1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Maryland Textbooks on Islamic Teachings Dumbed Down

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Cajuncowboy, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,478 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It's now required reading. :rolleyes:

Report: Maryland Textbooks on Islamic Teachings Dumbed Down

Sunday, June 08, 2008

A textbook monitoring group said that Maryland middle and high school students will be required to read about Islamic teachings that have been dumbed down and are products of political correctness.

According to the New York Examiner, a new report issued by the American Textbook Council said that administrators who approved books for use in the Montgomery County school district caved into pressure by pro-Islamic groups seeking to present a less violent interpretation of Islam.

Gilbert Sewall, director of the council, stated that, for example, the definition of jihad has gone through "amazing cultural reorchestration" in textbooks, losing any connotation of violence, the Examiner wrote.

Other terms, such as sharia law, have been adjusted or removed from lessons to avoid what he called "inconvenient truths."

Montgomery County Public Schools defended the decision to use the books, saying in a statement that all texts used by teachers had been properly vetted and were appropriate for classroom uses.
  2. DragonCowboy

DragonCowboy Well-Known Member

5,390 Messages
    117 Likes Received
    well, in some Texas public schools, the Bible is required reading for AP English classes (not that I have a problem with it; it has great literary merit).

I don't know about the whole "dumbing" down of Islamic teachings.
  3. Cajuncowboy

27,478 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The concern is that they are edited to place things like Shia Law in a positive light or altogether removing it even though it is a fundamental part of the culture.
  4. DragonCowboy

DragonCowboy Well-Known Member

5,390 Messages
    117 Likes Received

hence my saying "I don't know".

I'd need to actually read what the textbook says to form a real opinion on it. I'm not gonna take second-hand views.

One side will say they're "editing and deleting" to put bad things in a positive light.

The other side will say they're attempting to promote a higher degree of tolerance, especially in today's world atmosphere.
  5. Cajuncowboy

27,478 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Here's a link to the original story. I should have posted it initially. My bad.

http://www.examiner.com/a-1429570~C...pressue_with_Islam_book.html?cid=temp-popular