1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Matt Barkley will announce his NFL intentions

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Doomsday101, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    USC quarterback Matt Barkley will announce his decision on whether or not he will return to school or enter the NFL Draft today at a press conference, ESPN’s Colin Cowherd said on his radio show this morning.

If the 21-year-old quarterback leaves school he is expected to be a top-10 pick in the draft, however some believe that if he were to stay in school for his senior season he would be a lock for the No. 1 overall pick next season.

http://tracking.si.com/2011/12/22/uscs-matt-barkley-to-announce-nfl-intentions-today/?sct=nfl_t2_a3
  2. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Says he is returning to USC
  3. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,891 Messages
    2,361 Likes Received
    :laugh2: :laugh2:

he'd rather risk career threatening injury than risk being picked by the skins
  4. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    I don't blame him. I think in the long run most of these kids should stay that extra year. A lot of these kids who come out are not ready especially for the mental aspect of what they are about to face.
  5. StylisticS

StylisticS Well-Known Member

8,553 Messages
    285 Likes Received
    This could be disastrous for the Skins. Now the best QB outside Luck is Griffin. If they win one more game, they maybe out of the Griffin sweepstakes if they don't trade up.
  6. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    But , but , but ... they have Rex . Why would they draft a QB ?
  7. 03EBZ06

03EBZ06 Need2Speed

7,979 Messages
    411 Likes Received
    Matt Barkley to play out USC career

LOS ANGELES -- Quarterback Matt Barkley will remain with USC for his senior season, bypassing a potential top-10 selection in April's NFL draft to chase a national championship with the Trojans.

With USC coach Lane Kiffin and his family in attendance, Barkley announced Thursday that while he feels prepared for the NFL, he has more to accomplish with the Trojans. His announcement set off cheers at USC's Heritage Hall.

"This 2012 team has some serious unfinished business to attend to and I plan to play a part in it," Barkley said. "I have firmly decided to forgo the 2012 NFL draft and finish that."

Flanked to his left and right by USC's six Heisman trophies and to his back by a cardinal-and-gold ornamented Christmas tree, the quarterback thanked the hundreds in attendance, his family and his girlfriend before making the announcement. Barkley also said he spent "considerable time" talking over the decision with former USC athletes, pro athletes and NFL experts. They all "validated" his belief that he was ready to declare for the draft, Barkley said.

The 6-foot-2, 220-pound junior threw for 3,528 yards, 39 touchdowns and seven interceptions in 2011, leading the Trojans to a 10-2 record and No. 5 overall finish in The Associated Press Top 25. Barkley informed USC coach Lane Kiffin and the rest of the coaching staff on Wednesday evening about his decision. He presented Kiffin with an ornament reading "One more year."

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncf/story/_/id/7380760/matt-barkley-usc-trojans-says-staying-school
  8. RamziD

RamziD Well-Known Member

1,923 Messages
    120 Likes Received
    I wonder if Kalil will stay now? That would really shake up the top of the draft (at the same time making it less likely for someone of interest to "fall" to our draft spot...)
  9. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    He is entering th draft . A least that is what he said a few days ago .
  10. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,953 Messages
    1,535 Likes Received
    Has he hired an agent? He was trying to decide who to hire the last I heard about a week ago.
  11. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,119 Messages
    3,160 Likes Received
    We don't often agree, but on this we thought the exact same thing. My only question is, do you blame him?

In all seriousness, the reason he would make this decision is pretty obvious to me. Luck is going to go higher. St. Louis and Minnesota and Jacksonville took their QBs of the future in recent drafts. He was looking at his stock dropping. Especially with Griffin III preferred by some teams.

He made a solid choice.
  12. TheDallasDon

TheDallasDon AegonTheConqueror-Now bend the knee

2,520 Messages
    141 Likes Received
    Damn.......need him 2 push players down to Dallas picks.

Stupid Barkley:mad:
  13. RamziD

RamziD Well-Known Member

1,923 Messages
    120 Likes Received
    Thanks, didn't know that.
  14. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    Draft Countdown site has info .
  15. SkinsHokieFan

SkinsHokieFan Well-Known Member

2,253 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    Major disaster this news. Not because I was particularly interested in Barkley, but its one less option.

Winning another game is an epic fail for our franchise

We are never bad enough to be the worst team in a year where there is a potential star
  16. TheDallasDon

2,520 Messages
    141 Likes Received
    I hope y'all don't draft RG III, cuz he's a player that I believe would be dangerous and I would fear him 3 times a year lol
  17. SkinsHokieFan

2,253 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    Rumors are swirling that he is leaning to go back to school.

RG3 is my top guy now. I hope if he does come out we make every effort to get him (which I believe we will)

If the rumors are true and he does return to school, we are in bad shape in this first round.
  18. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,119 Messages
    3,160 Likes Received
    If he comes out I am positive the Redskins will target him.

Unless they can pull a deal for Luck. That would cost a lot, but Shanahan had luck with a different Stanford QB star.
  19. TheDallasDon

2,520 Messages
    141 Likes Received
    I know this is not popular thought........but I think RG III will end up the better pro, Lucks just more pro ready NOW
  20. SkinsHokieFan

2,253 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    The Redskins will totally attempt a move to get RG3, no doubt. Cle has much more ammo though with that 1st round pick

Right now, rumors swirling out of Ashburn is that the Redskins scouts have RG3 at 1, and Luck at 2.