1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Mars One plans suicide mission to Red Planet for 2023

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Doomsday101, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,457 Messages
    3,769 Likes Received
    There’s an old joke about sending someone you hate on a one-way trip to Mars. Now, a Dutch entrepreneur has formed a company around this concept -- and it’s no joke.

Bas Lansdorp, the 35-year-old founder of Mars One, told FoxNews.com his company is serious about a one-way mission. The company will hold a worldwide lottery next year to select 40 people for a training team. They will then set up a mock colony in the desert, possibly somewhere in the U.S., for three months. This initial team will be reduced to ten crew members.

They will then be sent to Mars, never again to return.

“We will send humans to Mars in 2023,” he told FoxNews.com. “They will live there the rest of their lives. There will be a habitat waiting for them, and we’ll start sending four people every two years.”

The habitat will consist of several housing structures that Mars One will launch before 2023. In 2016, the company plans to launch the first supply vessel. In 2018, it plans to send a rover.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012...-to-red-planet/?intcmp=features#ixzz21fRmnbDb
  2. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Well-Known Member

4,689 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    this is awesome if true!
  3. Doomsday101

78,457 Messages
    3,769 Likes Received
    sounds awsome but you may regret it later on.
  4. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Well-Known Member

4,689 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    i would never do it lol but whoever would is awesome in my book.
  5. Doomsday101

78,457 Messages
    3,769 Likes Received
    I'm sure some one will want to go.
  6. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Sarge would go for a couple of cases of PBR
  7. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

38,896 Messages
    4,461 Likes Received
    I actually think its a great idea. It will be cheaper than robotic and we'll be mission ready much faster. Currently humans will be incredibly more efficient and adaptable than any robot we can make now. If they can get the right blend of crew and have enough provisions for them on arrival they might be able to survive.
  8. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,722 Messages
    1,809 Likes Received
    No liquor stores up there, no McDonalds, no movie theaters, no strip joints...nothing! How fun is that...and you never come back! Where you going to buy a pack of smokes? What about getting bored and wanting to hit a bong?

If they send four people at first, I hope they at least send two men and two woman. good looking people! Because if they have to re-populate Mars it would be better to have good looking offspring, because Earth has some ugly people!

See, these are thing that scientists don't think about. They are so smart that they forget about the most common things.

OK...we landed on Mars. Now, what the hell do we do? Go looking for rocks?

Bad idea all around.
  9. Doomsday101

78,457 Messages
    3,769 Likes Received
    I got my ticket for the ride, just called direct TV and they do have the sunday ticket. :laugh2:
  10. TheKey

TheKey Faster than Felix

2,639 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    Excuse my ignorance, but how will they be able to supply two years worth of oxygen for 10 people?
  11. 5Stars

26,722 Messages
    1,809 Likes Received
    Well, that's cool...but, you do know that you have a 6 minute delay up there in Mars. So, don't watch it live, just Tivo it...

Yeah, that's another thing! Where can I go watch a damn football game live?

Are there going to be a couple of teams with little green men playing?

Stupid idea...

:rolleyes:
  12. jobberone

38,896 Messages
    4,461 Likes Received
    OMG. They'll have to actually talk to one another!
  13. 5Stars

26,722 Messages
    1,809 Likes Received
    Talk about what? Why the hell did we volunteer for this? Check this rock out? Where can I get my Mars lander fixed?

Yeah, after about two weeks they are gong to hate each other!

How would you like to be together with three people in isolation for the rest of your life? What is there to talk about?

"i'm getting bored...wanna go looking for rocks?"

"Yeah, OK...I guess, just let me get this damn red dust out of my eye first.."
  14. jobberone

38,896 Messages
    4,461 Likes Received
    You can rebreath oxygen but I don't know long term loses. And you have to be able to scrub CO2. It's more complicated than that but I'll have to review that again to say more. Water is likely to be more of a problem. You have to have enough for humans and plants as well as be able to recycle. All that equipment will have to be there ahead of time. Unless they think they can get their water from the Martian soil/rocks. Then you have to have the equipment to do that and I have zero idea about extracting water from rock esp on Mars.

Somebody has already thought about all this and they know the questions and answers. It's probably just a matter of getting it off earth which is expensive then to Mars then safely on Mars. Over my head.
  15. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

6,482 Messages
    2,070 Likes Received
    If I had no wife or kids and a doctor told me I had 2 years left to live, I would jump on the first trip. What a way to go out!
  16. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,878 Messages
    1,478 Likes Received
    It can all be done, but I don't know if it can be done in the next 10 years.
  17. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,808 Messages
    1,674 Likes Received
    they have established there is water on mars. That is not the problem.

The problem is power. I doubt they can support the system on Solar alone at that distance from the sun.

Frankly the only way to get the juice you need is nuclear power and that will be fun - you want to see the wackos go really wacko tell them you are putting nuclear fuel on a spacecraft.

I do not think plutonium batteries can get it done on that scale; so you are probably looking at a reactor.
  18. 5Stars

26,722 Messages
    1,809 Likes Received
    Duracell batteries....everyone knows that?

:rolleyes:
  19. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,316 Messages
    219 Likes Received
    I wonder if I can slip a few people on board.
  20. 67CowboysFan

67CowboysFan New Member

2,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'll be getting close to retirement age in 2023. If they can keep the beer and smokes coming on the supply ship, count me in. :D