1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

mark barron more like adrian wilson than roy williams

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by jblaze2004, Apr 25, 2012.

1. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,306 Messages
    279 Likes Received
    Why The Cowboys Need To Draft Mark Barron
    by Archie Barberio on Apr 22, 2012 11:00 AM CDT in Dallas Cowboys 2012 Draft

As stated above, Barron knows what he is doing. He lined up as both a free and strong safety at Alabama, alone in deep coverage and in Cover-2, in the box as a blitzer, short-zone defender, and force defender, and anywhere else a safety can find himself. Barron adjusted to sudden assignment changes because of defensive audibles and/or formation shifts; it was not unusual to see him start at deep safety, then race to the line to blitz after offensive motion. He should have no trouble mastering a complex defense.

The pre-draft scuttlebutt has the Dallas Cowboys eager to select Barron. The Cowboys also selected big, hard-hitting safety Roy Williams back in 2002. Barron is better than Williams. That is hardly faint praise: Williams played in five Pro Bowls, though the last few were reputation selections. Barron provides all the hits, better pass coverage, and despite his combine remarks, a lower probability of having an illegal tackle named in his honor.:laugh2:

NFL Comparison: Adrian Wilson, Arizona Cardinals

One NFL analyst that I have the utmost respect for is former general manager Charley Casserly. Remember that this is the man who passed on Reggie Bush and Vince Young for Mario Williams. Casserly has a great article about where he thinks Barron matches up with the other safeties drafted recently.

Barron is 6-foot-1, 213 pounds and runs the 40-yard dash in the 4.5's. He is very smart; Nick Saban runs a complex defense at Alabama and Barron had no problem understanding it. He should be able to be the defensive signal caller for his NFL team. He is very athletic and has the ability to play man coverage versus tight ends, which is not common in a safety. He is also exceptional when playing zone defense. Barron has excellent instincts to break on the ball and the speed to cover a lot of ground. As a physical player and fine tackler, he often played linebacker in Alabama's nickel defense. When I evaluate Barron as a safety, I do not see anything he can't do. To me, he's a very safe pick.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2012/4/22/2963634/dallas-cowboys-need-to-draft-mark-barron
  2. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Broaddus was on Talking Cowboys yesterday and said Roy Williams, even when he was at his best, barely even participated in coverage drills in practice because he was so sensitive about getting embarrassed. Roy Williams was an outlier player and kind of a weird dude, I'm not sure it's wise to compare him to anyone.
  3. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,645 Messages
    4,521 Likes Received
    Oooh. Love the sound of the Adrian Wilson comparison. Don't know if it's true, but that was a heck of a safety.
  4. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,741 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    ..and still is a heckuva safety.
  5. Nexx

Nexx Well-Known Member

1,544 Messages
    68 Likes Received
    if he is adrian wilson sign me up!
  6. lkelly

lkelly Well-Known Member

1,965 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    What's stunning is that Jerry gave him the second (big) contract. Maybe it had more to do with the number of Roy Williams jerseys sitting in the stands than it did his ability on the field.

Maybe "stunning" wasn't the right word. It wasn't even the only bad contract with a player named Roy Williams. Let's go with "sad."
  7. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,939 Messages
    545 Likes Received
    I made this comparison to Wilson about a week ago in a thread. While Barron is a great line of scrimmage SS he is not a liability in coverage either. He's way too athletic to warrant a Roy Williams type comparison.
  8. JBell523

JBell523 That's my Quarterback

3,174 Messages
    242 Likes Received
    Hmmm, not a bad comparsion.

Adrian Wilson is a helluva blitzer, and from what I've seen Barron is damn good at it.

I hope Barron is better at covering TE's than Wilson is though.
  9. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,645 Messages
    4,521 Likes Received
    Somebody's forgetting how well RW played early in his career.

I can go with 'Roy's second contract was a mistake,' though. There wasn't anything stunning about it.
  10. Bigdog

Bigdog Well-Known Member

1,545 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    I have seen other draft sites compare him to Adrian Wilson. Love to get him or Cox but they will probably be gone by the way we pick