1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Maybe We Need to Lay Off Jason Garrett

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by DOUBLE WING, Nov 29, 2012.

1. DOUBLE WING

DOUBLE WING Well-Known Member

3,226 Messages
    852 Likes Received
    Most gameday's, I want to wring his little red neck. The further away we get from the losses though, the more clarity I get.

He's not the problem.

He's A problem....but not THE problem.

One thing has been proven in Jerry Jones' tenure is you have to be an all-time great coach to successfully co-exist with him (and even then, he'll eventually force you out).

See: Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells.

With all the obstacles, pitfalls and downright idiocy that someone working with the Jones family has to put up with, anything less than hall of fame, all-time great excellence is going to fall short.

Look, it's clear as day he's not ready for this job. He's a bad NFL head coach right now. Maybe someday he'll be a good head coach, but not now. He's a smart guy and with a lot more seasoning, he may make a very good head coach somewhere else someday.

I'm going to make a concerted effort to go easier on him. Even if he did have potential to be a great coach, it's just that...potential. And that potential is NEVER going to be realized while handcuffed to the Jones circus.

We've got to stop thinking that getting rid of Garrett is going to make everything better. It will only make things better if we get an ALL-TIME GREAT COACH in here to replace him. Someone who would FORCE Jerry to step back and relinquish personnel control of the team. As bad as we think Garrett is, I think we could do a lot worse too. Firing him and bringing in some buffoon like Les Miles? Would be total Jerry.

There's very few guys around that fit the bill of what we need to be successful under the Jones regime. Sean Payton is one of them. If we don't get him, I don't really see what difference firing Garrett will really make.
  2. cml750

cml750 Well-Known Member

2,382 Messages
    619 Likes Received
    It wouldn't bother me at all if Jerry laid him off tomorrow!!!!:lmao:
  3. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

15,272 Messages
    1,524 Likes Received
    We do need to lay him off.
  4. anava

anava Well-Known Member

1,573 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    That's fine to blame Jerry for the players being lazy and dumb cause he coddles them. But what is Garrett's excuse for all the mismanagement on gameday.
  5. DOUBLE WING

3,226 Messages
    852 Likes Received
    Wow..totally didn't intend for the double meaning in the headline :lmao2:
  6. DOUBLE WING

3,226 Messages
    852 Likes Received
    I'm not excusing anything. As I said, I don't believe he's a good NFL coach right now, but I don't think it's going to make a difference as long as Jerry runs the show.
  7. fifaguy

fifaguy Well-Known Member

4,593 Messages
    819 Likes Received
    You said that Sean Payton is one of them. There are others. You fix the problems that can be fixed. Firing JG and hiring another of the great coaches is would be a step in the right direction.
  8. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,923 Messages
    9,007 Likes Received
    There's no question that he takes the brunt of the criticism for Jerry. He's the guy who can be replaced. So he's the guy fans focus on. The truth is he's in the hardest spot to win in the entire league. You don't have a GM. You don't have a VP of Personnel, and...oh by the way....your owner is a lunatic who will completely destroy any authority you think you're gonna have in your own locker room.

Rather than look at the young coach who hasn't yet overcome it all, I focus on the guy who puts these unnecessary hurdles in the way in the first place. Why can't a young coach develop and thrive in Dallas? The answer has nothing to do with Jason Garrett.
  9. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,624 Messages
    1,158 Likes Received
    Excellent post.

Rather a person believes this is the case or not I don't see how anyone couldn't see the quality of this post and the points it makes.
  10. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,229 Messages
    505 Likes Received
    Very good post. JG will take a very long road to develop into a good HC here as long as the idiot in in charge of this organization.

Take an honest look at potential coaches that would actually come here and tell me who would make this team better?

Payton and Cowher are never coming here.

Gruden? - this guy is terrible
    Holmgren? - good coach, but now you add another guy to the crowd that can't evaluate talent to save his life

When JJ is gone, we will win again, until then just get used to 8-8 seasons or less.
  11. Nation

Nation Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,475 Messages
    975 Likes Received
    History has been much kinder to the Parcells era than it truly was
  12. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Exactly.

If Garrett understands basic clock, timeout, and player management that any high school coach gets, we make the playoffs last year. Jerry will never be an ideal owner, but those botched calls on gameday aren't on Jerry.

Now if we were to fire Garrett and hire some lame old crony like, say, Butch Davis, then yeah, maybe not much would change. But you bring in a better coach and of course the results will be better.
  13. erod

erod Well-Known Member

5,049 Messages
    2,233 Likes Received
    Garrett repeatedly falls on the sword for Jerry. He has to play poker every Sunday with no kings in the deck. He's handicapped by Jerry's gross mismanagement of the roster from 3+ years ago.

Garrett has done some dumb things, too, but he's working with a short stack as he tries to gradually fix it.

He's cooked, though, if he doesn't get to nine wins. Jerry needs a fall guy for next season's ticket sales.
  14. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,828 Messages
    4,895 Likes Received
    I'll be glad when that dream finally gets killed.
  15. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    I'm sorry, but that is absurd. Ware, Witten, Dez, Lee, Bryant, Carter, Carr, Claiborne, Spencer, Smith, Romo... No way is that a bad hand.

Go look at Jacksonville or Buffalo or KC or the Raiders for teams with lousy talent.
  16. cowboyfan4life2

cowboyfan4life2 Well-Known Member

1,121 Messages
    203 Likes Received
    I am all for laying off Garrett.
  17. ykc

ykc Active Member

600 Messages
    40 Likes Received

I didn't like his conservative approach at that time, but now I realize what a great coach he has been for us after Jimmy. JJ hired 2 great coaches, Jimmy and BP. Jimmy took 1-15 team and got us 3 super bowls. Parcells took 3 straight 5-11 teams and got us to NFC championship game (I know the year after he left). All other HC's are garbage, I will give chan gailey some credit as he got us to playoffs 2 years he was here...
  18. Dallas4ever

Dallas4ever Active Member

2,547 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    This never happened. Not even after he left.
  19. fifaguy

fifaguy Well-Known Member

4,593 Messages
    819 Likes Received
    It is possible to have both a terrible owner AND an inadequate coach. Why do we have to be stuck with both?
  20. ykc

ykc Active Member

600 Messages
    40 Likes Received
    Sorry my bad, had No1 Seed in NFC with 13-3 record