1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Matt Johnson?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by jaybird, Aug 9, 2013.

1. dcstands4

dcstands4 Active Member

652 Messages
    98 Likes Received
    \\

Where talking about Matt Johnson
  2. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

24,455 Messages
    4,685 Likes Received
    In "all fairness" I dare you to find a draft choice that earned almost Terry Glenn-on the active roster-all year status like Johnson enjoyed last year.
  3. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    We're hoping he's our future at safety. I'm not sure why he's active if they're not playing him. But I get why they think he could be a good player. Everything I've seen points to that he can be a good NFL player if he can stay healthy.
  4. Alexander

24,455 Messages
    4,685 Likes Received
    We have already seen what "hope" does with regard to personnel decisions with this franchise.

We have two "hopes" at guard which did not pan out and it is driving us to actually consider signing a 36 year old guard who has sat out of football for a year.
  5. BigDPlayer

BigDPlayer Member

529 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    Matt reminds me of the safety prospect a few years back - I think his name was Justin Babeneaux or Justin Basbee or something like that. Apparently all the promise in the world but injury after injury just kept him off the field. Anyone remember?
  6. Alexander

24,455 Messages
    4,685 Likes Received
    Beriault. And we did not stash him on the roster like he was a prized treasure.
  7. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,669 Messages
    668 Likes Received
    We have "hopes" up and down the roster. Very few sure things. Romo was a hope. Murray was a hope (and still is). Dez was a hope, in the sense of getting past all the off-field issues. Even Ware was a hope when they drafted him. Many have worked out. Some haven't.
  8. Picksix

4,669 Messages
    668 Likes Received
    Totally different cases, though. Beriault had a degenerative knee condition that forced him out of the game. There was no point in keeping him around, because he was done. Johnson's not to that point yet.
  9. Alexander

24,455 Messages
    4,685 Likes Received
    You cannot equate the hope of any of these talents to what we have done with Johnson. Romo had to work and play to inspire "hope". Bryant, Murray and Ware were more than accomplished enough in school to justify the hope. I can honestly say I have never seen such irrational hope ascribed to a draft choice that has done so little than Matt Johnson.
  10. Picksix

4,669 Messages
    668 Likes Received
    Romo didn't show much of anything in his first year + to inspire a whole lot of hope. It took time. Time that you seem to be reluctant to give Johnson. Murray and Dez were great in college. So was Johnson. Don't know many safeties who intercepted 7 passes in one season. Small school? Yeah, but not much smaller than Ware's. Bryant had major off-field issues to deal with. That's where the hope lied with him. And a small school player missed his rookie year because of injury, and then got hurt again in his first preseason game, and the team hasn't cut him yet. You've never seen "such irrational hope" like that before?
  11. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    It is hurting the team. The roster is full of guys that can't be depended on to stay healthy. It comes a time when it gets too many of these type players. That time was three years ago.
  12. AmberBeer

AmberBeer Benched

2,996 Messages
    1,046 Likes Received
    It has nothing to do with "hope". The coaching staff has seen Johnson for 2 years now. They know his talent inside and out. They've obviously seen enough of it to warrant the patience they're showing.
  13. Alexander

24,455 Messages
    4,685 Likes Received
    How exactly? The handful of practices? The grand total of a half of a quarter of a preseason games?

If you are right, they are judging his college film and impressive work on the side with the trainers as an indication of his "talent".
  14. AmberBeer

AmberBeer Benched

2,996 Messages
    1,046 Likes Received
    OTA's, mini-camps, training camp. They've had plenty of time to see what he's capable of. As far as his injuries, they're able to see how he deals with the rehab. They can observe his commitment to the game. It's more than just the physical talent that makes a good NFL football player.
  15. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,397 Messages
    317 Likes Received
    Beriault played in preseason games and was out of this world. But the knee...
    BigDPlayer likes this.
  16. BigDPlayer

BigDPlayer Member

529 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    Yes! Thank you. That's right a deg knee, I knew it was something medical that robbed his potential. Matt's deal is diff just little nagging incessant injuries that are mind numbingly frustrating!
  17. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member

3,508 Messages
    1,425 Likes Received
    If either of those guys get seriously injured again, it is time to look at other options. At least they have played in an actual game.
  18. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,531 Messages
    91 Likes Received
    Or that there is almost no talent there with significant upside. Once you get past Church, Allen & Wilcox, who has upside of any significance? And of course last year it was far worse. But I know some folks greatly prefer to play the "Jerry is stubborn or stupid" card.
  19. jobberone

jobberone Orangutans make great guitarists Staff Member

36,361 Messages
    3,241 Likes Received
    Nice job!
    Picksix likes this.
  20. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

3,245 Messages
    1,061 Likes Received
    Dez was a first rounder with first round talent and production against top competition. Matt Johnson was a fourth rounder on NOBODY's draft board. Prior to him being selected, he appeared on no one's mock, wish list, etc. he is probably no different than AOA. I get the optimism, but his place on the roster is likely keeping another contributor off. If he can't get on the field he is of NO value.
    CowboyStar88 likes this.