, but overall have been making progress from week to week.

Do you think having that cheat day is important in terms of long term fitness? I'd really like to keep the weight off once I get down to 12 percent body fat or so.
  2. Jenky

Jenky Well-Known Member

3,344 Messages
    784 Likes Received
    You are off to a great start, but we need more details.

Have you found out what your daily caloric needs are? This is how many calories you need to consume to maintain weight.

What's low carb actually mean here? It's easier if you posted your caloric intake and macro nutrient break down (Carb/Protein/Fat) numbers. Are you going into Keto?

What kind of cardio are you doing? Low intensity, high intensity, moderate jog, etc?

Your split is kind of awkward. You have shoulders and chest one day, followed by triceps and biceps the next day. If you bench press or dumbbell press, the triceps are automatically going to engage. So you have two days in a row where you are working triceps.

Some common splits are:

Day 1: Chest/ Triceps /Delts
    Day 2: Back/ Bicep /Traps
    Day 3: Legs
    Rest
    Repeat

I'll usually just do chest, back, rest, shoulders, legs, arms all on separate days.

The goal is to allow rest time between the same body parts.

Also it sounds like your primary goal is to lose weight first, and preserve muscle second? Does this mean you do cardio first when you get to the gym? If so, this will impact on how heavy you can lift.

I'd split your training into two parts. An AM workout and a PM workout. Cardio in the morning and weight lifting in the evening.

A cheat day can hinder your progress. A cheat meal most likely won't. It all depends on calories in and calories out though...
  3. Stryker44

Stryker44 Active Member

927 Messages
    75 Likes Received
    On Mon-Fri AM I'm doing 45 minutes on the treadmill. Incline 1.0. Then 3.0 speed, 4.0 speed, 5.0 speed, 6.0, 7.0 (8:49 mile pace at 7.0) all at 1 min each. So 9 five minute intervals. Then a 5 minute walk warmdown. Gradually looking to ramp up the speed here as I get in better shape and lose more of the gut.

Mon-Fri PM. Either 45 minute on stationary bike for warmup or 30-45 minute on stairmaster. Then weights/abs, then 30 minutes on elliptical...steady intensity to warm down.

On either Sat or Sun (whichever I don't take off), I do a similar routine to Mon-Fri PM.

Eating a can of tuna for breakfast, then another for lunch this week prior to the 2nd workout to maximize fat loss. Then a 400-600 cal dinner. Trying to avoid pasta...I didn't have much weight loss last week probably due to having a high carb meal after the 2nd workout.

When I do my "cheat day", its typically during a hangover after a night of going out to club/drinking/dancing. So I think the vodka and beer likely contribute to the increased number when I get back on the scale on Monday. I don't drink during the week at all...just whenever I go out to hear some house/techno music.

Getting from 290 to 270 was a breeze.

Getting through the 260s took alot longer. Probably because of the high carb meal before bed (my guess). I'm finding my cravings for carbs/higher calories hits hardest after that 2nd workout where the lifting is involved.

One thing I'm noticing, I'm feeling the weight loss in my face, back, chest, arms, basically everywhere except the gut yet. I guess that will have to come later. My pants are fitting much better but I have yet to need new sizes.
  4. Jenky

Jenky Well-Known Member

3,344 Messages
    784 Likes Received
    Just eye balling here, but it looks to me like you are under-eating big time. I don't know your stats and caloric needs.

Eventually metabolism slows down, and re-feeds are strategically used to speed it up and promote further weightloss.

Alcohol will kick your *** big time, if you plan on lifting heavy.
  5. Stryker44

Stryker44 Active Member

927 Messages
    75 Likes Received
    So you think it would be good to cut out the 30-45 minute bike ride and 30 min elliptical warmdown in the afternoon and focus on lifting heavier to reach my goal by June? Right now I'm doing fairly light weight/high reps. Very much in a quick boom boom fashion. For example today I'd do:

1. Dumbell press, pec dec back to back (2 sets each, dumbell press, then pec dec, dumbell press, pec dec, 1 min rest after both sets)
    2. Lateral raises, reverse pec dec back to back (2 sets each, 1 min rest after both sets)
    3. Lat pulldown, seated row back to back (2 sets each)

Thank you for all your input! As for the alcohol - I notice that I feel miserable on Monday AM when I hit the treadmill.
  6. Jenky

Jenky Well-Known Member

3,344 Messages
    784 Likes Received
    It sounds to me like you want to drop the weight. I'm assuming this is your primary goal.

If it is, diet and cardio is what you need to stick with. I was under the impression that you were lifting to maintain muscle while cutting away the fat.

Usually, when you want to build muscle you basically go into a caloric surplus. However, you can build muscle when you are a complete beginner without being in a caloric surplus. The body is put into a state of shock where it is forced to adapt quickly with the current nutrients being taken in.

So most people would agree that:

Building muscle = Caloric surplus
    Losing weight = Caloric deficit

Cardio will become counter productive to gaining muscle as you become more advanced in lifting.

If you want to lose the weight first you can always go back and start lifting once you hit 190. I think you are just trying to do too much in a small frame.
  7. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

3,102 Messages
    1,299 Likes Received
    Dude, don't eat too much Tuna every day or you may get mercury poisoning.
  8. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

38,900 Messages
    4,465 Likes Received
    You are swimming against the current and in the wrong direction.

If you wish to preserve muscle mass or enhance it you have to give your body the fuel it needs to exercise. If they are no glycogen stores in your liver then your body will break down protein and fat to make glucose and it is indiscriminate. IOWs you are breaking down protein from brain, liver, heart, muscles, yada to support your glucose needs.

Eat carbs then go exercise. Eat a balanced diet slightly below your metabolic needs and I mean slightly. Exercise will increase your basal metabolic rate and the exercise will use more calories.

You probably need 2800 calories a day at least for your level of exercise. That's just a guess and its probably on the low side so you need to adjust them up or down depending on your weight loss.

IMO you are losing weight too rapidly. You are consuming about 50% fat and 50% protein from your body in your loss. The fat is good but the protein not so good.

Read up on exercise and nutritional needs. There's loads of stuff out there just be sure to get it from good sources.

A low carb high protein diet is great for weight loss but you have to give your body enough carbs to fuel itself. GL.
  9. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,885 Messages
    7,624 Likes Received
    If you're low carbing to get into a ketogenic state, then cheating can easily throw you out of ketosis and unravel much of what you're doing. That said, you can afford some protein and healthy fat cheats now and then, and I recommend them.

As far as your cardio goes, I'd recommend looking into HIIT/interval training. You'll be bigger weight loss benefits in a lot less time.

Get a good multivitamin. Get lots of sleep, too.
  10. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,023 Messages
    2,258 Likes Received
    If you feel like you need the cheat day then do it. If not then don't do it. Don't just cheat to cheat.

Yes, you will put on a little weight from that day, but in 2 or 3 days it will be gone.

It's probably best to do it every 10 days but do whatever works for you.

Also... How many grams of carbs are you eating a day? How many total calories? Just curious.

You're doing good but you're losing weight because you're on a calorie deficit. Not because you cut out carbs. Although lowering Carbs is beneficial during weight loss and helps retain more muscle. Cutting them out all together isn't a good idea though and will effect your energy. Especially during your workouts.
  11. Stryker44

Stryker44 Active Member

927 Messages
    75 Likes Received
    Thanks everyone! I know I'm going to hit pleateaus here and there in terms of the weight loss. I'd like to build muscle - but that's not my priority until I get to where I want to be in weight and body fat.

After that I'd like to put on good muscle. But I don't want to lose too much strength while cutting weight as well. Its a tough balance.

One more question - has anybody else that has done something similar noticed that the abdominal fat seems to be the last to go? I'm feeling toned everywhere else in my body except my gut already. Maybe I just have to be patient. I'm still wearing a size 42. Want to be wearing a 33 or 34 when this is said and done.
  12. Jenky

Jenky Well-Known Member

3,344 Messages
    784 Likes Received
    Abdominal fat is typically the last to go in males, for females, I think it's thighs and glutes.
  13. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,137 Messages
    6,918 Likes Received
    Depends on what the woman's problem area is. Some gain weight in their abdomen, but they're lower body is fine.

The bold is definitely mine... :eek::
  14. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,023 Messages
    2,258 Likes Received
    Thats my problem. Im actually a good size right now but in order to get that ripped look I need to get super lean before I bulk up.

So right now im about 15 pounds away from being really lean but the cheat meal will throw me off at least 3 days so im thinking about just scrapping it all together and sprinting to the finish so I can get back to a normal life and start a bulk.
  15. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I gotten to 21 lbs and I plateau again. I am going for the long lean muscle and not the bulk. I need to lose about 40more lbs before aug 2014 to put me at a great weight for my 12 days at Philmont coming.

From their I have about 20 more lbs to put me at my ideal weight I like to lose 25lbs more by July
  16. Stryker44

Stryker44 Active Member

927 Messages
    75 Likes Received
    I hear ya...the biggest motivator for me right now is the improving self-confidence I feel as a result of this program.

I want to be able to take off my shirt again in front of women and not feel embarrassed. I know that's going to require alot of work - but its what gets me going when I don't feel like hitting the gym.
  17. Lonestar94

Lonestar94 Well-Known Member

3,523 Messages
    724 Likes Received
    Work out during the week. Let Saturday and Sunday be your rest days and enjoy yourself. Just don't overdue the food.
  18. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,316 Messages
    219 Likes Received
    Couple of things.

• Losing weight too quickly isn't safe and generally results in regaining the weight. The more weight you need to lose, the more weight you can generally lose safely. That said, losing more than 8lbs in a month generally is not a good idea. A pound is 3,500 calories. 8lbs is about 28,000 calories. That is almost a 1,000 calories a day deficit. To eliminate more might not be safe. (unless your calorie intake was well over 3,500 already)
    • Gaining a couple of pounds on a single cheating down would suggest not cheating, but eating two or more birthday cakes in that day!
    • Low carb diets have a side effect if not done properly. Kidney stones. Be careful. I'm positive you do not want to have to pass one. A *proper* diet is important and those stupid low carb diets some people and companies sell you are terrible on the body.
    • Finally, best of luck! I'm pulling for you!
  19. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,971 Messages
    471 Likes Received

I think he should keep lifting. Just lift to cut down with high reps low weight, then do your Cardio as well.
  20. rickjameschinaclub

rickjameschinaclub Benched

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Your absolutely insane if your doing that much cardio and not eating carbs, plus your routine is setting you up for over-training. There is a reason why athletes carb-load before events and with strenuous activity. Losing weight is ultimately about calories.