1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Matt Barkley will announce his NFL intentions

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Doomsday101, Dec 22, 2011.

1. cobra

cobra Salty Bastard

3,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Anyone taking RG3 over Luck is an idiot who knows nothing about NFL history.

Time and time again, the pure, smart pocket passer who can read a D has shown to be what teams need to win it all. That's Luck hands down.

The flashy dual threat has yet to lead a team to the Super Bowl. RG3 is not a better prospect than Vick. And if you are drafting, who are you taking: Vick or Peyton/Rogers/Brees/Brady? I'll take the pocket passer who can read a D. Luck has been and is the best QB prospect since Peyton. You would have to be the biggest idiot GM in history to pass on him for RG3.

So, the three camps of people who say they would want RG3 over Luck are: (1) idiots; (2) contrarians who just want to be edgy by picking against the conventional wisdom; and (3) bitter losers of the Luck sweepstakes who are trying to rationalize and make themselves feel good about the prospect of getting RG3 instead of getting Luck.
  2. TheDallasDon

TheDallasDon AegonTheConqueror-Now bend the knee

2,514 Messages
    141 Likes Received
    RG III can and will be a great pocket passer, and he's very intelligent
  3. SkinsHokieFan

SkinsHokieFan Well-Known Member

2,243 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    Agree. His touch on the deep ball is incredible also. He has really developed as a passer

Luck has the higher floor by far and a very high ceiling.

The question is a) does RG3 have a higher ceiling and b) Is Luck>RG3+picks
  4. TheDallasDon

TheDallasDon AegonTheConqueror-Now bend the knee

2,514 Messages
    141 Likes Received
    College Prospects = the rare moment when a Cowboy and Redskin can see eye to eye on football lol
  5. super8

super8 Benched

154 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    go ahead I hope you draft the kid who can not read D's - heard it was the coach that called all plays at BAYLOR - no audibles

- Isn't comfortable taking snaps from under center. Has some experience, but doesn't get much depth, wants to settle his feet too quickly and isn't natural off play action yet.

- Doesn't consistently stay in an ideal throwing position from the pocket. Gets upright and narrow with his base and will bounce around trying to stay in rhythm.

- Lacks a great feel going through his progressions at this stage, more of a one side of the field guy who when flushed can find secondary reads.

- Doesn't do a great job pre-snap identifying the blitz and locating the hot man.

- Gets inconsistent with his release point from the pocket at times, but mostly when rolling right. Will drop arm angle and at times looks to guide the football

Sack City an INT bound

see ya in the areana league in 5 years SON
  6. super8

super8 Benched

154 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    yea but Shanahan did not draft Elway
  7. super8

super8 Benched

154 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  8. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,352 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    lol i'd take this bet in a heart beat. baylor is no slouch academic school and griffin is about to get his masters. far less talented QBs have made it longer than five years in this league and far less intelligent ones have as well
  9. cobra

cobra Salty Bastard

3,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    RG3 might be intelligent, but there is a difference between native intelligence and ability to read a D and run an offense.

RG3 runs a gimmicky college offense. And he does it from the shotgun spread (easy) with no audibles. And if the first read or two isn't there, he runs.

Sure, he can sit and the pocket and throw a catchable ball. But that does not equate to RUNNING an offense or reading a defense.

It is without dispute that Luck can do it because he has done it. He is the epitome of a prospect that fits in the Peyton/Brady/Brees/Rogers mold. He can run an O, audible and shred a D.

RG3 has never shown he can do that and it is a FACT that the attention on him is largely driven by his dual threat nature. Because if you just wanted someone who could put up big passing numbers in a gimmick spread offense, Case Keenum would be on par with RG3. But he's not. Because everyone wants RG3 dual threat. And, as I noted, history conclusively establishes you are better off with a QB like Luck than Griffin if your goal is to win it all.

Again:

So, the three camps of people who say they would want RG3 over Luck are: (1) idiots; (2) contrarians who just want to be edgy by picking against the conventional wisdom; and (3) bitter losers of the Luck sweepstakes who are trying to rationalize and make themselves feel good about the prospect of getting RG3 instead of getting Luck.

(And, someone could be in more than 1 of those camps as Redskins fans drooling over RG3 are in camp #1 and #3)
  10. cobra

cobra Salty Bastard

3,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Native intelligence and good academic performance is not really the issue. I like the kid. He has a good head on his shoulders and seems bright.

The issue here is that he has never shown that he can run an NFL offense. That doesn't mean he sucks. It just means you cannot possibly see him as a better prospect than Luck.

Luck is the best QB prospect since Peyton Manning. RG3 is not. There have been a litany of dual threat and spread QBs over the years that are equal to better prospects than RG3.

Again, the discussion is not "can RG3 be good." He might. I think his size is going to be what really kills him. But he certainly seems like someone that is easy to cheer for.

The discussion is about whether RG3 is in the same ballpark as Luck. And the answer there is clearly no.
  11. SkinsHokieFan

SkinsHokieFan Well-Known Member

2,243 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    Sounds like what was said about Cam Newton
  12. cobra

cobra Salty Bastard

3,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah, they did. And Cam Newton is 5-9 with below 60% completion percentage and a 1:1 TD/Int ratio. But he's awesome because he has the record for QB rushing TDs!

Me, I'll take a pocket passer. You know, the ones who actually win NFL championships.

I think we have a proud member of category 1 and 3 here, folks.
  13. rkell87

7,352 Messages
    124 Likes Received

never said or disputed any of this, my reply was to a person foolishly pronouncing that he would be out of the league in five years.

i will dispute the ballpark comment though. I would contend that being an NFL starter would put him 'in the ballpark' with luck
  14. rkell87

7,352 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    lol, if luck starts next year, would you take a bet that luck will out preform cams numbers as a rookie?

having a season like cam is, is unheard of as a rookie and 5-9 is not too bad an improvement for the worst team in football from a year before. compound this with the fact that he came in as starter from day one and did what he has without mini camps and working with the offensive coordinator due to the lock out and it is remarkable that he was on pace with brady, brees, and rodgers for as long as he was.

there is nothing cam has done/not done that you can point to and say he is the reason they are not better than 5-9, in fact, they are 5-9 almost exclusively because of him
  15. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,100 Messages
    2,221 Likes Received
    He's not far from breaking the rookie passing yards record as well....if he has not already done so.
    He has throw for more yards this year than Matt Ryan has and is not far behind Romo.
  16. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,624 Messages
    1,388 Likes Received
    5-9 is the team record. Cam Newton is part of the team, but he isn't solely responsible for that record. Carolina was a very bad team last year and had a coaching change. No one expected them to have a winning record this season.

Cam Newton currently at 59.58%

Rookie record for completion percentage:
    66.44% Ben Roethlisberger
    61.06% Matt Ryan
    60.05% Joe Flacco

So, Cam is not far off the pace at being one of the more accurate rookies. I don't think anyone can jump to any conclusions on how well he will do the rest of his career just because he is currently below 60%. As if 60% is easy for rookies to attain.

Cam Newton currently at 283 completions out of 475 attempts

Rookie record for completions:
    354 Sam Bradford 590 attempts(60.00%)
    326 Peyton Manning 575 attempts (56.70%)
    293 Chris Weinke 540 attempts((54.26%)

More than likely Cam will move up to #3 in completions for a rookie with fewer attempts than Weinke.

Cam Newton currently at 3722 yards(7.84 yards per attempt)

Rookie record for yards:
    3,739 Peyton Manning((6.50 ypa)
    3,512 Sam Bradford(5.95 ypa)
    3,440 Matt Ryan(7.93 ypa)