1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Maller: Rumors & Notes 6/4/07

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Hostile, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,902 Messages
    2,707 Likes Received
    According to an NFL source close to the situation, the Broncos are expected to sign veteran defensive tackle Sam Adams to a one-year contract. The deal, barring an unexpected breakdown, could be announced as soon as today. Adams is the biggest name remaining in a slim free-agent market. The 6-foot-4, 340-pound Adams, who turns 34 on June 13, would give Denver a massive player in the middle of its defensive front. Adams would fit perfectly into Jim Bates' system. Bates, the Broncos' new assistant head coach in charge of defense, loves big defensive tackles. Denver tried to fill the need when trading for Miami's Dan Wilkinson (6-4, 353) on March 3. But the trade was voided March 31 because Wilkinson never reported to the Broncos.

Although there is significant time before Vikings players have to report to training camp on July 25, CB Antoine Winfield said his issues will not get resolved. "I don’t think it’ll be any change, or anything like that," he said. "The team is not going to change," he later said. "Nothing is going to change. As for training camp, Winfield said he will be there.

The reality is Kris Jenkins isn’t here because he’s trying to force the Panthers’ hand. He either wants a new contract or wants to be traded, where he can then sign a new deal with more up-front money for doing nothing. My guess is if Jenkins doesn’t get a new contract he will hold out of training camp and the Panthers will eventually trade him. Either way, I think Jenkins has played his last down for the Panthers. I don’t see any way Panthers general manager Marty Hurney gives Jenkins a new contract and I don’t see anyway Jenkins returns under his current contract, which will pay him just under $10 million over the next three seasons.

Where does Eugene Wilson play? This one is tied directly to Asante Samuel’s potential holdout. If Wilson takes all of his reps at safety, then that hints the Pats believe there’s a chance of retaining Samuel. But if Wilson lines up at cornerback -- as he did last training camp -- then it’s possible the Pats are looking at him as their fallback opposite Ellis Hobbs. Wilson played corner at Illinois and only moved to safety following the release of Lawyer Milloy on the eve of the 2003 season opener. His reps over the next three days should provide, at worst, a road marker as for where negotiations with Samuel stand.

In three seasons as Pittsburgh's offensive coordinator, Ken Whisenhunt earned a reputation as a creative, successful play-caller. It is a role he will continue now that he is head coach of the Cardinals, even though his responsibilities are much broader than the call sheet in front of him. Whisenhunt enjoys the challenge of calling plays. He loves the preparation in the week leading up to the game and the excitement of making calls on game days. "I get an adrenaline rush from calling it," he said. The job will be more difficult now. In addition to play calls, Whisenhunt has to be concerned with all areas of the game, from time management to his defense's performance to the kicking game. ... Whisenhunt plans to rely heavily on assistant head coach/offensive line coach Russ Grimm and offensive coordinator Todd Haley. Whisenhunt's long-range plan is to eventually hand over the play calling to Haley. Whisenhunt said he is indebted to former Steelers coach Bill Cowher, who promoted Whisenhunt to offensive coordinator and allowed him to call plays. He would like to do the same for someone on his staff. When that will happen, Whisenhunt is not sure. "I feel like I was given an opportunity to do that and I feel an obligation to give other coaches a chance to do that," he said. "That's why you want to hire good young coaches who are coming up."

The injury news apparently got worse for Saints first-round draft choice Robert Meachem. Meachem did not participate in Sunday's afternoon practice. He wore a sleeve-type wrap on his right knee that extended from above his kneecap to below his ankle, after working apparently without injury during the morning session. He limped noticeably. Saints officials would not allow Meachem to speak with reporters after practice, saying the injury would be addressed after today's open-to-the-media organized team activity session. Coach Sean Payton left the practice field without speaking to reporters, who also were told Payton would speak today on what kept Meachem out of practice.

Perhaps Herman Edwards used his trademark line on HBO boss Ross Greenburg and NFL Films prez Steve Sabol, to convince them to make his Chiefs the focus of "Hard Knocks," HBO's reality training camp series. This August, HBO, along with NFL Films, will follow Edwards and his crew through the summer rigors. Since the Chiefs train in Wisconsin, "Hard Knocks" should have an old-time feel to it.

More than 100 motorcycle fans rode from Hogs & Heifers Saloon in lower Manhattan to Lighthouse yesterday to raise money for Tommy Urbanski, who was shot Feb. 19 shortly after he arrived for his shift as the morning manager/bouncer at Minxx Gentleman's Club in Las Vegas. The shooting occurred at an NBA All-Star Game weekend party after a brawl Las Vegas police say was started by Tennessee Titans cornerback Adam (Pacman) Jones. NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has suspended Jones for the 2007 season for his role in the Minxx brawl and numerous other off-field infractions. Jones has denied any involvement in the shooting. In late March, Las Vegas police recommended prosecutors charge Jones with felony coercion, misdemeanor battery and misdemeanor threats to life. But in April, the Clark County District Attorney's office told police to further investigate the shooting.

The Bengals are banking on Ahmad Brooks to contribute in the middle as the likely starter. He was picked in the third round of the supplemental draft in July. "He is a lot further ahead than where he finished the season," Lewis said. "Even his comfort in handling the huddle is a big difference." Brooks came to the Bengals with some character questions after his dismissal from the University of Virginia football team. Lewis was asked if Brooks understands the process of becoming a professional. "I think with Ahmad it will be a continual one, but we're willing to work with him on that because the upside potential is so great," Lewis said.

With running back Ricky Williams' return to the team still lingering with continued doubt, Lorenzo Booker likely will get an even greater opportunity to quickly show what he's capable of. ''I think he can [make an immediate impact],'' Dolphins running back Ronnie Brown said. ``He's doing a great job, learning everything on the move. He catching the ball well, and he isn't making a lot of mental mistakes.''

Despite his limited on-field participation, Patrick Kerney has made an immediate impact on his new team and teammates. The day after he agreed to sign, Kerney was in the weight room at the team's facility rehabbing his shoulder. He has been not only a regular in the ongoing offseason program, but one of the metronomes who sets the pace. None of this has come as a surprise. Kerney's leadership abilities and uncompromising approach to the game were part of what attracted the Seahawks, and prompted them to offer the former Atlanta Falcon a six-year, $39.5 million contract. Jim Mora knows all about Kerney's intangibles. He spent three seasons as the Falcons head coach before being hired in January to coach the Seahawks secondary.

Steelers nose tackle Casey Hampton is talking more than ever. Funny, because the new season is still three months away. Hampton is taking his role as one of the team's new leaders more seriously than a double-team block. In taking more ownership of the defense with the departure of fiery linebacker Joey Porter, he also accepts more responsibility. "I have been a leader. I have been a vocal guy in the locker room. People didn't know it because Joey was our vocal leader. That was who you always saw out front talking," Hampton said. "Now that he's gone, I'll probably step up and talk more. I know the guys look at me as a leader."

Fred Gibson, the one-time promising collegiate star turned NFL footnote, has morphed from a Falcons roster hopeful to a player "very much in the mix." The speedy 6-foot-4 wide receiver has created a buzz during the Falcons' offseason drills by making plays — albeit in non-contact drills — at a position that needs playmakers. ... The recent injury to veteran Brian Finneran opened up opportunity for Gibson and the others. Though the extent of the injury Finneran suffered in mid-May, to the surgically repaired knee that sidelined him for the 2006 season, has yet to be disclosed, Bobby Petrino said Finneran likely would have surgery in the near future. No timetable was put on Finneran's return, if at all.

Vikings GM Rick Spielman on first-round pick Adrian Peterson, a running back from Oklahoma: "He is even more of a threat in the passing game than we anticipated because we never got to see it," Spielman said. "We saw in the workouts that he could catch the ball, but putting him out here and putting him in our scheme, he can do some special things in the passing game. The other thing you notice about him, everybody talks about his upright running style, but this guy has made some moves in space and on people at the second level [in the secondary] that are pretty unique. He's been pretty exciting to watch."
  2. AtlCB

AtlCB Active Member

3,684 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I sure hope Pacman contributes some money to this cause.
  3. CrazyCowboy

CrazyCowboy Well-Known Member

32,178 Messages
    155 Likes Received
    nice read....thanks
  4. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    Don't hear much about that Antoine Winfield situation. I was surprised. It's not a big deal that he didn't attend (I think these OTAs will go the way of the dinosaurs evetually - or they won't be voluntary anymore, otherwise only rookies and new guys will show)

His reasons are eye-popping tho.
  5. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Zone Supporter

28,372 Messages
    1,874 Likes Received
    October 21 is going to be a very interesting game. Here's hoping that we have speed opposite Ware to cover Adrian whenever he runs out in the flats. He's certainly capable of taking one to the house anytime he gets his hands on the ball.
  6. Hailmary

Hailmary Well-Known Member

2,265 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    The Bengals are banking on Ahmad Brooks to contribute in the middle as the likely starter. He was picked in the third round of the supplemental draft in July. "He is a lot further ahead than where he finished the season," Lewis said. "Even his comfort in handling the huddle is a big difference." Brooks came to the Bengals with some character questions after his dismissal from the University of Virginia football team. Lewis was asked if Brooks understands the process of becoming a professional. "I think with Ahmad it will be a continual one, but we're willing to work with him on that because the upside potential is so great," Lewis said.

Hmm....

Wonder if Brooks' ability to stay out of trouble and his show of productivity will in any way affect Oliver positively.
  7. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    Don't be ridiculous. Everyone knows that Wade isn't stupid enough to ask his LBs to play in coverage. If he did, we'd have all manner of "I'm tired of seeing Ware covering downfield....blah...Phillips doesn't know what he's doing!"

Rabble.
  8. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,256 Messages
    184 Likes Received
    The way I see it, NFL teams should be able to sue players for the remainder on their contract who hold out. If you don't like the contract, don't f'in sign it in the first place. If you think you can get a bigger contract next season, then only sign a one year deal. Jenkins gambled and lossed. It's not the Panthers problem, it was his. If he holds out, the Panthers should be able to sue for the full $10 million and he should not be able to play for another team until his contract is fulfilled by either paying the full $10 million or playing out the terms of the contract.

Ask the Orlando Magic how they feel about all the cash they paid Grant Hill... The Magic signed the deal and they had to deal with it.
  9. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    what was interesting was the quote from the coach saying the process of becoming a professional would be a continual one for Brooks. I would love for him to have explained that a little further.
  10. Sam I Am

31,256 Messages
    184 Likes Received
    I'm so pissed off we couldn't get him and I can't tell you how much more I will be disappointed when/if we get stuck with McFadden.
  11. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Zone Supporter

28,372 Messages
    1,874 Likes Received
    You've got it all wrong. It's not about the linebackers. It's the cornerbacks, silly. Henry can't cover his man AND the running back out of the backfield--even though it's not his assignment. Keep up, man! :mad:

And I still haven't forgiven you for posing the Captain Picard gif. :p:

I just have to ask ya. Do you watch much SEC football?

McFadden's all that and then some. Book it. ;)
  12. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Still clinging to your conviction that Brooks isn't all that, eh??
  13. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    Well he certainly wasn't last year, was he? And one of the main reasons I was down on him was charactor. Sounds to me like Lewis is worried as well. Which says something when you are talking about the Bungles.
  14. Hostile

118,902 Messages
    2,707 Likes Received
    I guess you will have to explain that in bold to me Burm. I didn't see anything in Marvin Lewis' quote that suggested he is still worried.
  15. Sam I Am

31,256 Messages
    184 Likes Received
    He isn't half of what Peterson is. Watch all the games you want. McFadden has blazing speed, but generally goes down when he makes contact. Peterson on the other hand also has blazing speed and he (like Emmitt used to do) bounces off would-be tacklers.

Case closed and nailed shut and buried under 10 tons of concreate. Peterson is easily twice the back McFadden is. The only worry you have about Peterson is his ability to keep his center of gravity low which will prevent most injuries.

McFadden == Reggie Bush.

Peterson = Emmitt Smith with speed. (Something Emmitt never had)
  16. dargonking999

dargonking999 DKRandom

11,806 Messages
    172 Likes Received

I can explain it in one word:

Agenda
  17. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received

Lewis was asked if Brooks understands the process of becoming a professional. "I think with Ahmad it will be a continual one, but we're willing to work with him on that because the upside potential is so great

Think he's focusing on continual, and subsequent continuing to work with him.
  18. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
  19. Hostile

118,902 Messages
    2,707 Likes Received
    LOL

That's grasping at straws. Bolding some parts of the original.

Maybe it's just me, but it sounds to me like they really like the kid and have high hopes
  20. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    I didn't say it wasn't a stretch. Just guessing that that was what was focused on. We see what we want to see, I guess. Read a little too much into Lewis' comments.