1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Luck Reportedly Expected to Sign with Peyton Manning’s Agent

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Doomsday101, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,057 Messages
    3,535 Likes Received
    Can you say awwwwwkward? In a column at Yahoo! Sports, Jason Cole says Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck is expected to choose Peyton Manning‘s agents to represent him. Luck is expected to be the top pick in the NFL draft, although some teams reportedly prefer Baylor quarterback Robert Griffin III. We’ve already heard that Peyton Manning may try to force a trade if the Colts drafts Luck, so this makes matters even more complicated.

Tom Condon and Ben Dogra at Creative Artists Agency (CAA) may end up in a messy situation. If they sign Luck as a client, they’ll try to get him drafted first overall. They’ll also try to negotiate the best possible contract for him, and they might prefer that he begins playing immediately. Would that motivate them to push for Peyton to be traded? I would think so.

http://larrybrownsports.com/football/andrew-luck-sign-peyton-mannings-agent/105640
  2. SkinsHokieFan

SkinsHokieFan Well-Known Member

2,243 Messages
    36 Likes Received

I don't understand why people think Peyton is tradeable.

He is not

Manning will either retire, get cut if the Colts draft Luck
  3. Sonny#9

Sonny#9 Well-Known Member

1,576 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    There is an outside chance that the Rams would land the #1 overall...that would be interesting!
  4. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    Tom Condon is not a good choice; frankly. Luck would do better with someone else not so roundly despised by ownership.
  5. EGTuna

EGTuna Active Member

380 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    The Worst Gift You Can Get for Peyton Manning This Christmas: An Adrew Luck jersey.
  6. Doomsday101

78,057 Messages
    3,535 Likes Received
    Note to myself send the entire Manning family Luck Jerseys. :laugh2:

Archie gets 2 since he controls where his little boys play. :laugh2:
  7. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Not happening. :laugh2:

Colts will draft Luck and he'll sit 3-4 years till Manning retires and then he'll take over.
  8. Doomsday101

78,057 Messages
    3,535 Likes Received
    I think that is what will happen as well. Archie Manning comments did not help matter and has lead to the trade talk.
  9. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,905 Messages
    2,715 Likes Received
    Smart move by Luck. He creates a conflict of interest here for Condon ensuring that either he will be traded or Manning will. He would most likely be the one dealt due to Manning's huge contract.

I wouldn't hate being Bill Polian right now. He could fleece a team like the Redskins and get pieces that the Colts desperately need.
  10. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    I don't know why it is assumed that Manning couldn't be traded.

If he's going to be back to normal for a few years, it's no more difficult for any team to carry that contract than it is for the Colts to carry it.

The only way nobody would want to take that contract on is if they are unsure that Manning would be back to normal and able to play for 4 or 5 years.

Personally, if I were the Colts GM this wouldn't force my hand at all. I'd continue on with what it is in the best interest of the team.

Luck has no bargaining power in the matter. IIRC, the new CBA actually punishes drafted players who refuse to sign their predetermined salary.
  11. SkinsHokieFan

2,243 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    Why would Andrew Luck be willing to sit on the bench for 3-4 years? And how will the Colts offer him a contract extension if he sits on the bench for 3-4 years?

The last thing that is happening is this

These arguments are getting old

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/07/colts-cant-pay-and-trade-peyton/

Kravitz, who covers the Colts for the Indianapolis Star, points out that, if the Colts pay Peyton and then trade him, the Colts will absorb a 2012 salary cap charge of $38.8 million. And if the Colts trade Peyton Manning in 2013, the cap charge would drop to only $28.8 million.

Absent a willingness by Peyton to move the due date of his payment, a trade becomes impossible. Thus, if Peyton tells the Colts “my contract is my contract,” they’ll have to cut him, or they’ll have to keep him for at least two more seasons.
  12. SkinsHokieFan

2,243 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    If Luck is who us followers of CFB think he will be, 2-3 first round picks is well worth it.

Essentially I am being asked if I would trade the chance to draft 3 players in the 16 to 32 range (as the Redskins would go from mediocre bad, to at least mediocre good with mediocre QB play)

After 3 years, your picks go back to normal and you still have Andrew Luck for the next 10 years. If he is playing at an Aaron Rodgers level in 7 years, those picks are well worth it

Along with that, Polian will be competeing with the Rams.

Lets just say, oh I dunno, the Redskins have RG3 at the top of their board and Luck number 2.

They know that whoever trades up for number 1 overall will take Luck. Why not spend less to get to number 2 for RG3?

The depth of this class+Peyton's health is going to make the value of that pick less then what people expect now. There are so many variables in this that anybody tossing out "Fleecing" or specific "three 1sts and two 2nds" is being foolish.
  13. Doomsday101

78,057 Messages
    3,535 Likes Received
    I actually think the best thing that could happen to him for the long haul is to go to the colts and sit 2 or 3 years. As a rookie #1 if he has to start right away chances are it will be for a bad team who has a high draft pick and the added pressure of being expected to have big success early on. Sitting and learning without getting beat to death I think in the long haul is more of a benifet
  14. SkinsHokieFan

2,243 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    Because thats what Big Ben did.

Sitting for 2-3 years while on his short 4 year rookie deal does not help Luck's value, nor does it help the Colts in evaluating his 2nd contract value.

You can't have a rookie QB sit for 2-3 years anymore with the limited amount of time you have before making the 2nd deal. You gotta have him starting for at least 30 games to get a real good evaluation before his contract year, because who knows what issues you'll have to deal with.

Essentially, you aren't going to let Andrew Luck be unextended going into the final year of his rookie deal. Thats playing with big time fire
  15. Hoofbite

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    I hadn't read that.

Then again, I'm not all up to date on his contract so I was unaware that his contract plus Luck's rookie contract would account for 1/3 of the entire Colt's cap until you had told us all about it...............

And of course, as the article states Peyton could push his pay date back and avoid the problem that prevents the trade.

So, Peyton could push it back or potentially get cut and get nothing close to what he is scheduled to get.
  16. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    yeah. The shorter contracts have all but assured no QB will get to sit for more than a year before being tossed to the wolves.
  17. Hoofbite

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    They could sit him for 3 years, start him the 4th year and option for the 5th year and start him.

Problem avoided. 32 games started.
  18. SkinsHokieFan

2,243 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    Luck isn't going to be sitting around for 3 years when the likes Ryan Tannehill are 2 year starters by then for their teams.

He is going to be a day 1 starter next year. Either for the Colts or some other team

You aren't dealing with the 24th overall pick in the draft. You are dealing with the number 1 overall pick
  19. Hoofbite

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    So no 1st overall pick has ever sat?

You keep saying that you can't sit the 1st overall pick when the truth is, you can.

The reason most don't sit is because the 1st overall pick usually goes to a team that doesn't have a QB.....that's why they are drafting so high.

Eli didn't start day 1.

Neither did Rivers. Rivers didn't start until year 3.

#1 and #2 overall from the same draft. Neither were 1st day starters.
  20. Doomsday101

78,057 Messages
    3,535 Likes Received
    Sure you can, GB did it with Rodgers.