1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

McCain Advisers Taking Ayers, Wright Off The Table?

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by BrAinPaiNt, Oct 8, 2008.

1. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,658 Messages
    2,668 Likes Received
    LINK

As noted here and elsewhere, the words "William Ayers" appeared nowhere in yesterday's debate, despite the fact that the McCain campaign hinted for days that McCain would go hard at Obama's associations.

Now Politico reports that McCain advisers are privately indicating that Ayers, and Obama's pastor, Jeremiah Wright, may be off the table for good:

If it's really true that the McCain team is holstering this pistol, it suggests that the McCain campaign's internal polling on how the Ayers stuff is playing is just brutal, likely among independents. It also suggests that Obama's counter-attack -- lambasting McCain's campaign for wanting to change the subject from the economy to personal attacks -- has been effective.

Also: No more hits on Ayers or Wright will make for a lot of disappointed conservatives.

All that said, whether or not Ayers comes up again, the McCain campaign hasn't stopped with its strategy of painting Obama as a risky and vaguely sinister unknown. The campaign released an ad this morning asking, "who is Barack Obama?," and concluding, "Mr. Obama, we all know the truth."
  2. BrAinPaiNt

59,658 Messages
    2,668 Likes Received
    If this indeed is true it will just reinforce what some have been saying that this attack has not worked in the past and it does not seem to be working now.
  3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,449 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    I guess what many on this board thought was a silver bullet is just another empty round.
  4. Bach

Bach Benched

7,645 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Many = one?
  5. Goldenrichards83

Goldenrichards83 Active Member

1,612 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Back to the drawing board.
  6. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yep. People don't give a shat about negative tactics when they are losing their homes, retirement accounts and jobs.

I was disappointed in John McCain for not even mentioning all the claims his campaign has made that Barack Obama is anti-american, associates with terrorists and is muslim. I was definately willing to listen to him make a good case that he is all the aforementioned. If Barack Obama is this dangerous, he had the opportunity and the duty to tell millions of Americans on TV last night about it.

But I don't even think John McCain believes any of it.
  7. canters

canters Active Member

1,778 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    I will believe it when I see it.....I predict we will yet see Rev J Wright on commercials before this is done. The Dems will scream racism, but it is a legit issue to show Barry to be a liar ( "I never heard him say that") and to be way too comfortable around far left types who hate this country.

If McCain does not do it, some 457s will.
  8. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,171 Messages
    1,290 Likes Received
    You can't really bring up this kind of stuff in a debate. It has to be asked as a question to the candidates. This is why I was so disappointed with the whole process. You can't tell me that there are no people out there, on both sides, that are not interested in hearing the Candidates speak on this. However, if the questions are screened and/or developed and asked by the moderator, then you have no ability to address this issue if not brought up as an issue or question to the candidates.

As I said earlier, it's the American People who really lost last night. Seems to be a trend in the last few weeks.
  9. BrAinPaiNt

59,658 Messages
    2,668 Likes Received
    You most definitely can bring that kind of thing up in a debate no matter the question. You noticed McCain brought up the ties to Obama and Freddie and Fannie without the question being about it. I think Obama also brought up some things not directed to the question asked.

That is not a valid excuse.

I honestly think that John McCain does not want to do it. I really think this is a campaign team thing and he is not comfortable with it. Maybe I am giving him too much credit but I think he is above it for the most part.
  10. Sasquatch

4,449 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    Because they talked about policy instead of casting aspersions on each others character? No wonder you're such an ardent fan of Gov. Palin.
  11. BrAinPaiNt

59,658 Messages
    2,668 Likes Received
    Well they still attacked each other and they often did not go into specifics of their policies but generalities.
    Actually the lack of going into specifics was the #1 and majority problem with the uncommitted voters in the CNN post debate show.
  12. canters

canters Active Member

1,778 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    I do agree that he does not want to do it. He remembers how the Bush team treated him in 2000, but he knows it will close the gap in the polls, and in the end, it will be happen.
  13. ABQCOWBOY

34,171 Messages
    1,290 Likes Received

Only within the context of the questions asked. You can't just go all Palin and say, "I'm gonna talk about Barry and his associations with XYZ." I mean, it's a subject that can not be covered easily and would take much follow up, which he would not get. McCain did refer to "Questionable Associations" and addressed Barry as "Obama and his cronies" at different points in the debate but no question was ever asked to the candidates that directly addressed this issue. That's my real disappointment here. Also, things like education, can anybody remember one question about it? Nothing.
  14. BrAinPaiNt

59,658 Messages
    2,668 Likes Received
    You could do just as you noted Palin did and say what you wanted at any point.

Heck they were not following the rules anyways as they were running over on their alloted answer times, they were interrupting each other, the were getting extra rebuttal time and the moderator was asking his own questions at times.

Heck one of them could have started talking about stripping down naked, turning out the lights and watching TV while eating dill pickles if they wanted.

Now sure they would pay the price for it.

But in the end again...Maybe I am giving McCain too much credit here but I think he is just a better man than some of his campaign and some here wants him to be. I think he thinks that stuff is wrong and disgusting. (the other attack stuff, not the naked pickle eating while watching tv...just wanted to clarify that).
  15. ABQCOWBOY

34,171 Messages
    1,290 Likes Received

There policies are essentially the same with just a few differences. The key differences in each Candidates positions are "Change" for Obama and "Trust" for McCain.

Nobody asked Obama how he's going to "Change" things. Nobody got into the question of why McCain can be trusted and Obama can not be. All that was discussed was the same stuff the Candidates have been Stumping on the Campaign since it started.

We lost because of this.
  16. ABQCOWBOY

34,171 Messages
    1,290 Likes Received

Perhaps. It's clear, the campaign does not want to do this but my point is not what McCain wants to do. My point is that the Moderator did not force this issue to the discussion. As I said earlier, the American people want these things discussed and addressed. Why retrace what has been talked over at every whistle stop and debate thus far as opposed to asking questions on issues that have not been addressed, such as this one?
  17. BrAinPaiNt

59,658 Messages
    2,668 Likes Received
    Because in this specific debate they had a sampling of questions and chose some from them. I would imagine a majority of the questions were similar to those asked in that debate.

As far as not going into specifics. I have no problem with complaining about that...but they are politicians and they are going to stick to their talking points...that is pretty much a given anymore.

Doesn't mean I like it, I guess I have just grown to expect it.:eek::
  18. canters

canters Active Member

1,778 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Just heard on Fox that McCain/Palin are on tonight's Hannity and Colmes talking about Ayers and Wright,,,so the above story is wrong,,,,maybe a plant from the pro-Barry media,,,eh Sasq?
  19. BrAinPaiNt

59,658 Messages
    2,668 Likes Received
    That interview or spot on the show was planned yesterday and probably sooner than that as Hannity was talking about it last night.

Does not mean they will not appear now, does not mean they will not talk about Ayer/Wright (hell I bet hannity will froth and drool over it even if they ask him not to talk about it)....however it does not mean they, the campaign, has not decided to stop doing this strategy in campaign speeches or in ads.
  20. Sasquatch

4,449 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    The only American people who want to discuss Ayers, Wright, and Rezko are the rightwing partisans on this board who think that it will salvage McCain's rapidly sinking campaign. Most people I know are concerned about economic issues and health care.