1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Marvin Austin

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by jnday, Jan 30, 2011.

1. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    I read some of the reports coming from the Shrine Bowl practices and Marvin Austin was thought to be one of the better players there. While looking for some Quinn highlights , I kept seeing Austin making play after play. I have read that he got in trouble this year and did not play ( along with Quinn and others ). I don`t keep up with UNC football , so I really know very little about the guy. What do you guys think about him ? He was supposed to be one of the top DT in this years draft. Now he is rated as a second round pick.
  2. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,293 Messages
    1,244 Likes Received
    I like him, not sure he's a 3-4 DE though, looks more like a penetrating tackle in a 4-3, AKA a "3-Technique".
  3. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I've been on Austin for the past two years, he's a guy that has a certain it factor to him. He's a disruptive force on the football; I've likened him to slightly bigger John Randle/Tommie Harris when he's on his game.

The biggest question for him was his off the field issues. I think it was a telling sign that he came into the East/West Shrine game in-shape and ready to play (his conditioning wasn't where it should be, but that's to be expected having not played football this season). That tells me this kid is ready to play football.

I think he's maturing and will make a better pro than collegiate player. Some teams will be wary due to his spotty past, but my gut tells me the team that drafts him is going to get a player.

I wouldn't blink twice if we took him in the 2nd round.
  4. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,565 Messages
    2,432 Likes Received
    The kind of trouble that Austin and some of the other UNC players got in to was not the type to put up a major red flag.

They took benefits from a slime ball agent and the team took a hard line on them in hope that the NCAA wouldn't be too hard ont he program long term.
    They screwed up and paid the price, but I don't really see a carry-over that would cause worry in drafting him.
  5. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Yhea, I tend to agree with you. More like a penetrating tackle in a 43.

Not quite the size RR probably is looking for at NT either.
  6. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Could be right, but he's listed as 6'3" 315 lb on the East/West Shrine game roster.

He'd be our biggest D-lineman outside of Josh Brent.
  7. Brother Ali

Brother Ali Benched

72 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    After his tweet, I don't want him on the Cowboys. Seems like a fun guy to go bottle poppin with though!
  8. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    What did he tweet ?
  9. Brother Ali

Brother Ali Benched

72 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm on my phone so I can't post it, but he tweeted that he just got out of the club at 3 in the morning and wanted to pop some bottles.

It's why he didn't play this year. In short, he's just not a very bright guy.
  10. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He's 22-years old.

If I was 22 again and had a taste for champagne, I'd be poppin' bottles too.
  11. Brother Ali

Brother Ali Benched

72 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    His tweets are all about making money and poppin bottles. He just wants to get paid. Those guys are garbage team players. We already got rid of Tank and Pacman. No more trash please.

This guy will be either be in jail or suspended if he ever got some money.
  12. DFWJC

23,565 Messages
    2,432 Likes Received
    Tell me about it.
    He was 21 at the time, I think. Kind of dumb to tweet, but in no way would something minor like that make me write a kid off for an entire career.

The guy is nothing like Pacman and some of the others.

Wow, talk about being in glass houses throwing stones....and drawing life-long conclusions over tweets...good grief.

Now if I interviewed him or spoke with his coaches and they all threw up rewd flags, I may be real concerned.
  13. CanuckCowboysFan

CanuckCowboysFan Benched

2,023 Messages
    0 Likes Received

who gives a ****? He's 22 years old.
  14. Brother Ali

Brother Ali Benched

72 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Moot point. He's probably off our draft board. Move along...
  15. DFWJC

23,565 Messages
    2,432 Likes Received
    Just like Dez was.:D
    Cheers
  16. Brother Ali

Brother Ali Benched

72 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Don't remember that.

But hey, Cheers mate!:D
  17. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'd love him on my team

Pass rush: Good initial burst off the snap. Strong hands to grasp and discard the blocker and demonstrates good use of swim and rip moves to gain clearance. Good straight-line speed, agility and balance to track the quarterback. Good use of leverage and boasts a powerful leg drive for the bull rush. Cognizant of passing lanes and will get his hands up. Not always disciplined or assignment sound. Anticipates the snap count and will occasionally be drawn offside.

Run defense: Quick enough to slip through a gap and disrupt the timing of running plays. Good size and power to control his gap responsibility. Has a tendency to play too upright, negating his own power. Strong, active hands to disengage from the block as the ballcarrier nears. Reacts quickly to the attempted cut block, sprawling and re-gaining his balance quickly by pushing off cutting offensive lineman. Good hustle laterally and downfield. Good vision and footwork to keep his feet while making his way to the ballcarrier.

Explosion: Good initial burst off the snap. Flashes a quick first step, vertically and laterally, to penetrate gaps and destroy the play. Good upper-body strength to shock his opponent and knock him back. Likes to make the flashy hit. Will gather for the big hit on an unsuspecting ballcarrier.

Strength: Good upper- and lower-body strength to hold up at the point of attack. Has an explosive shove to knock pass blockers aside on his way to the quarterback. Lacks the bulk and power to split double-teams as a true nose guard, but can hold up long enough to create a pile. Good strength for the drag-down tackle.

Tackling: Surprising balance and lateral agility to break down in tight quarters and make the open-field tackle against small and quick athletes. Good strength to pull down ballcarriers while being occupied by blockers. Good hustle laterally and downfield. Willing to leave his feet and lunge at ballcarriers, resulting in some big hits (as well as some wild misses). Intangibles: Suspended for the entire 2010 season after an NCAA investigation found that he'd accepted gifts from an agent. Characterized by those close to the team as "talented, but selfish." Highly touted prep prospect that was rated the No. 1 at his position and top 10 overall by most recruiting experts.
  18. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,903 Messages
    1,501 Likes Received
    popping bottles and hitting clubs isn't unique....

tweeting about it when you know nfl people are watching you closely because of a college suspension is beyond stupid.

pass on this kid unless he is by far the bap.

btw. dez fell about 2000 value points in the draft and there are questions of he is mature enough to develop even now.
  19. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Beyond stupid is thinking there is anything wrong with a 22-year old tweeting about poppin' bottles at a club.

Talk to me when he's tweeting about slappin' hookers and firing up a bowl in the morning.

So glad we don't have folks like you making player personel decisions.
  20. Brother Ali

Brother Ali Benched

72 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He's a college student under scholarship. He's in clear violation with team rules about being out at 3 in the morning and drinking alcohol .

He's dumb. I'm sure he's got low lifes hanging around him. Can't imagine what he'll do when he actually gets paid.