1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Lunar Eclipse

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by The Emperor, Dec 21, 2010.

1. The Emperor

The Emperor Marcus Aurelius Maximus

3,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I just got done viewing it. They're not as exciting as they used to be.
  2. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,523 Messages
    2,211 Likes Received
    Still pretty cool.
  3. kristie

kristie Well-Known Member

7,570 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    crap. missed it. :(
  4. SaltwaterServr

SaltwaterServr Blank Paper Offends Me

8,124 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Clouds rolled in the first fifteen minutes of it.

Reluctantly, I went inside and started categorizing around 3000 photos of very attractive models by pose position.
  5. Signals

Signals Suspicious looking stranger

4,583 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Did you have a 'Full Moon-No Eclipse' category? :D
  6. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I saw that last one that happen when I was in Cozumel. I didn't make this one though. It happen to late here on the east coast. I have to get up way to early for that.
  7. SaltwaterServr

8,124 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah, but they have to stay out of this collection. Different genre.

These were around 750 head shots, fashion, swim wear, lingerie, and implied nudes. Basically building a new posing book for myself in addition to the ones I have bought or already put together.
  8. The Emperor

3,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Hoofbite, they are cooler than a full moon, but not as exciting as a solar eclipse. I haven't been outside and not looked at the sun while one of those was going on. The last one we had here in the United States was an annular eclipse back in May 1994.

NYC, I know what you mean. I was already up late anyway. So I figured I'd stay up an extra hour to see it.
  9. The Emperor

3,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Is this a joke, or are you actually working on this project?
  10. HoleInTheRoof

HoleInTheRoof Benched

3,265 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Not nearly as exciting as a total eclipse of the heart.
  11. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,044 Messages
    794 Likes Received

It was pretty cool cause it's the first one I've ever seen and it was the first time my 9 year old son saw one. So it was pretty darn cool to me.
  12. The Emperor

3,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    What? The first one you've ever seen? How were you not able to make the past five in the last twenty years?
  13. Mitcha68

Mitcha68 Member

272 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I had Dark Side of the Moon on while I watched the eclipse, pretty cool when you have a sound track. :D
  14. SaltwaterServr

8,124 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Not a joke. It's a project for a new LLC I'm working on with a few other people. We hope to be up and running by April.
  15. Faerluna

Faerluna I'm Complicated

5,143 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    [youtube]Yhd_i2ak-wg[/youtube]
  16. SaltwaterServr

8,124 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That reminds me of the scene in Ocean's 11 where the demolition guy is watching the building being blown up on TV, when it's live right outside his window.
  17. Signals

Signals Suspicious looking stranger

4,583 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I just got done reading your thread. It wasn't that great either. ;) :D
  18. Sam I Am

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Thanks for posting that Faerluna.

I've got a large 10" dobsonian telescope I would have loved to had out when that happen, but it happen too late and well; I probably wouldn't have been fond of sitting outside in 20 degree weather either.
  19. SaltwaterServr

8,124 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I've been meaning to ask you about the scope. That was what, $300-$400? How do you like it? I really want to get a decent one. I can remember the first time I saw Saturn through a telescope. One of those memories that won't fade, ever.
  20. Sam I Am

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I have a 10" Zummel Dobsonian. They run about $499, but they have 8" that I believe are $379.

Honestly though. If you want a scope that gives you the best light for deep space objects a dobsonian is by far the way to go. That said, if you aren't an active astronomer, go with a 6" dobsonian or a different type of scope all together. My 10" dob weights about 60-70lbs and stands 4 1/2 feet tall and I have to move it in two parts. (the barrel and the base) It's not easy to store either unless you've got a closet with free standing space.

For size comparison this is the exact scope I have. Of course that isn't me or my scope. I'm more in better shape than that guy and am are far more sexy. :D

[IMG]

As for how good my telescope is, it absolutely rocks. It would be 1000x better if I were not in the New York City metro area. The light pollution here is horrible. One thing I could recommend is find an astronomy group near you and when they have an outing, go. Check out there scopes and find one you like in your price range.

As for Saturn through a telescope. It is one of those sights that make you say WOW. Actually, when you first see the moon through a good telescope it does the same thing. Most people don't expect it to look the way it does. Jupiter is out early in the evenings right now too. (it's the biggest brightest star out around 10pm) If you look through a telescope you can see it only has one of it's normal two weather belts around it.

Normal two stripes:
    [IMG]

How it looks today with only one stripe
    [IMG]