1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Man accused of slapping crying boy on Delta flight is out of a job

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by joseephuss, Feb 19, 2013.

1. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,760 Messages
    928 Likes Received
    http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/18/travel/crying-boy-assault/index.html

Man accused of slapping crying boy on Delta flight is out of a job

(CNN) -- An Idaho man accused of uttering a racial slur and slapping a crying 19-month-old boy on a Delta Air Lines flight is now out of a job.

Joe Rickey Hundley of Hayden, Idaho, was charged with assaulting a minor in the February 8 incident. His company, which initially suspended him, said Sunday that Hundley no longer has his job.

"Reports of the recent behavior of one of our business unit executives while on personal travel are offensive and disturbing," said a statement from AGC Aerospace & Defense. "We have taken this matter very seriously and worked diligently to examine it since learning of the matter on Friday afternoon.

"As of Sunday, the executive is no longer employed with the company."

AGC Aerospace & Defense supplies technology and other services to the military and businesses.

Hundley's attorney, Marcia Shein, said her client is being unfairly portrayed.

"This has escalated into a racist issue and I want to be clear he is not a racist," Shein said.

She said that Hundley is dealing with unspecified issues.

The attorney for the child's family, John Thompson, said the family has not decided yet whether to sue. But he said Monday family members believe Hundley should be punished beyond the loss of his job and possible one-year federal prison sentence.

"The family wants to make sure that Mr. Hundley and anyone like Mr. Hundley never does something like that again," he said on CNN's "Starting Point."
  2. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,959 Messages
    757 Likes Received
    If that had been my child then losing his job would have been the least of his worries.
  3. BringBackThatOleTimeBoys

BringBackThatOleTimeBoys Active Member

904 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    Don't know if it's always been this way or not, but there seems to be more stories of people that can't control their temper and/or exercise common sense.

Considering the position he recently held, you would definitely expect he would know better.
  4. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Even not being my child, I might have given him a crack if I had witnessed him doing that. Cranky old coot.
  5. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,878 Messages
    2,118 Likes Received
    uncalled for slapping a crying child, now slapping the mom or dad for sitting there acting as if it is no big deal now that justifiable. :D
  6. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,303 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    I believe it is caused by the negativity of the internet. We are constantly negative, write things we normally wouldn't to people, call them names, stupid, ******** etc, We used to keep it separate but now, it just pervades everything.

Society has become incredibly negative.

That being said, the charges have not been proven so other than the company covering its own behind and hanging its employee before trial, there really is no cause to fire him.
  7. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,511 Messages
    1,499 Likes Received
    This is interesting. Aside from opinion on the stupid level associated with slapping this child, it is interesting that AGC would fire this person for that. If AGC did, in fact, fire him for that offense, then AGC will probably get sued as well. I don't think it's legal to fire somebody over something like that, especially if the former employee was, as is described in the article, was on personal travel.

I wonder how this will play out?
  8. CanadianCowboysFan

15,303 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    Depends on his contract (such as it having a clause not making company look bad) I suppose but seems to me, until he is found guilty, hard to assume he is guilty.
  9. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,924 Messages
    1,306 Likes Received
    There are also a lot more idiots out that evoke this kind of anger.

...That's not necessarily the case here, but in general, I think there are a lot more mouthbreathers out there. I know there are a lot of times I'd like to smack someone up.
  10. BringBackThatOleTimeBoys

904 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    Something like this has happened just a few miles from Cowboys Stadium.

The reputed World's most notorious troller (AFAIK, he did it off hours) has exposed last fall and immediately got fired from his job in Arlington.

Story > http://www.marketplace.org/topics/tech/reddit-gawker-trolling-and-dangers-online-anonymity

My takeaway from this is nobody should assume bad behavior online or in public won't catch up with them.
  11. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

10,688 Messages
    1,056 Likes Received
    The guy is just a drunk, and a coward.

If the Dad had been there, he would not have done a thing.

Complete putz and a loser.
  12. joseephuss

20,760 Messages
    928 Likes Received
    Why is it hard to assume he is guilty?
  13. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,511 Messages
    1,499 Likes Received
    Can't speak for CCF but if you assume he is guilty and fire him based on that assumption, if it's found that he is not guilty, then you open yourself to legal action and that's not smart.
  14. BringBackThatOleTimeBoys

904 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    If his former company made sure there were plenty of witnesses to the act, it would seem that company is safe.

Then it would be court costs of a lawsuit vs potential costs of lost business.
  15. CanadianCowboysFan

15,303 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    that was all they cared about, not that it is wrong to care only about that but that is all it was
  16. BringBackThatOleTimeBoys

904 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    Embarrassing a firm has parted individuals from companies in the past, esp if they are high in the corporate structure.

And any athlete that gets in a scandal loses sponsors.
  17. joseephuss

20,760 Messages
    928 Likes Received
    That is different from it being hard to assume he is guilty. I am not saying anyone should assume he is guilty, but it isn't hard to make that assumption.

Something tells me that this guy was already treading water at his company and was going to be fired eventually.
  18. CanadianCowboysFan

15,303 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    "good" conduct is usually in the contracts or they usually negotiate a buy out.
  19. CanadianCowboysFan

15,303 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    likely true

I wonder what the firm considered worse, the fact he slapped a child or the fact he called the child a name (allegedly)
  20. BringBackThatOleTimeBoys

904 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    The headquarters of the company is in Oklahoma City - Oklahoma is a right-to-work state.

This means they can let anyone go for any reason or no reason. The caveat is if the company treated him unfairly - stuff like his race, age, gender, etc.