1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

McBriar - Best punter in the league

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Crown Royal, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Crown Royal

Crown Royal Insulin Beware

10,368 Messages
    709 Likes Received
    Is the most dominating and feared player on our team by the opposition. He will get in the head of the other teams offense more than any other single player.

Discuss.:D
  2. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    I know it's tongue in cheek, but having a punter like that is HUGE. When you can reverse field position even if you can't move the ball, that is a VERY valuable weapon. Matt could be looking at a pro-bowl, lol. If our gunners can locate the ball better down around the goal-line, his average would be even better.
  3. Doomsday

Doomsday Rising Star

10,343 Messages
    212 Likes Received
    We always knew he had a huge leg and seems like now he is starting to find that consistency that should make him one of the best in the league.
  4. Crown Royal

10,368 Messages
    709 Likes Received
    I got to watch him in his first training camp here. He's been kicking that way in camp since then...glad it's translating to the field. He has a trip to hawaii in his future.
  5. ric

ric Member

137 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    True.

Gibbs even had a bounty on his head.(The Rock Cartwright Personal Foul):laugh2:
  6. ZeroClub

ZeroClub just trying to get better

7,619 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah. He's looking quite good these days.
  7. Paniolo22

Paniolo22 Hawaiian Cowboy

3,621 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    Make that a trip "back" to Hawaii :cool:
  8. Duane

Duane Active Member

6,885 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    I'd still wish that someone would spend a few months teaching him how to kick off deep.
  9. Crown Royal

10,368 Messages
    709 Likes Received
    Agree....but I think the thing is that he has never really kicked off a tee. He is a good punter because he is a rugger, if I understand correctly. No tees there.
  10. Duane

Duane Active Member

6,885 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    You're right but it's not like he can't learn a new skill. Maybe Jerry can offer him a few hundred grand to pick that up in the off season.
  11. tomson75

tomson75 Brain Dead Shill

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received

actually there are. after scoring a try (5 points) you are awarded a free kick (place kick if you will) that may be placed on a tee, for an additional 2 points.
  12. fanfromvirginia

fanfromvirginia Inconceivable!

4,014 Messages
    164 Likes Received
    This is all fine and dandy but for gawdsakes don't anybody call for his head the next time he shanks one.
  13. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    A statement so obviously and undeniably true requires no further discussion... one hopes that the NFL has the wisdom, the foresight to have already commissioned Mat's bust for Canton...

They should waive the mandatory five year waiting period for induction, and put him in the day after he retires... the Hall of Fame will have no credibility until McBriar takes his rightful place among the immortals...

Someday, I see him becoming commissioner of the NFL, perhaps even Prime Minister of Australia... the papacy might be a bit beyond him, don't even know if he's Catholic... if not, the Catholics should rewrite their rules, to make him eligible...

I wouldn't even rule out a Nobel Peace Prize some day... such is the legend of Mat "Thunderfoot" McBriar...
  14. CrazyCowboy

CrazyCowboy Well-Known Member

32,177 Messages
    154 Likes Received
    I do like the way he booms those punts to the other end of the field.....he is a very good weapon
  15. Jarv

Jarv Loud pipes saves lives. Zone Supporter

7,073 Messages
    120 Likes Received
    I'll be the 1st to admit I don't know much about kicking, but someone hold the darn ball and lets see what it looks like when he booms it off a tee !
  16. TEK2000

TEK2000 New Member

2,152 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Some of you think this is all funny and stuff... but stop and think about it for a second.

The defense gives it all to hold us deep in our own end of the field. Their offense starts thinking... oh yeah we'll get some good field position here....

then.. BOOM McBriar unloads a 50+ yard punt and puts them back deep on THEIR end of the field.
    That in itself can be deflating for the offense to think about NOW having to drive the ball 80+ yards to score rather than maybe 50 or so yards.

The best part about it is that his kicks are HIGH and LONG... he's not severely outkicking the coverage guys. They may not be right on the returner when he catches it but they aren't far behind.
  17. SteveOS

SteveOS Dedicated to Sports Gaming

1,883 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Did anyone actually see the hit? I never saw it on replay.
  18. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,334 Messages
    309 Likes Received
    He's still a bit of a head case...I'd be happier if he were capable of hitting a high, unreturnable 45 yarder instead of long, uncoverable 55-60 yarders.

I think we're all still waiting for him to be consistant with his hang time.
  19. FLCowboyFan

FLCowboyFan Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.

2,279 Messages
    187 Likes Received
  20. HighTechDave

HighTechDave 7 Years of College Down the Drain

2,069 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    btw, where did we get him from? What a find!!!!!

There is another punter to watch out for, from the Auburn Tigers