1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Mark Barron vs Roy Williams Question

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by garyv, Mar 29, 2012.

1. garyv

garyv Active Member

1,410 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Can someone in the know explain to me the difference in Mark Barron, Safety and one we already had at Safety in Roy Williams ?
  2. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,444 Messages
    421 Likes Received
    I believe Barron has better range and ball skills than Roy did.

Similar in terms of liking to play in the box, but I think Barron can play some deep middle also.

Roy obviously couldn't lol
  3. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,635 Messages
    1,100 Likes Received
    Roy Williams actually ran a better 40, I believe he ran a 4.50
  4. CaptainAmerica

CaptainAmerica Active Member

5,015 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    Barron played in Saban's pro style D for 3 years and was one of the leaders of that defense. He's a winner. Not a lot of talk just a quiet confidence.

He's a football smart, tough, athletic defender who will be much better in coverage than Roy Williams turned out to be.
  5. Cover 2

Cover 2 Pessimists Unite!!!

3,126 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    I think people forget how dominant Roy was his first few years in the league. At that time there wasn't a single safety I would take over him. He would change games in the Cowboys favor multiple times with big hits, forced fumbles, and even INT's.
  6. Vanilla2

Vanilla2 Well-Known Member

1,465 Messages
    637 Likes Received
    Back then I would've taken D Woodson over Williams everyday of the week. He was the guy that allowed Roy to be the player he was as evidenced by Williams'
    Decline in production after woodson's retirement.
  7. CaptainAmerica

CaptainAmerica Active Member

5,015 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    That's when he had Woodson playing with him. He was a shell of his early self once Woodson retired. His career came unglued starting with that MNF debacle against the Skins.
  8. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

3,254 Messages
    692 Likes Received
    We call that, "The Woodson Effect." He made George Teague and Larry Brown look like All-Pros too.

Roy was what he was. A LB playing safety. If he had kept himself in better shape and more focused and gone somewhere as a Tampa-2 OLB he would have been dominate again. Instead he was stubborn and fell out of shape and out of favor.
  9. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    Which is different than what the Steelers do with Clark and Polumalu how?
  10. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

3,254 Messages
    692 Likes Received
    Which has what to do with a thread comparing Roy and Barron?
  11. Cover 2

3,126 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Woodson was a great player, but I wonder if all the hits Roy dished out broke his body down. Kind of like with Marion Barber.

I could be wrong and it could have been due to Woodson retiring, but it seemed like physically he wasn't the same either. He didn't seem as explosive later on.

It could be he didn't take football as seriously as others. I do remember Parcells talking about how he would be hard on Roy and even apologized to him for being so hard on him, but Roy told him to keep it coming.

Barron does seem smarter than Roy but I see nowhere near the physical talent that Roy had.
  12. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,044 Messages
    2,824 Likes Received
    I think Roy played the FS spot as it has for years and that is a big hitter.

When Charlie Waters and Cliff Harris were here Water was the ball hawk SS and Cliff was the enforcer. Charlie would go for the ball and Cliff would go for the man.

I think as the rules changed you not only could get flagged for big hits you get suspended if you continue and Roy did.

As for Barron he had 12 ints at safety with Bama he is more inclind to go for the ball and not just the big hitter
  13. Cover 2

3,126 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Did Woodson make them look like All Pros or did the defense as a whole do that?

Not trying to take anything away from Woodson. He was a great player. He could do anything you look for from a safety. Hit hard and play well in coverage. Even make the coverage calls.
  14. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    Barron is a good player but is not the best fit with Sensenbaugh. We need a fast safety with ball skills like an Earl Thomas.

Woody was a great player and a more versatile player than Williams and better fit for today's game, but Williams played alot like Polumalu or better Bob Sanders. Barron for pick 14 is hopefully like Rodney Harrison, but if we are picking a safety in the first I'd like him to fit our other personnel.
  15. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,234 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    Well said
  16. garyv

garyv Active Member

1,410 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Barron is a good player but is not the best fit with Sensenbaugh. I actually was thinking this too before making this Post. I really don't have a problem with Barron but him and Sensy together gives me a creepy feeling in the Secondary now give me Barron at SS and give me Rambo @ FS now I might be interested.

"Rambo received a third-round grade from the NFL advisory board last winter"
  17. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,929 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Yep. Roy was a beast, a total animal at one time. People only remember that he couldn't cover at the end, but they forget how good he was at first. He was miles better than Barron.

That, and some UT fans hate where he played college ball.
  18. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,044 Messages
    2,824 Likes Received
    Big time Longhorns fan only thing I hated about him was he was playing for OU not Texas.

Roy was a beast when he 1st came to Dallas. To me RW played the position as it was intended as an enforcer. NFL had other ideas and the fine and suspention added up on RW. I never saw him as great cover man even at OU he was an in the box type guy who was great in run support and punished WR over the middle. NFL started to change Roy did not
  19. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

14,963 Messages
    414 Likes Received
    That's a common misperception, but Roy and Woodson played together for less than two full seasons. In Roy's rookie season, he had his best games after Woodson was out with an injury -- he had one interception in the 10 games Woodson played and four interceptions (and two touchdowns) in the six games when Woodson was out. The next season, playing next to Woodson, Roy had two interceptions in 16 games. So in those two seasons, Roy had three interceptions in 26 games next to Woodson and four interceptions in six games that Woodson did not play.

Woodson was a good player, but Roy made more big plays without Woodson in the lineup -- and after Woodson's retirement -- than he did when he played next to Woodson.
  20. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,057 Messages
    286 Likes Received
    Roy had enough talent to overcome his coverege weakness, but never had the desire to put in the work to do so.