1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Mark Barron to have surgery on Double Hernia, may drop him to 2nd or 3rd rd.

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Feb 10, 2012.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,103 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    Mark Barron won't participate at Combine due to surgery on double hernia. That may drop him to 2nd or 3rd round. Should Cowboys draft him?
  2. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Depending on how the first two rounds unfold for us and relative to who is still left on the board, I would seriously consider Barron if he's there in the 3rd.

I think Barron compares favorably to Kenny Phillips.
  3. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,103 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football

Source: TFY Draft Insider Feb 10 - 1:35 PMPlayer Outlook
    Game Log
    Career Stats
    Draft Advice
    Mark Barron - DB - Player Alabama S Mark Barron will not participate at the Combine after undergoing double hernia surgery.
    The injury also kept Barron out of the Senior Bowl. Per SI's Tony Pauline, Barron's recovery timeframe should be "no more than 4-6 weeks," and eight at the most. It sounds like he should be able to hold a Pro Day, though maybe not until early April. Barron is the only safety widely projected to be drafted in this year's first round. He was a two-time first-team All American.
  4. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,217 Messages
    839 Likes Received
    This means we will get him in the 2nd and sell the fans that we got a 1st rounder for a 2nd, but he won't see the field until Romo and Ware are giving there retirement speeches. No thank you. We have enough injured players, we need players that can come in and play day one and contribute.
  5. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,221 Messages
    283 Likes Received
    no thanks, I wouldn't take him in the 5th. We don't need a inbox zone SS. We need someone that can roam the field and has great speed to make plays.
    George Iloka or Markelle Martin are my two favorite safties in this weak safety class.
    I say fix all our needs in FA and the draft this year but for safety. Resign Elam or get Mike Adams for one more year. Then next year do all you can for Bcarri Rambo or TJ McDonald.
  6. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Bet you're pretty pissed-off about Sean Lee.
  7. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Lol, Martin is just as bad as Barron in coverage.
  8. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,705 Messages
    901 Likes Received
    Barron may not be an elite cover guy but he tackles well, he can stay with most TEs and he is a leader on the field. He is a 1st round talent so if he's still available in the 2nd round he would be worth the 45 pick.
  9. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    No need to tell me, I like Barron. Not at #14, but I would consider him later if the right opportunity presented itself.

Barron is a playmaker:

235 tackles
    13 TFL
    5.0 sacks
    12 INT
    34 passes defensed

For comparison, here's Markelle Martin's numbers (4-years too):

179 tackles
    8 TFL
    0 sacks
    3 INT
    39 passes defensed
  10. Zimmy Lives

5,705 Messages
    901 Likes Received
    Sorry. :D

Just re-emphazing your point.
  11. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,855 Messages
    880 Likes Received
    I don't know, I'm not particularly interested in another 2nd round pick that will red shirt his first year. Unlike most, I happen to like Barron and don't think a SS has to be able to cover a WR one on one to be considered worth drafting, but the injury is a concern.
  12. Zimmy Lives

5,705 Messages
    901 Likes Received
    If the Cowboys were a few players away from a championship I may not consider it but they need difference makers this year and next if they want to compete for the Super Bowl. Barron would be worth the long-term investment since he is a top-15 talent.
  13. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    FWIW, it's not a season-ending injury.

I just read an update that said it's a 4-6 week recovery time and that he should be able to hold a pro day. Considering the fact that training camp is what, seven or eight months from now, I think he'll be alright.
  14. supercowboy8

5,221 Messages
    283 Likes Received
    no he's not, he's bad but not as bad as Barron

I wouldn't draft Martin either
  15. supercowboy8

5,221 Messages
    283 Likes Received
    getting lost in the stats, the guy sucks in man coverage andplays in the box, tell me how he fits in Ryan's scheme. He doesn't.
    All he stats happen close to the line and in the box. He is great playing down in the box and playing in zone and jumping short routes for INTs. But he gets beat deep many times.
    I don't think Barron could run with and cover these NFL TEs.
  16. supercowboy8

5,221 Messages
    283 Likes Received
    so you want another RW31, a guy that cant cover a TE but can hit.

No thanks
  17. cobra

cobra Salty Bastard

3,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Prediction: Barron will never let himself be timed running 40 or the cone drills.
  18. supercowboy8

5,221 Messages
    283 Likes Received
    thats a safe prediction

I would rather sign Elam and Mike Adams and wait till next year and draft Rambo or McDonald next year.

This years safeties doesn't impress me any. None look like day one starters.
  19. Zimmy Lives

5,705 Messages
    901 Likes Received
    Give him a little more credit. Anyway, at 45 he'd be a bargain.;)
  20. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,217 Messages
    839 Likes Received
    I was. It's crazy to keep throwing high picks at injured guys. At least Lee came in that one game against Indy and almost won it by himself that year. Still we had No idea what we had until this year.