1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Marinelli: Wilber well-suited for defensive end

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jun 7, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,558 Messages
    3,411 Likes Received
    -- Carlos Mendez

Kyle Wilber is playing defensive end because the Cowboys think he has a good chance to get to the quarterback.

“He’s got a good chance to be a good rusher,” defensive line coach Rod Marinelli said this week at OTA practices. “Now he’s in a position to rush every down.”

This year, he’s getting a fresh start at a fresh position. Not that the Cowboys had to sell him on it. Or even thought about selling him on it.

“I never asked him,” Marinelli said, stone-faced.

But, obviously, the Cowboys believe he’ll be good at it, right?

“I think so,” Marinelli said. “Get down and get your hand in the dirt and let’s go.”

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...hance-to-be-a-good-rusher-cowboys-marine.html
  2. dwight

dwight Active Member

856 Messages
    109 Likes Received
    I hope Kyle can contribute and possibly replace Spencer if Dallas decides not to give Spencer a long term contract.
  3. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,432 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    This.

It would save Dallas a boatload of $$$$$$$
  4. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,938 Messages
    5,596 Likes Received
    It'd be huge if he and Crawford can be legit pieces on the DL in the future.
  5. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,690 Messages
    1,136 Likes Received
    He's more likely to replace Ware on the weak side than Spencer.

Down the road, I don't think its unrealistic to think that Wilber and Crawford could be starting DEs. Of course, that is an impossible projection to make, but I think they would compliment each other pretty well.
  6. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,432 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    I'd still trade our entire draft for Clowney :eek:
  7. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

10,983 Messages
    368 Likes Received

:hammer: x 1000
  8. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,033 Messages
    653 Likes Received
    From Marinelli's comments it sounds like he's just being used in pass rush situations. This may be a rush the QB first type D but that does not mean that your DEs don't have to be good against the run. Spencer is a pretty darn solid run stopper. So I don't see Wilbur replacing him
  9. Section444

Section444 Well-Known Member

4,217 Messages
    768 Likes Received
    Even if all they become is quality rotation guys, I'd be thrilled. Neither appears to be anything special on tape (in the 3-4 anyway), but, we also have a very small sample size to go off of.
  10. Risen Star

19,938 Messages
    5,596 Likes Received
    I'd be disappointed if all Crawford ever becomes is a quality depth player.
  11. 187beatdown

187beatdown Lack of Big Plays

3,465 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    Most of the 2012 draft class have a chance to be vital parts to the team this year, I'm very excited.
  12. Risen Star

19,938 Messages
    5,596 Likes Received
    The knock on Wilber at Purdue was he was more of a finesse player. Always seemed like an odd fit to me in a 3-4 defense. Maybe the new scheme helps him but he was never a great pass rusher in college.
  13. Section444

4,217 Messages
    768 Likes Received
    I thought that he had a couple of pretty good moments last year (first Washington game stands out in my head), but for the most part, he really didn't stand out. Granted, that was in a completely different defense. What he'll be asked to do in the C2/T2 is completely different from what he was asked to do last year in the hybrid 3-4.
  14. Risen Star

19,938 Messages
    5,596 Likes Received
    My initial reaction was to disagree with this but then I looked at the class and I have to agree. I don't think McSurdy has any chance and Coale probably is too far behind because of the injuries but the rest have a chance.

The drafting of Escobar has to effect Hanna's playing time though.
  15. Section444

4,217 Messages
    768 Likes Received
    There are some great pass rushers in the league that are deemed "finesse". He might be a good situational (Mark Anderson) type.
  16. Section444

4,217 Messages
    768 Likes Received
    Still scratching my head over that one.
  17. Risen Star

19,938 Messages
    5,596 Likes Received
    My scalp's bleeding at this point.

Usually when you have a trilogy it's because the first two movies were a success.
  18. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 RAWR

11,970 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    Well hopefully he can at least be what Butler was in our 3-4, now in the 4-3 minus the run liability...
  19. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,067 Messages
    681 Likes Received
    Part of the reason they drafted him was because he showed ability to set the edge. He shouldn't be a liability against the run.
  20. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,609 Messages
    631 Likes Received
    Fixed ;) Close, though. They both wear gold uniforms.