1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Mark Barron a lock for top 16 - Kiper

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by GloryDaysRBack, Apr 6, 2012.

1. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,474 Messages
    840 Likes Received
    Those that say trade down and take Barron...Kiper says no can do
  2. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,538 Messages
    351 Likes Received
    I disagree alittle with this but I don't see him getting out of the top 20.

The JEts really like Barron and Upshaw. Eagles also like Barron from what I hear as does Cincy, Tenn, and the Bears.

He may not be worth a #14 pick but I don't see him making it to 20-22. One of those teams will take him.

Same with Kirkpatrick and Gilmore. I don't think either ne will make it pass 23.
  3. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,474 Messages
    840 Likes Received
    Kiper says its a lock..we shall see.. If we really like Barron, no need to mess around
  4. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,538 Messages
    351 Likes Received
    I agree, I think he is a perfect Ryan defense safety and thats why he may not get past 16. Both Dallas and the Jets need a safety.
  5. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,045 Messages
    1,163 Likes Received
    Seems likely he's going 14, 15, or 16.
  6. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

15,477 Messages
    2,894 Likes Received
    I just hate the idea of drafting a safety at 14 that is not considered "special".
  7. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Yeah, I don't think he makes it past the Jets at #16.
  8. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Hard to tell how effected he's been by injuries the last two years. A torn pec and a bilateral sports hernia sideline most players for the year.

The last time he was healthy for a full season he was a beast. 7 INTs. That's as many as Eric Berry ever had in a season in college, and just 1 short of Earl Thomas' 8 in 2008.
  9. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,929 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    Let the others take him. Just too high for him IMO.
  10. jswalker1981

jswalker1981 Fact > Your Opinion

2,616 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Umm, Ed Reed was drafted with the 24th pick.

I think people are so concerned about the overall quality of the safety class this year, that they are downgrading Barron with them. It's not a bad class because of Barron. It's a bad class because of everyone outside of Barron.
  11. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,661 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    He is the best safety in this class, by far, in a very thin class with alot of truly needy teams looking for one.

Also, he was the quarterback of by far the best secondary in the nation, not even close. Anyone think Kirkpatrick was the reason for them being so good in their secondary needs to raise their hand.......and look around cause they might be raising that hand alone.

Saban's specialty is DBs, hopefully JG gets what he needs to know about the Bama players from their relationship.
  12. Beast_from_East

15,477 Messages
    2,894 Likes Received
    I am not saying he is a scrub or anything, I am just saying that at pick 14 I would like to get a dominant O-linemen or D-linemen.

If Romo goes down, it really doesnt matter who we have at safety.......just saying.
  13. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,263 Messages
    537 Likes Received
    We have Orton.

We need to fix the defense. OL is serviceable. Defense is not.

Barron will be the pick at #14 and he will wear #24. :)
  14. Beast_from_East

15,477 Messages
    2,894 Likes Received

We are not winning any playoff games with Orton at QB, if anybody thinks he can just step right into the starting lineup and replace Romo with no drop off in performance, they are crazy. There is a reason Orton keeps getting replaced at every team he has been with.

Orton is a good backup that can win a game or two if the starter gets nicked up, but if Orton has to replace Romo for the season................game over.
  15. jswalker1981

jswalker1981 Fact > Your Opinion

2,616 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The issue with that is there is a significant drop in talent from Barron to Smith, not as much of a drop from Cox to Crick or Winn. You don't draft each round based on who is there at that moment, you draft based on who is available now AND later. DeCastro is a beast, but Zeitler isn't too far off either. So I'd rather have Barron and Zeitler than DeCastro and Smith.
  16. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,035 Messages
    934 Likes Received
    I'm warming up to Barron. He's got great instincts. Injuries are worrisome, as his athleticism. I'm concerned he's overrated because of the awful safety class. I'd prefer several other players over him. All that being said, I could live with him being the pick.
  17. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,929 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    With a better pass rush our safety's will look much better.
  18. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    The best way to protect Romo is to pair him with a defense where he's not asked to step back and sling the ball down the field 50 pass attempts a game because we're always in a shootout.
  19. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    I would disagree. There are 5/6 defensive ends/ defensive tackles that will go off the board between Cox and Crick with maybe Coples, Poe, Brockers, Reyes, Worthy, Still. Smith will be the second safety.

I agree with you 100% on the guards later. I'd much rather have Barron and Zeitler. I'm warming up to Barron as the potential pick, but I still have some reservations about fools gold from playing with other very good players.

If he is the pick, I think any defensive end or defensive tackle in the 2nd or 3rd is likely to be a reach given how picked over the group will be between pick 9 and 35. The chances are a better player at corner, guard, olb or even 3rd receiver will be available instead of de.
  20. cbow44

cbow44 Member

596 Messages
    11 Likes Received