1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Twitter: Machota: Romo changed play on 3rd and goal play; Dez didn't know

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Sep 16, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,137 Messages
    6,918 Likes Received
    Jon Machota ‏@jonmachota 6m
    Watching Cowboys game again. On 3rd and goal from the 9 with 7:47 to go in the third, Romo changed the play and Dez never knew what it was.

That's the play Romo threw a screen to Williams instead of taking advantage of the single coverage on Dez. Result: 2-yard gain. Field goal.
  2. pugilist

pugilist dwarecwby311

2,701 Messages
    801 Likes Received
    my issue(s) are the 1st and 2nd down play calls.. why not one fade attempt to Dez?

just so much fail all around on that redzone series
    Duane, DavidS and Frozen700 like this.
  3. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

6,203 Messages
    2,014 Likes Received
    That play was a disaster from beginning to end.
    DCBoysfan likes this.
  4. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

6,210 Messages
    682 Likes Received
    did anybody see Dez pouting and mad at the sidelines after that? he knew he could get it done on single coverage but Romo never even looked at him.
    brymatt94 and ufcrules1 like this.
  5. RXP

RXP Well-Known Member

3,037 Messages
    1,238 Likes Received
    Just a terrible decision by Romo. To ignore Dez when he is one-on-one near the end zone is inexcusable. That should never happen And I'm a Romo supporter.
  6. Lonestar94

Lonestar94 Well-Known Member

3,523 Messages
    724 Likes Received
    God this team is so stupid.. Quit tryin to outsmart everyone else and throw the ball to the playmaker.
  7. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

6,203 Messages
    2,014 Likes Received
    Yea I saw that.
  8. khiladi

khiladi Well-Known Member

12,322 Messages
    2,214 Likes Received

So his observation was based upon 'watching the Cowboys game gain'?
    links18 likes this.
  9. nake

nake Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,565 Messages
    996 Likes Received
    Sheesh. Williams was tackled by three unblocked Chiefs simultaneously with another three Chiefs standing around them watching.
    khiladi likes this.
  10. khiladi

12,322 Messages
    2,214 Likes Received
    We have no idea if Romo audibled out of it, and he did, why was such a stupid play call among the options Romo was given? If Romo was looking at Dez as the first read, then no way in hell he would have audibled out of it, unless he had a brain stroke.

In my opinion, whether it was a call or not, Romo is at fault for not simply recognizing it and calling a pass to Dez.
    Dion2288, links18 and ufcrules1 like this.
  11. RXP

RXP Well-Known Member

3,037 Messages
    1,238 Likes Received
    LOL! Everybody else seem to notice this right away.
    khiladi likes this.
  12. Hoov

Hoov Senior Member

5,275 Messages
    576 Likes Received
    yes, i caught that too. When i saw the thread title i was hoping for some insider info
    links18 and khiladi like this.
  13. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,186 Messages
    2,027 Likes Received
    And why would you throw a screen to Williams? He's not overly big, he's not overly quick. He's a long stride guy that will probably do most of his damage on go routes. I just didn't understand any of that. I don't know what Tony saw there but whatever it was, I didn't see it.

It is what it is.
    Carharris2, ufcrules1 and khiladi like this.
  14. Hoov

Hoov Senior Member

5,275 Messages
    576 Likes Received
    i really would like to know what was the original play call there and what the different options were because what we saw just looks awful
    khiladi likes this.
  15. Pessimist_cowboy

Pessimist_cowboy Well-Known Member

2,307 Messages
    781 Likes Received
    terrible decision by romo
    khiladi likes this.
  16. Zman5

Zman5 Well-Known Member

5,915 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
  17. RXP

RXP Well-Known Member

3,037 Messages
    1,238 Likes Received
    The original play call had to have been the screen and Romo refused to audible out of it.

The idea that Romo would have audibled out of going to Dez and to go to that screen instead seems too preposterous to believe. It would be a firing offense.
    links18 and khiladi like this.
  18. mugsybows

mugsybows Well-Known Member

324 Messages
    265 Likes Received
    on the radio today everyone is talking about this play the most. it has everybody baffled why they would do that with Dez 1 on 1.
  19. khiladi

12,322 Messages
    2,214 Likes Received

That is what I'm saying.. If the Dez play is the original play, then you don't audible out of it, cause you got one-on-one coverage on your best WR. That is exactly the coverage you want. It had to have been the original play and Romo just went with it. Why he refused to audible out of it, I don't get... It looks like to me, one could make the case, he just wasn't paying attention and was set on the screen. Dez was holding up his arms, but it didn't look like Romo paid any real attention.
  20. 50cent

50cent Well-Known Member

2,586 Messages
    387 Likes Received
    My problem is that on 1st and goal from the 5, WE PASSED! I'm glad DMurray spoke out about the lack of run plays called and put it on the coaches.
    jobberone likes this.