1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Matt Johnson

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by LatinMind, Jan 7, 2013.

1. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,444 Messages
    421 Likes Received
    No, you address the safety position like it's a glaring need, which it basically is.
  2. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,567 Messages
    501 Likes Received
    Along with DT, DE, G, C, and OLB...
  3. TheSport78

8,444 Messages
    421 Likes Received
    Absolutely!
  4. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,507 Messages
    6,258 Likes Received
    Garrett's said the team has been pretty excited with what little they've seen in practice. I think they're pretty high on him.

Still would prefer we bring in another CB/S hybrid in the draft. And maybe another value veteran FA at that position, as insurance.
  5. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

14,969 Messages
    432 Likes Received
    It wouldn't have to be a first-round pick, and we will have free-agent money.
  6. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,032 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    I would absolutely use a 1st rounder on a safety if the right player is available. It was arguably one of the weakest positions on the team.
  7. cowboyschmps3

cowboyschmps3 Well-Known Member

2,674 Messages
    170 Likes Received
    Your right, a full offseason, should be able too add strength and some bulk especially if he is going too be a strong safety for us
  8. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Benched

7,355 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Oh I forgot about those 3 extra 1st rd picks and 30mil in unused cap space.

We'd all love to have nothing but 1st and 2nd rd picks still playing on their rookie deals and established veterans earning 8mil plus a year make up the starting 22...and of course all of them playing at level consumate to the resources spent on them....

But the math doesn't work.

Resigning Spencer and improving both our OL and DL are priorities that supercede S.

We've already invested huge resources in the secondary. For better or worse, Church and Johnson will be competing in camp with RFAs and maybe a 3rd day draft pick.
  9. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,032 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    I disagree on the DL. I think that bad safety play hindered the defense far more than the DL did. I do agree that the OL was bad though.
  10. 4lifecowboy

4lifecowboy Active Member

823 Messages
    52 Likes Received
    Been waiting to hear that. If we can fill two holes in FA we won't have to reach in the draft.
    But i disagree with the "pretend" he don't exist thinking, it should be more line of a extra draft pick type of thinking IMO.
  11. TheSport78

8,444 Messages
    421 Likes Received
    Newsflash, it doesn't have to be a 1st round pick. You're just making generalizations and assumptions, and if you think it's smart going into the season with a small school safety who couldn't get on the field at all, and a projected starter coming off of an Achilles tear, then I don't know what else to say.

The trenches are without a doubt a higher priority over safety, but safety right is right behind them.

Oh, and there are always ways to work around the cap, especially with the possible cuts Dallas will be making.
  12. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Benched

7,355 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  13. hra8700

hra8700 Active Member

806 Messages
    56 Likes Received
    I'm very excited to see matt johnson. The coaching staff seems to like what they saw in the limited practices he's been in. I'm more excited about him now than right after the draft.

I don't know why everyone immediately jumps all over players who get injured...
  14. 4lifecowboy

4lifecowboy Active Member

823 Messages
    52 Likes Received
    Not that taking a safety somewhere in the draft wouldn't be smart, but if we took one with our first rounder I would hope no one is standing within arm length's of me.
  15. blackbull

blackbull Well-Known Member

1,284 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    No more sensabaugh. Atleast church lays wood.
  16. TheXFactor

TheXFactor Well-Known Member

613 Messages
    253 Likes Received
    Church was actually playing decently well before he got hurt. He'll probably start next year, hopefully next to Byrd but that's wishful thinking.
  17. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,032 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    I wouldn't. It has been an area of weakness for a very long time. I am hoping that we address at least one position on the OL during free agency and then devote rounds 1-3 to S, DL, and OL. It doesn't matter which is addressed first just as long as we are getting the better value. If it happens to be a S, then so be it. Just my two cents.
  18. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

3,030 Messages
    153 Likes Received
    It looks like Gerald Sensabaugh's 2013 base salary ($3M) is guaranteed.

He isn't going anywhere.
  19. BruceLee5450

BruceLee5450 Well-Known Member

2,108 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    Lets see what the team can do in free agency first before we have those type of posts.. I know the money might be tight right now, but Jerry & Stephen can create some space with cuts & restructured deals. If the Cowboys think they can get a top-notch safety, it might be time to make that move. That has been our weakest position for years & years & if they feel Vacarro or Reid can stabilize that position & make an impact, I wouldn't be against it. I will agree with your assessment though if they are unable to upgrade the o-line/d-line via free agency.
  20. Wolf2k5

Wolf2k5 Active Member

851 Messages
    199 Likes Received
    The thing is also do you believe he's injury prone or just had a bad luck year? The way our year went on the injury front I'm willin to lean towards the latter