1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Mayock Pre-combine position rankings for 2013 NFL Draft

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by RS12, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Macnalty

Macnalty Active Member

925 Messages
    36 Likes Received

Your right on Barrett Jones being maxed out in college, Outland and Remington Trophy, all american citations playing OT, OG, and Center. He has had that foot injury before the final couple of games and he was not able to place weight on his injured foot they still managed to run right up the gut, of course they had Lacy which helps considerably. You are probably right it is just a fluke this kid maxed out at every position he played on the national championship team, lets go look for someone else. No way this kid has anything to contribute to our superior offensive line sorry Jerry I did not mean to out you. Send me another beer down here at the end of the bar. I hope we are not going to stick our head in the ground anymore and pray for someone in the third rd to start on the oline.
  2. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

10,128 Messages
    2,982 Likes Received
    Many people have overrated Barrett Jones a little bit; however, comparing him to Arkin is just a cry for attention.

Before the injury/surgery, I thought he was a mid 2nd round pick. I don't think he was ever a 1st rounder. Now with the injury/surgery considered, I could see him falling to the late 2nd or early 3rd round.

The comparison that I've been using is Kyle Kosier. A solid NFL player with some limitations.
  3. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,109 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    Costa's problem has never been strength. Its footspeed. You can get stronger but there is nothing you can do about footspeed
  4. Bigdog24

Bigdog24 Well-Known Member

1,797 Messages
    149 Likes Received
    Doesn't really matter IMO.....it would be a wasted draft pick for the Cowboys...... There were reasons why Bob Stoop would take Landry Jones off the field in the Redzone.....

Plus: when has the last time a player named Jones succeeded in Dallas.....Julius..nope....Pacman...nope.....Felix...nope.....so NO to Landry Jones as well
  5. xwalker

10,128 Messages
    2,982 Likes Received
    I've been reviewing all the OL players using the All-22 from NFL.com. Costa looks like Usain Bolt compared to Kyle Cook.

I don't think that Costa has footspeed issues. He played slow in the beginning of 2011 when he was a 2nd year player and 1st year starter. He also had some ankle issues in training camp and later in the season.

Costa's quickness measureables compare favorably with those of the Pouncey brothers.

Phil Costa
    Height: 6025
    Weight: 308
    40 Yrd Dash: 5.12
    20 Yrd Dash: 3.09
    10 Yrd Dash: 1.60
    225 Lb. Bench Reps: 30
    Vertical Jump: 35
    Broad Jump: 09'04"
    20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.65
    3-Cone Drill: 7.66

Maurkice Pouncey
    Height: 6044
    Weight: 304
    40 Yrd Dash: 5.25
    20 Yrd Dash: 2.94
    10 Yrd Dash: 1.78
    225 Lb. Bench Reps: 25
    Vertical Jump: 27
    Broad Jump: 07'11"
    20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.92

Mike Pouncey

Height: 6050
    Weight: 303
    40 Yrd Dash: 5.12
    20 Yrd Dash: 2.96
    10 Yrd Dash: 1.78
    225 Lb. Bench Reps: 24
    Vertical Jump: 25
    Broad Jump: 08'00"
    20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.64
    3-Cone Drill: 7.66
  6. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

18,844 Messages
    856 Likes Received
    That's why Bama players ALWAYS dominate in the NFL right?

Award winners from college always pan out right?
  7. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

18,844 Messages
    856 Likes Received
    Barrett Jones
    WEAKNESSES: Doesn't blow defenders off the ball with pure strength. Not a flashy athlete and may struggle to excel at the NFL level.

6'4" and 305.

David Arkin
    6'4" and 300. http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/david-arkin?id=2495112

33 7/8 arms
    25 reps.
    5.36 40.
    WEAKNESSES: Small school player who displays nastiness scouts love but lacks ideal size or strength. Dominated players on lower level. Needs time in NFL weight room.

I have also used Kyle Kosier and if you are looking at top end results for Jones that makes sense. But as a rookie? right now? Arkin makes more sense.
  8. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,109 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    yeah and players always match what their combine numbers show?

Costa just cannot move quick enough. Several people very familiar with O line play have commented on this. That is why he always looks bad when he has to move quickly. When he can stay in place he does fine as he is very strong. But forcing him to move quickly just is not what he can do.
  9. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,515 Messages
    463 Likes Received
    I don't give a rat's behind what combine numbers are for linemen. Running fast on a track and playing fast are NOT THE SAME THING.
  10. xwalker

10,128 Messages
    2,982 Likes Received
    He has gotten jacked-up by DLinemen while on the move; however, it was not due to lack of footspeed. He must play with perfect technique due to his short arms. His technique was not good at the beginning of 2011; however, it got much better by the end of that season and in the limited number of snaps that he played in 2012.

Any way you look at it, either through measureables or by viewing game footage, Costa has much better footspeed than Kyle Cook. It's not even close.

Like it or not, NFL teams value measureables. They spend money on the combine for a reason.
  11. xwalker

10,128 Messages
    2,982 Likes Received
    I like tacos.