1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Matt Elam

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Playmaker247, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Playmaker247

Playmaker247 Member

49 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    This is exactly what we've been looking for!
  2. Playmaker247

Playmaker247 Member

49 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    It wont let me post the link

[youtube]rREjDTpTedE[/youtube]
  3. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,192 Messages
    275 Likes Received
    I like him but is has some major problems. He takes bad angles in coverage, he ia looking more for the big hit than to make the right play. Also not a square up solid tackler, more of a lay the shoulder hit tackler.

Angles and tackling can be coached so I would be fine with him depending on who else Is tjere when we pick. But he isn't my favorite safety in this draft.

Word is Dallas really likes Reid and Vcarro.
  4. RamziD

RamziD Well-Known Member

1,871 Messages
    88 Likes Received
    I think we take either OL or S in the first round. Warmack/Cooper (OG) or Vaccaro/Elam (S). These are are most immediate needs.
  5. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,926 Messages
    1,668 Likes Received
    This guy is a player, but I kind of think he's overrated. Sorry, that must sound snobbish.
    He seems like he's at his best near the LOS--kind of like Roy Williams.
    His ball skills also don't seem special.

Love how he hits and he has great passion.

But it'd take a 1st round pick...so no thanks.

The kid out of South Carolina may be a better fit for the Tampa 2.
  6. supercowboy8

5,192 Messages
    275 Likes Received
    I agree with what you said about Elam. But I think Vcarro, Reid, Williams, Thomas, and Rambo are the best safties for kiffin defense.
  7. DFWJC

21,926 Messages
    1,668 Likes Received
    Reid in the second works for me.
  8. Goldenrichards83

Goldenrichards83 Active Member

1,612 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Jefferson, Williams or Rambo would be great fits for this defense. Jefferson has the instincts to really be a great safety I also love how he supports the run. Love Williams leadership and passion and Rambo is just a ball hawk. Cant go wrong with any of these guys
  9. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

3,960 Messages
    428 Likes Received
    Reid in the 2nd round...
  10. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Really impressed with the tape of TJ McDonald against Stanford. Kiffin had him playing all over the field and performing just about every assignment you could ask out of a safety. A wake up call for those who believe in these flat 2 dimensional caricatures of what a safety does in his defense. People need to stop clinging to these elementary school concepts with both hands.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcjvW1yA73A
  11. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,822 Messages
    85 Likes Received
    I don't really understand the Reid love. I have watched a little bit of him and have not been impressed. He looks like he has been exposed now that he isn't surrounded by NFL talent in that defensive secondary.
  12. supercowboy8

5,192 Messages
    275 Likes Received
    It's funny that the OP is sold on Elam after watching a highlight video. Come one guys, of corse he is going to look good in all his highlights.
  13. supercowboy8

5,192 Messages
    275 Likes Received
    Reid was asked to play more in the box and play more man coverage this year due to all the nfl talent in the secondary leaving. Of course he isn't going to look as good without claiborne, Peterson, or honeybager, but who would.

Reid is best when he can sit back in zone and watch the play develop. That is kust what kiffin wants from his safeties. When we had Ryan I didn't want anything to do with Red but now he fits the scheme.
  14. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,846 Messages
    917 Likes Received
    Inside info? All I care about is getting the best covering safety, violent hits dont win, covering does.
  15. supercowboy8

5,192 Messages
    275 Likes Received
    Yes kind of, I have a family member that is very close to the nfl and nfl scouts

But I'm sure Dallas is high on other players as well
  16. dart

dart Benched

811 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    S Josh Evans, Florida (6-1, 200, 4.54) -- When discussing Florida safety prospects in this draft, most conversations will be dominated by the hard-hitting Matt Elam. However, Evans deserves to be mentioned in the same breath. A rangy, physical player, he led the Gators in tackles this past season with 83 stops, adding three interceptions and six passes defended. Evans is aggressive near the line of scrimmage and surprisingly does a nice job working through traffic, but he needs to improve his consistency in space, often taking streaky angles and gaining poor positioning in coverage. While Elam is the more well-known safety from Gainesville, Evans matches his toughness and energy and isn't far behind him in regards to his NFL future.
  17. Shinywalrus

Shinywalrus Active Member

1,740 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    I would be shocked if we went OL or S instead of DL in Round 1.
  18. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,690 Messages
    1,136 Likes Received
    I don't understand how there isn't more love for Rambo. The guy is a perfect FS to compliment Church in a cover 2 type of scheme.

He might not be as good a tackler as guys like Vaccaro or Reid, but I don't think there is a better ball hawk type available this year.
  19. SoCalCowboyFan

SoCalCowboyFan Member

67 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    ^this has had 16 interceptions in his career.

But he was suspended for 1st game in the '11 season for possession of a marijuana joint and 4 games to start this past season for failing a drug test. Claims he ate brownies that he didn't know were laced with marijuana. Of course this will probably drop his stock a little and if he has that all behind him, he'd be a great day 2 pick up.
  20. DFWJC

21,926 Messages
    1,668 Likes Received
    Yeah. Rambo could be a really nice fit, if Church is healthy. Tackling is a huge factor in this scheme though. But it's not like he's a terrible tackler.