1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Make Of It What You Will...

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by SDogo, Sep 12, 2011.

1. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    *For the 2nd straight week Cowboys scouts will be in attendance to watch the Texas A&M Aggies. While there are some rumblings the Cowboys are showing interest in A&M QB Ryan Tannehill my bet is on Redshirt Senior CB Coryell Judie.

*As expected the Cowboys will be in attendance for what should be the first of several San Diego St Aztec games this season if early rumors hold true and the Cowboys are indeed as interested in Aztec QB Ryan Lindley as reports state. Lindley is holding a steady mid to late 2nd round grade in the early stages of the draft process.

*Cowboys scouts have cancelled a trip scheduled this week to visit Oregon adding fuel to the rumor that they have red flagged Ducks CB Cliff Harris. Off the field issues coupled with a electronically timed 4.7+ 40 in Spring Drills is probably not helping his cause.

*Take your guess but along with Texas A7M who I mentioned earlier, the only other teams the Cowboys will have scouted in consecutive weeks early into the season will be the Georgia Bulldogs and the Oklahoma St Cowboys.

*Other confirmed trips include, Georgia Tech vs Western Carolina, Baylor vs TCU, Ohio St vs Akron, Nebraska vs Chattanooga, Arizona vs Northern Arizona, Northern Illinois vs Kansas and UCF vs Boston College. I hope to have more updates later as obviously this is not a complete list.
  2. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,674 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Given the interest that Garrett supposedly had in Dalton, I wouldn't be surprised to see us go QB early (like 2nd or 3rd round), depending on where we pick. Yes, I know we have other needs, like CB, LB, DE, but finding Romo's successor is also important.

For those other teams you listed, any ideas who we're looking at?
  3. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

4,944 Messages
    227 Likes Received
    IMO, this is a good time to take a QB. Kinta will either retire or won't be resigned, and Mcgee should be the #2 QB. That gives us room to develop another QB.
  4. Chris in Arizona

Chris in Arizona I am Death

3,614 Messages
    488 Likes Received
    Any idea if they were looking at Brandon Boykin, Kwame Geathers, and/or Ben Jones? All 3 look like solid NFL players with Boykin having a chance to be special.
  5. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I fully expect the Cowboys to look QB early in this draft and by early I mean in the 1st three rounds. It's really just a strong feeling I'm getting from what I have heard.

Georgia Tech vs Western Carolina leaves me drawing blanks. My guess would be Tech CB Michael Peterson who has been making some waves early this year or Tech OLB/DE Jason Peters but I have nothing to support either of those names.

Considering one of the scouts sent to watch the Baylor vs TCU game has an extensive background working with Offensive Lineman I would assume Baylor OC Phillip Blake got a lot of attention.

Ohio St OT Mike Adams as well as OC Mike Brewster were with out a doubt the sole purpose of the visit to the Ohio St vs Akron game. I know the Cowboys have a great deal of interest in both those prospects.

Nebraska vs Chattanooga you can take your pick. I know for a fact the Cowboys love Nebraska DE Jared Crick and CB Alfonzo Dennard but they would have to blow this season to stand a chance at landing either. Interesting enough, this visit may not have had anything to do with the Cornhuskers and was more of an opportunity to scout Chattanooga QB B.J Coleman against top level competition.

Arizona QB Nick Foles is the obvious choice for Arizona vs Northern Arizona, I can confirm the interest there but just as much Arizona CB Robert Golden. I would expect this to be one of several trips to Arizona the Cowboys make.

I know there is a trend developing here but Northern Illinois QB Chandler Harnish is another QB I have heard tied to the Cowboys early and was probably the likely target at the NI vs Kansas game.

UCF CB Josh Robinson was with a doubt the reason for the visit to the UCF vs Boston College game. Matter of fact the Cowboys also have a tentative schedules trip to watch UCF vs SMU on October 15th as well.
  6. Bigdog

Bigdog Well-Known Member

1,546 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    SoDog, where have you been? I miss these little inside info we get from you and Hos. They are appreciated. Thanks.
  7. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received

Well Boykin is my early Pet Cat so I want to be a homer and play his cards. lol

Geathers is a BIG man but early in the process it once again appears the 325+ road block does not seem to be a target.

I think your headed down the right road with Ben Jones. Despite the youth movement along the OL we have seen so far, it appears Dallas is primed to make a real investment in the offensive line again this year.
  8. Chris in Arizona

Chris in Arizona I am Death

3,614 Messages
    488 Likes Received
    It's obviously early but I wouldn't be surprised if we drafted Ben Jones or Michael Brewster next year. Brewster is supposedly very high on the Cowboys list.
  9. windward

windward NFL Historian

14,807 Messages
    221 Likes Received
    Ryan Lindley is one of my pet cats. I caught a couple SDSU games last year and came away pretty impressed.
  10. cbow44

cbow44 Member

596 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Do we know if they like Robert Griffen at all
  11. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,492 Messages
    1,756 Likes Received
    I've heard the Baylor QB Griffen.
  12. Hostile

118,492 Messages
    1,756 Likes Received
    Juron Criner as well.
  13. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,144 Messages
    1,127 Likes Received
    Crick at Neb.
  14. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received

no Please
  15. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I love to get Brewster

but I think Costa has the job

I sure want Vontaze Burfict*, ILB, Arizona State
    Height: 6-3. Weight: 245.

top 15

but don't think we will be in that vicinity

but would I will take

Tank Carder, ILB, TCU
    Height: 6-2. Weight: 237.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.65.
    Projected Round (2012): 2-3.
  16. windward

windward NFL Historian

14,807 Messages
    221 Likes Received
    Hos, what do you think of Nick Foles?
  17. Hostile

118,492 Messages
    1,756 Likes Received
    Is an NFL project. May sneak into the 1st round after the combines. Accurate, not the strongest arm, but smart with the football most of the time. I think he's a 2nd or 3rd rounder, but with QB it can go up and he is 6'4" and has the prototype build. Likeable kid. Probably fits best in a WCO style system. Plays almost exclusively form the pocket at UA and that transitions hard to the NFL sometimes. I have a feeling Oakland will fall in love with him. No idea why I feel that way. He is good enough to play at the NFL level with the right coach.
  18. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If Ryan Tannehill has a season like he can and build on last years he will probably shot up the draft charts. he also was a very good wr for the Aggies before the current crop of young WR.
  19. windward

windward NFL Historian

14,807 Messages
    221 Likes Received
    Thanks.
  20. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    here my QB for 2012

Kirk Cousins, Michigan State
    Height: 6-3. Weight: 202.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.85.
    Projected Round (2012): 2.
    9/7/11: Cousins had some great throws in Michigan State's win over Youngstown State, but the Spartans didn't let Cousins air the ball out as much as other college quarterbacks. He completed 18-of-22 passes for 222 yards and one touchdown. The lack of attempts hurts Cousins' draft stock.

8/18/11: Kirk Cousins completed 66.9 percent of his passes for 2,825 yards with 20 touchdowns and 10 interceptions. Like Foles, Cousins’ numbers were similar to his sophomore year production when he completed 60 percent of his passes for 2,680 yards and 19 touchdowns with nine picks.

Cousins has a big enough arm to be a starting NFL quarterback. He is a good game-manager that could be a good quarterback to install in a play-action-based passing attack with a strong running game. When given time to throw Cousins is very effective. He struggles and makes bad decisions when he gets defensive linemen in his face. He will have to improve that to have a shot at sneaking into the first round. Cousins has good leadership skills. The smart and efficient signal caller is the type of quarterback that should have a solid senior year and is a safe bet to be a second-round draft pick.

QB James Vandenberg Iowa 6-3 #212

He has the tools to become a great quarterback one heck of an arm and a quick delivery, as showcased in 2009. He also spent a great deal of time learning from Stanzi, which no doubt included some of what not to do in a game situation, as well as learning how to watch game film