1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Marvel's Thor Revealed in First Movie Photo

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Maikeru-sama, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    link
  2. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365

28,816 Messages
    2,280 Likes Received
    That's a nice find. Time for a mini-rant.

Here comes Marvel with another major character from their comics universe for a major motion picture. So, where's DC? Sure, the Batman franchise is great now that Nolan has taken over and the occasional Superman movie every 20 years or so is okay, but where's Wonder Woman? Where's Green Lantern? Where's The Flash? Where's The Martian Manhunter? Heck, where's Aquaman??? I just don't get it.

Oh well. I guess DC feels The Losers is as good as it gets. Thank goodness for its Vertigo title. /rant
  3. the kid 05

the kid 05 Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds

9,541 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    wonder woman, green latern and flash is in the works get with it old man :p

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0451279/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1133985/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0439572/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1345836/

and 2013

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1477834/

edit: added batman 3 and aquaman (i didn't know they were making that)
  4. DallasEast

28,816 Messages
    2,280 Likes Received
  5. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That's a good point about DC.

On that note, you guys may want to check out a DC character by the name of "The Spectre". I used to read it back in Jr. High and Highschool.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectre_(comics))

Among his exploits is going to hell to fight satan, went to the gates of heaven to fight an Archangel and had the audacity to judge the people of Earth as too sullied with sin to exist and therefore needed to be destroyed.

A hope a good director makes a movie about this character one day.
  6. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,375 Messages
    133 Likes Received
    didnt you know?

this is aquaman

[IMG]
    :laugh2:
  7. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,487 Messages
    1,407 Likes Received
    Flash Id like to see, Maybe Green Lantern but I am in no way interested in an Aquaman or Wonder Woman movie.

DC's riches dont lay with its comic books but with its graphic novels, if you ask me. I'd much rather a Y the Last Man or The Sandman movie than The Flash, to be honest.

Or if you must, a movie based on Kingdom Come than another Superman disaster.

V for Vandetta is DC, Watchmen is DC, even that crappy League of Extraordinary Gentlemen movie is DC. There's DC material out there in theaters, most people just dont recognize it.

Jonah Hex is the next DC film coming out I think, and not many people have heard of Hex, thats for sure.
  8. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,759 Messages
    808 Likes Received
    I hope they do Jonah Hex justice. That could really take off.

Constantine was also a DC character. Pretty good flick.

In general, DC never seems to "get it" in the last few decades outside of the new Batman franchise.

Look at Superman. He has been one of their most notable characters for 60 plus years. With all the BA supervillians that Superman has faced, I'm not sure why they haven't made more quality movies. The best Superman movie they ever made was like thirty years ago when they used General Zod, who had strengths similar to Superman. Instead of trying to capitalize on that, they cranked out more crap (including that horrible garbage that they threw out a few years ago).

Where are and Lobo, Darkseid, Braniac, Doomsday? They could have a field day with those characters.

In truth, Marvel has just been way smarter than DC in translating their products to the big screen and they have much better characters to use.
  9. kmp77

kmp77 Active Member

5,945 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Green Lantern is DC's next movie with Ryan Reynolds. Then a new Batman. There were plans for a Justice League movie for a while. The guys behind Batman are going to help get Superman back on track. DC has been releasing some great animated movies so you could check those out.

They need to make a Wonder Woman or Flash movie. But after superman, batman, wonder woman, flash.....the recognizable factor of the characters go downhill fast so hard to spend that much on a movie.
  10. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,487 Messages
    1,407 Likes Received
    Nah, Green Lantern comes out 2011, Hex comes out in June.

Isn't Reynolds also playing Deadpool in a spinoff too?
  11. kmp77

kmp77 Active Member

5,945 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't really consider Jonah a super hero film though. Deadpool spinoff has been talked about alot but not sure if that's ever going to happen. They didnt help that character out at all with the Wolverine movie :(
  12. kmp77

kmp77 Active Member

5,945 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Oh yeah, the easter egg scene after the credits of Iron Man has been leaked. Sorta on topic of this thread :D
  13. the kid 05

the kid 05 Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds

9,541 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    iron man 2?
  14. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,508 Messages
    1,951 Likes Received
    kmp, can you PM me a link?
  15. kmp77

kmp77 Active Member

5,945 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  16. DallasEast

28,816 Messages
    2,280 Likes Received
    You haven't mentioned anything which I am not already aware of. It was the major characters in the DC universe which I was refering.

DC Comics has fallen short of equaling the long-running, decades old, heavy hitters brought to film by Marvel such as Spider-Man, Iron Man, Wolverine, X-Men, Hulk, Fantastic Four, Daredevil, etc. Heck, even sub-headliners such Punisher and Ghost Rider have been presented better on the big screen than say Catwoman (great body/bad picture) or Steel (just plain yuck).

My opinion doesn't focus on the graphic novel adaptations, whether they have been realized or simply proposed. They stand apart in my book (no pun intended) and require zero hype. It's the sheer insanity of a great character like Wonder Woman getting zero play in this day and age of movie magic.

Still, I should thank my lucky stars that DC's commitment to animated, straight-to-video movies remains firm. If not for that, updating iconic comic personas like the Amazon Princess wouldn't be visible AT all on the small screen either.
  17. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,487 Messages
    1,407 Likes Received
    Whoa, whoa! Sorry, Sir! :laugh2:

I wasn't really responding to you, just quoted you as part of the discussion.

I just think so many comic movies end up so campy and silly that they aren't even worth making and I don't see how you can escape that with characters like Aquaman and Wonder Woman.

Maybe if they do something like a Justice League movie and they can actually take the characters seriously and then spin off from there to do movies for the individual characters?
  18. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,508 Messages
    1,951 Likes Received
    Most DC comics characters are just not "modern" enough to be made into a movie. Wonder Woman? No chance that makes a good movie.
  19. Gzus

Gzus Romosexual

1,257 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm not really all that excited about Thor. More excited about Deadpool and Green Lantern b/c Ryan Reynolds will be playing both characters.
  20. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,973 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I am very tired of all these super hero/comic book movies.