1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Manufacturing returning to the US

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Cowboy Brian, Nov 2, 2013.

1. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    Are you forgetting Brazil?
  2. khiladi

khiladi Well-Known Member

12,072 Messages
    2,075 Likes Received
    This happened with India in IT, but demand raised praises as well as constant TO for higher pay. And all this happened, while quality turned to garbage. Call centers are another example of crappy quality from India.
  3. dropdeadfred5

dropdeadfred5 Active Member

145 Messages
    50 Likes Received
    They do not seem to be able to cash in on the opportunity. Like India, not organized or developed enough to act on it. Taiwan, Korea, Japan, China, Etc were all ready for the chance and cashed in. India and Brazil do not look like they have their act together. Frankly looking around the world no other country is ready to step in. That might change in 5 years but right now no.
  4. CowboyMcCoy

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    I think Brazil would be up for the task. It's a process.
  5. CashMan

CashMan Well-Known Member

1,419 Messages
    172 Likes Received
    Not really. What do all those countries he listed have in common? Communism/Emperor ruled.
  6. CowboyMcCoy

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    And China isn't???
  7. CashMan

1,419 Messages
    172 Likes Received
    China is a Communist nation, just like all of the others. But this call it a "Republic".
    CowboyMcCoy likes this.
  8. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,909 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    Reasoning behind that is simple - their government provided for the infrastructure necessary for a massive manufacturing buildup.
    CowboyMcCoy likes this.
  9. dropdeadfred5

145 Messages
    50 Likes Received
    First Japan, then Taiwan, Singapore, Korea, China. Each got organized and with massive government help got it done. Then 20 years or so down the road the people wanted more and got it; and labor rates and other expenses sky rocket. So the next country got the business. Now there does not seem to be any other country that is getting ready to take advantage so the jobs are coming back to the US. Not in huge numbers but still significant.
  10. vlad

vlad Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

1,077 Messages
    76 Likes Received
    Moves are being made into Vietnam and I think phillipines as lower cost alternatives.

I think only high margin products will be viable here in a macro sense since most people do not want to pay for the cost of labor.

Hopefully I'm wrong on the 2nd paragraph...
  11. dropdeadfred5

145 Messages
    50 Likes Received
    those are possibilities but I doubt the infrastructure is there to really do much
  12. khiladi

khiladi Well-Known Member

12,072 Messages
    2,075 Likes Received

China is communist in politics, but capitalist in economics...
  13. BigStar

BigStar Stop chasing Zone Supporter

3,817 Messages
    1,524 Likes Received
    I would say Japan's demographics, conflicts with China, and reliance on US military as their national Army has more to do with their decline (though they are still heavily sound/respected)
  14. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

15,099 Messages
    2,307 Likes Received
    De-industrialization is not always the boogeyman it's made out to be. It's part of a thriving and healthy global economy. It means products are being made more efficiently, leading to more products being made and greater availability, which is a good thing since ultimately products pay for products.
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  15. BigStar

BigStar Stop chasing Zone Supporter

3,817 Messages
    1,524 Likes Received
    Agree completely, the President has been the first to say it to the voting public but got chastised for it. Those jobs don't NEED to come back and won't as technology improves and occupations evolve. If we really want to be the hard nosed, "tough" Americans we want to perceive ourselves as, we need massive education reform and kinda gotta spend money on it (infrastructure).
  16. ScipioCowboy

15,099 Messages
    2,307 Likes Received
    I'm not familiar with any statements Pres. Obama has made about outsourcing. In the 1990s, I remember Pres. Clinton telling the steelworkers union to go take a flying flip on this issue.
  17. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,966 Messages
    470 Likes Received
    The world is a global economy now it really doesn't matter if you buy American or not. You should buy wherever you get the best quality for the least money. Cheaper products = more money to spend on other products = higher demand for other products = more jobs producing other products. Like others are saying, you should save the crap jobs for the other countries and open up more high paying opportunities in America.
    BigStar likes this.
  18. CashMan

1,419 Messages
    172 Likes Received
    I agree with most of this, but not the last sentence. Lower the cost of living.
  19. ScipioCowboy

15,099 Messages
    2,307 Likes Received
    To avoid even the hint of political discussion (which is forbidden around here), I will stick to making statements that are more general and avoid implications of rightness and wrongness.

I would describe the economic philosophy of Reagan and Clinton as supply-side. The tax reforms enacted by Reagan, deregulation, the capital gains tax cuts enacted by Clinton, the free trade agreements signed by Clinton--these eased the means of production.

I would describe Obama's economic philosophy as Keynesian. His policies are intended to stimulate demand.
  20. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

6,299 Messages
    403 Likes Received
    I think I disagree pretty strongly with everything there...but no politics.