1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Maryland to leave ACC for Big 10

Discussion in 'Sports Zone' started by WPBCowboysFan, Nov 17, 2012.

1. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,773 Messages
    1,975 Likes Received
  2. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

61,094 Messages
    4,436 Likes Received
    LINK

Board of regents have already voted unanimously for Maryland to leave ACC to accept the invitation to join Big 10.

Article also says that Rutgers might also announce leaving Big East for Big 10 sometime tomorrow.
  3. StylisticS

StylisticS Well-Known Member

8,415 Messages
    250 Likes Received
    Wow that moved fast. This is going to be crazy now.
  4. romomania

romomania Active Member

542 Messages
    83 Likes Received

I went to maryland. This is pretty crazy but it made too much sense financially and to secure us for years to come. Wonder if UVA and UNC end up in the Big Ten if Clemson and Florida State leave for another conference.
  5. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

61,094 Messages
    4,436 Likes Received
    Rumor has it that UCONN has told the Big East that intend to leave and join ACC
  6. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,176 Messages
    2,237 Likes Received
    The Big Ten is expanding it's footprint, plain and simple. They just added the New York and DC markets to that Big 10 TV package.
    If a team gets a chance to join the Big 10, they take it.

With Syracuse and Pitt already headed tot he ACC, and Notre Dame joining for football, the UConn addition makes sense too.

Seeing that the conference approved of a $50 MILLION exit fee that went into effect immediately and included all schools plus Notre Dame, this could be interesting.
  7. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,993 Messages
    5,023 Likes Received
    That surprises me some.

That was expected.
  8. DanteEXT

DanteEXT Well-Known Member

1,823 Messages
    174 Likes Received
    Just another school to beat up on my Hoosiers football team.
  9. DFWJC

23,176 Messages
    2,237 Likes Received
    :laugh2: You may have added one your Hoosiers can actually beat up on!
  10. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,690 Messages
    1,396 Likes Received
    just another step on the path to four 16 team conferences imho.

kudos to tbe b1g and maryland for keeping this quiet so long.

divvying up the big east should come next and then the SEC taking two more from the ACC.

the big 12 will scoop up louisville and cincy then await ACC leftovers is my guess.
  11. DFWJC

23,176 Messages
    2,237 Likes Received
    The Big East has been getting picked apart for years now...then replacing it with Conf USA teams. That league is very nearly gone.
    Total and completely different than in the ACC--who in the last year has added Notre Dame, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, and soon UConn. Maryland was a weak link located in a good market that a conference like the Big 10 may use to it's advantage. Though I'm shocked they are taking them. It has to be the market. Nothing against UM, but that is not an atheltic or academic powerhouse there. Decent at both though.
  12. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,561 Messages
    1,422 Likes Received
    I'll give you 100 million reasons why this happened.
  13. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

38,317 Messages
    4,211 Likes Received
    I agree. Right now the ACC is looking like the red headed stepchild but I suspect they will land on their feet. If they get a few more defections though then all bets are off. And Maryland long had some powerhouse basketball teams and have had some decent footballs teams on occasion.
  14. DFWJC

23,176 Messages
    2,237 Likes Received
    I see adding Notre Dame, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, and UConn vs losing Maryland as a very large upgrade. Not sure how the red-headed step child applies unless many other major moves happen.

Upgrade for Maryland though too if include everything involved.
  15. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,773 Messages
    1,975 Likes Received
  16. Diogenes

Diogenes Active Member

1,200 Messages
    13 Likes Received

Maybe if you're lucky, Duke will follow suit.
  17. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,690 Messages
    1,396 Likes Received
    ND isn't in the conference for football.

The other schools aren't football schools and basically suck at it. You make fun of the Big East then laud taking its children?

The ACC has been a distant 5th power conference IN ACTUAL PERFORMANCE and this just re-affirms that.
    The fact someone left AFTER ND agreed to the partnership and the out money escalated to 50m says a lot.

The Sagarin Ratings has the ACC rated the 7th best conference!!!!
    http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbc12.htm

Big 12
    SEC
    Pac 12
    B10
    independents
    Big East???
    ACC
    just ahead of the mighty sun belt

The SEC has two spots and can likely claim ANY ACC schools it wants.
    The B1G will also go to 16 and can pick and choose as liberally as the SEC because they are pretty bad at football but have great academics and huge dollars. Then the Big 12 will have leftover ACC schools begging to get in and no reason to give them sweetheart deals.
    The Pac 12 is just too far West to benefit.
  18. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

38,317 Messages
    4,211 Likes Received
    I don't discount ND but the others for the time being are not football BCS heavyweights. ND isn't an ACC football school.

People had been trying to bail on the ACC primarily outside on NC but I don't know what's going on now.

So from a football point of view which is still the point of view money wise yes the ACC is not as big a player as the Big Ten, SEC, Big 12 or whatever it's called now and PAC 12. Four big bowls and four big conferences.

Clemson and FSU had been trying desperately to get into one of those conferences primarily the SEC thru backdoor politics and openly with the Big 12.
  19. Diogenes

Diogenes Active Member

1,200 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    All I know is, growing up a huge fan of Terps hoops and getting to see the likes of John Lucas, Tom McMillan and Len Elmore compete against the best the ACC had to offer holds special memories for me. I'm bummed.
  20. DFWJC

23,176 Messages
    2,237 Likes Received
    You won't here me praising the ACC's current football prowess.
    When I weigh in on them it's generally as an overall entity.

I think they have one or maybe two teams that are possibly BCS worthy (one of the other, but not both). And with Va Tech, Miami, Ga tech and some of the others not holding up their end, everyone below FSU and Clemson looks pretty week. Though anything can happen in aone game scenario, that's no idication of strength.

The rating of conferences is fine, I guess, except you can throw out the really small groups because one good team (ND in the 4 Indys) will totally skew the rating.

As for the Big East; good for them having some teams doing well this year.

But with team after team leaving the Big East for the ACC and never once the other way around, there is nobody anywhere that would ever say the Big East is a more desirable overall conf vs the ACC. That's just fact, and the evidence is overwhelming.

But again, I am not saying and do not ever say the current ACC is some sort of football powerhouse. Clearly it is not.