1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Mad Men

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Maikeru-sama, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I watched about 30 minutes of the 1st episode over the weekend and the episode and the characters introduced were pretty boring. Is the first episode a great indication of what the entire series will be like or does it get more interesting down the line?
  2. mldardy

mldardy Well-Known Member

6,368 Messages
    525 Likes Received
    Part of watching most if not all TV shows is to give it more than 30 minutes. There is a thing called character development and developing a story and theme that you need to be patient when watching a TV show. Mad Men is definitely one of those shows.
  3. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Stick with it. If I can watch Good Times and What's Happening?, you can watch this.
  4. Maikeru-sama

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That's an extremely bizarre comment.
  5. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,023 Messages
    139 Likes Received
    I found the characters in Mad Men to be unengaging. Few were likeable as they developed. The evocation of the '60's is very good, but sometimes it beat out the players for being the most interesting thing in the show. I ended up giving up on it. So perhaps it did end up getting better, but it didn't do it fast enough to keep my interest.
  6. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,794 Messages
    556 Likes Received
    To each his own, but I found almost all of the characters to be engaging. The ones that are not likeable are intentionally so. It has an extremely well-developed ensemble.
  7. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,374 Messages
    846 Likes Received
    seriously? there is real depth and complexity to the characters. plus, as a bonus, each episode gives you an excuse to drink excessive amount of liquor
  8. Maikeru-sama

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I will watch at least 2-3 more episodes.

If it is just more of the same, it's time to move on and check out Breaking Bad.
  9. arglebargle

5,023 Messages
    139 Likes Received
    It probably wasn't helped, for me, by beating out Dexter in various awards. I thought Dexter was a better show, with a great ensemble cast as well. Doesn't help that I think marketing and advertising are the debbil!

To give Mad Men credit, I did at least watch it for awhile, and that's more than most TV shows get nowadays.
  10. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,794 Messages
    556 Likes Received
    I couldn't get into Dexter. Became boring to me.
  11. arglebargle

5,023 Messages
    139 Likes Received
    I am very sad for you.....;)
  12. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Dexter is one of those shows that build slowly to a crazy ending. It reminds of The Wire in that way. I never expected the last season to end like it did.
  13. ethiostar

ethiostar Well-Known Member

6,307 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
  14. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,074 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    :lmao2::lmao::laugh2: What about The Jeffersons?
  15. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Never liked it as a stand-alone show. They were funnier when they were battling Archie every week.
  16. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

8,857 Messages
    105 Likes Received
    I haven't watched 'Mad Men', but you will not be disappointed when you get around to 'Breaking Bad'.
  17. mldardy

6,368 Messages
    525 Likes Received
    You can't give a show 2 or 3 episodes and give up. To me you need at least one season whether to stay with a show or quit on it. You need to give a show time to develop it's characters and storylines. That's the problem with people and TV watching these days. They want some quick, give-it-to-me now mentality instead letting the brilliance of a show develop. If I gave up after 2 or 3 shows I would have missed out on The Wire, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Six Feet Under and other brilliant shows because of my impatience.
  18. Maikeru-sama

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The Wire, Dexter and Six Feet Under are classics and early on, you got a sense that those shows were going to be special.

Mad Men is boring, none of the characters or themes are compelling enough to force me to watch and I will be moving on to Breaking Bad.

I cringed when the female character went to the doctor and the doctor immediately pulled out a smoke and proceeded to insinuate that she was a "loose" woman and these kinds of women have trouble finding a good man :eek: .

Next!!!
  19. CowboyMike

CowboyMike Stay Thirsty, My Friends

5,184 Messages
    66 Likes Received
    It's a shame you don't like it. I sort of felt the same way for the first couple episodes and then it got good. The character depth grabs you. Sometimes it's like "What was that?" but for some reason I keep coming back.

It's at least worth it for Christina Hendricks (Joan), damn...
  20. mldardy

6,368 Messages
    525 Likes Received
    Do you think part of the reason you are bored is because of the setting. It's in the 1960's, the outfits and the way things looked back then were pretty bland looking.