1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Mancow Waterboarded, Admits It's Torture

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by SuspectCorner, May 22, 2009.

1. SuspectCorner

SuspectCorner Bromo

7,737 Messages
    116 Likes Received
    Mancow Waterboarded, Admits It's Torture

"It is way worse than I thought it would be"

By RYAN POLLYEA / From NBCMiami.com website / Updated 1:11 PM EDT, Fri, May 22, 2009

Shock jocks shock.

And so it went Friday morning when WLS radio host Erich "Mancow" Muller decided to subject himself to the controversial practice of waterboarding live on his show.

Mancow decided to tackle the divisive issue head on -- actually it was head down, while restrained and reclining.

"I want to find out if it's torture," Mancow told his listeners Friday morning, adding that he hoped his on-air test would help prove that waterboarding did not, in fact, constitute torture.

The debate over whether waterboarding constitutes torture reached a fever pitch this week as re-ignited claims that Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) knew as early as 2002 about waterboarding techniques being used, and former Vice President Dick Cheney and President Barack Obama gave "dueling speeches" Thursday.

Listeners had the chance to decide whether Mancow himself or his co-host, Chicago radio personality Pat Cassidy, would undergo the interrogation method during the broadcast. The voters ultimately decided Mancow would be the one donning the soaked towel and shackles, and at about 8:40 a.m., he entered a small storage room next to his studio that was compared to a "dungeon" by Cassidy.

"The average person can take this for 14 seconds," Marine Sergeant Clay South answered, adding, "He's going to wiggle, he's going to scream, he's going to wish he never did this."

With a Chicago Fire Department paramedic on hand, Mancow was placed on a 7-foot long table, his legs were elevated, and his feet were tied up.

Turns out the stunt wasn't so funny. Witnesses said Muller thrashed on the table, and even instantly threw the toy cow he was holding as his emergency tool to signify when he wanted the experiment to stop. He only lasted 6 or 7 seconds.

"It is way worse than I thought it would be, and that's no joke,"Mancow said, likening it to a time when he nearly drowned as a child. "It is such an odd feeling to have water poured down your nose with your head back...It was instantaneous...and I don't want to say this: absolutely torture."

"I wanted to prove it wasn't torture," Mancow said. "They cut off our heads, we put water on their face...I got voted to do this but I really thought 'I'm going to laugh this off.' "

Last year, Vanity Fair writer Christopher Hitchens endured the same experiment -- and came to a similar conclusion. The conservative writer said he found the treatment terrifying, and was haunted by it for months afterward.

"Well, then, if waterboarding does not constitute torture, then there is no such thing as torture," Hitchens concluded in the article.

[youtube]KKfEjdAkmbs[/youtube]
  2. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Pain threshold...poor.
    Stick to radio.
  3. SuspectCorner

SuspectCorner Bromo

7,737 Messages
    116 Likes Received
    At least he had the guts to put his money where his mouth was. Unlike some...
  4. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,514 Messages
    1 Likes Received

Cry more? Of course its torture.

You QQ over the most mundane crap.

I know it's torture. Now if you want to get into degrees of torture, I will trade you 1 waterboarding session for bamboo shoots under your thumb nails.

:eek:
  5. Jon88

Jon88 Benched

7,665 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'll take waterboarding over beheading any day.
  6. SuspectCorner

SuspectCorner Bromo

7,737 Messages
    116 Likes Received
    The sidewalk was open when you voluntarily hung a right into this thread. Try to remember that. ;)
  7. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

6,392 Messages
    579 Likes Received
    To all the people who think this is torture and you want to get on the Obama train and end this and you want our enemies to know we wont hurt them and we'll take care of them while in our country club.

If one of our soliders are tortured over there, and we get audio, will you listen to it?

I can say for sure Obama doesnt want our enemies tortured, why does he stand for our people to be tortured. Is it easier to say when its not you?
  8. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,514 Messages
    1 Likes Received

So thats a no to the bamboo? :cool:

Gotchya!
  9. SuspectCorner

SuspectCorner Bromo

7,737 Messages
    116 Likes Received
    Yep, I'm trying to cut down on the "bamboo shoots under the fingernails" thing.
  10. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    What about all the people who expect the US to hold up to its end of the bargain in terms of not torturing people?

Why is this an "Obama thing"? The US agreed long ago that torturing was wrong.
  11. ShiningStar

6,392 Messages
    579 Likes Received

Okay, define torture? Is it torture to have your finger bent back? Is it torture to be a 18 year old female and in line at a clothier store and her credit card declined?

What is torture, so we know what to tell our enemies what we can and can not do to them? Than i want an ambassador to take it over to them and have them read it and put on their demands, than bring it back here for Congress to agree to and we'll set a definite definition of torture. WE dont want to TORTURE anyone, now do we?
  12. Hoofbite

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    Do you or do you not think that the US should adhere to the international laws that the US agreed to?
  13. ShiningStar

6,392 Messages
    579 Likes Received
    Can you or can you not answer my questions?
  14. Hoofbite

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    What question? You started ranting and raving about some ambassador.
  15. Doomsday

Doomsday Rising Star

10,401 Messages
    246 Likes Received
    If it wasnt uncomfortable or was easy to endure it wouldnt work. What did he think it was going to be like?
  16. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,852 Messages
    1,691 Likes Received
    Whinny liberals whinning some more. Boring.
  17. SuspectCorner

SuspectCorner Bromo

7,737 Messages
    116 Likes Received
    And yet there's no substantiating and verifiable evidence that it DOES work. Is there? If you're aware of any - please point to it. In fact, all available evidence appears to run exactly contrary to your assertion.

So how do you account for that?
  18. Jon88

Jon88 Benched

7,665 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't see how it couldn't work. After a couple minutes of that I'm telling you everything I know so I can go back to my cell.
  19. Doomsday

Doomsday Rising Star

10,401 Messages
    246 Likes Received
    I dont know if it works or not, but I also know I am not qualified to make an educated decision on what is torture and what isnt and neither is some idiot radio personality.

That said it seems to me like it plays on a person's fears more then anything and is not meant to gather information through physical damage.

There is obviously a thin line between torture and aggressive interrogation methods.
  20. SuspectCorner

SuspectCorner Bromo

7,737 Messages
    116 Likes Received
    The central tenet of those most familiar and expertly acquainted with the practice of waterboarding seems to be that you will NOT tell everything you KNOW - but that you will tell everything you believe your waterboarders want to HEAR. And that does NOT make for actionable intelligence.

Please re-review the available data on this...