1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Matt Johnson will return to practice next week

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by dmq, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,521 Messages
    467 Likes Received
    :lmao2:
  2. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,726 Messages
    3,226 Likes Received
    I've never understood the hate for Johnson. He might be a little snake bit with injuries but the poor guy has never got a break. Hopefully he will be healthy for training camp because I would really like to see him on the field.
  3. DallasDW00ds0n

DallasDW00ds0n Well-Known Member

3,082 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    How could anyone not understand the hate? We drafted him and he never played a snap. Ware played through whatever he was going through, Witten had a bleeding spleen, Dez Bryant played with a broken finger, Felix Jones found the field despite his inability to change a direction... etc etc.

He should have found a way, just like Witten when doctors told him no.
  4. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,521 Messages
    467 Likes Received
    I don't necessarily see anyone "Hating" on Johnson. There's frustration with him and a few jokes made at his expense, but I don't see any "hate".

I think every cowboys fan hopes he's the next Cliff Harris.
  5. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,374 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    What I do remember reading about M Johnson was that the defensive coaches were excited about his ability back there in the limited practices he was avilable.

It would be great to see Church and Johnson being ready and able for TC next year.

But regardless, I think we'll probably end up spending a Day 3 pick on another Safety, if only for depth - which isn't a bad idea, imo.
  6. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member

3,414 Messages
    1,331 Likes Received
    Personally, I just think it is hilarious that people are saying we addressed the position by drafting this guy. People get upset when a guy is hyped up and never plays a snap.
  7. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,330 Messages
    482 Likes Received
    I think this is the most accurate statement. He may be good, he may be bad, but he was always the last player selected in the fourth round from a small school. The people busting the kid's chops for being injured are just as bad as the ones that hyped him up as an impact player going into 2012. He was never going to make an impact in 2012 even if he was healthy.
  8. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,367 Messages
    1,399 Likes Received
    I remember the days when Rookies were drafted with the idea that they would not play in their first season or two. They were expected to learn the system and learn how to be Pros. Times have certainly changed.

Johnson may or may not turn out to be a good player for us but at this point, it's way to early to make a decision on that. Anybody who thinks it's wise to do so should look back at Carter or Romo or a Laundry List of others who did not play significantly in their first year in the NFL.

Tom Brady, possibly the best QB in the last 15 years, certainly amoung the top 10 QBs who have every played this game did not play in his 1st year in the NFL. Three passes the entire season I believe. I wonder where New England would be now if they had decided that Brady was not worth waiting for.

Roger Staubach, arguably the greatest player in the History of this Franchise did not play in his 1st year. Heck, he didn't play in his first 3 years, after being drafted and then, he barely played in his first two years with the team. What would have happened had we not waited for him?

Time will tell on Johnson but the wisest course of action, at this point, is to be patient with him and see what he develops into.
  9. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

3,990 Messages
    435 Likes Received
    My father taught me at an early age you make your own breaks in life.
  10. Rynie

Rynie Benched

4,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Well, I'm upset that we had to spend $10,000 on the world's largest tampon for this guy. That money could have been used for greener pants.
  11. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,006 Messages
    1,029 Likes Received
    I think you are confusing frustration for hate. Ya gotta admit missing a season on a pulled muscle probably not the best sign. Also hurt in college usually means more hurt in pro.
  12. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,201 Messages
    766 Likes Received
    He had a bad hammy, you can't play safety with a bad hammy. He would be burned more than Danny McCray.