1. Like to discuss POLITICS? Come join us at PUNNDITS.com!
    If you like discussing politics and other related topics then your new home (hopefully) for doing just that can be found on Punndits.com! Come join us and help us grow Punndits into a wonderful and safe place to discuss politics with everyone.
    Dismiss Notice

LSU G Herman Johnson downsizes

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Mar 14, 2009.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,173 Messages
    178 Likes Received
    LSU G Herman Johnson downsizes
    3:52 PM Sat, Mar 14, 2009 | Permalink
    Rick Gosselin E-mail News tips
    When Herman Johnson arrived at LSU out of Denton High School in 2004, he immediately picked up a nickname.

"Marcus Spears teased me, `You're as big as a house. We're going to start calling you `The House,'" Johnson said. "It stuck."

Johnson weighed 411 pounds at the time. He became a starter as a sophomore and dropped weight over time, finishing his college career at 386. Then he went to the Senior Bowl.

"A lot of (NFL) teams told me I looked good but that I'd be even better if I could drop some weight," Johnon said. "So I tried to drop as much weight as I could in the short period of time I had."

Johnson worked with a nuitrionist and also did more cardio exercises as he prepared for the NFL scouting combine. The House downsized to a condo. Johnson checked in there at 364 pounds. That's where he'd like to stay.

"I feel a lot more comfortable," Johnson said. "But there are a lot of defensive tackles in this league at 360. You can't go in their light with no strength. These guys are a lot quicker and a lot faster in the NFL. In college you have some guys who have the potential -- but the NFL is a whole different game with the size of those defensive tackles."