1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

McCain - Al Qaeda may try to tip election in Dems favor

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Sasquatch, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,525 Messages
    182 Likes Received
    McCain says al Qaeda might try to tip U.S. election

By Steve HollandFri Mar 14, 12:22 PM ET

Republican presidential candidate John McCain said on Friday he fears that al Qaeda or another extremist group might attempt spectacular attacks in Iraq to try to tilt the U.S. election against him.

McCain, at a town hall meeting in this Philadelphia suburb, was asked if he had concerns that anti-American militants in Iraq might ratchet up their activities in Iraq to try to increase casualties in September or October and tip the November election against him.

"Yes, I worry about it," McCain said. "And I know they pay attention because of the intercepts we have of their communications ... The hardest thing in warfare is to counter someone or a group of individuals who are willing to take their own lives in order to take others."

At his campaign event and subsequent news conference, McCain also criticized U.S. Senate Republicans for not joining him and 28 other senators in a one-year moratorium on controversial spending projects, known as earmarks that benefit specific cities or towns and that McCain considers wasteful.

The Arizona senator said it showed that his fellow Republicans were "not responding to the will of the people."

The Senate on Thursday night voted 71-29 against the moratorium. McCain and Democratic presidential candidates Barack Obama, an Illinois senator, and Hillary Clinton, a New York senator, all voted for the legislation.

McCain is a stalwart supporter of President George W. Bush's troop build-up in Iraq, while sharply critical of the way the war was managed until the increase, and his political fortunes have improved as casualties have declined in Iraq in recent months.

He disagrees strongly with campaign pledges by Clinton and Obama to withdraw U.S. troops speedily if either of them are elected in November.

McCain, soon to depart on a Middle East and Europe trip with two Senate colleagues, said recent deadly attacks in Iraq show that al Qaeda in Iraq is not defeated.

He said is concerned "they might be able to carry out some spectacular suicide attacks but we do have them on the run."

"We have achieved enormous success but they are still a very viable and tough enemy. There is no doubt in my mind that the surge is succeeding. Thank God for Gen. (David) Petraeus, one of the greatest generals in American history."
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    I would not be suprised to see increased attacks by Al Qaeda leading up to the US elections. They may be extreamist but they are not stupid. Al Qaeda helped change the election in Spain with their attack of passenger train.
  3. Sasquatch

4,525 Messages
    182 Likes Received
    If anything, you'd think they'd try to overturn our constitution so Bush can have another term.
  4. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,291 Messages
    4,609 Likes Received
    You owe me a new monitor.:laugh2:
  5. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    True Bush loves sending them to their god. However I think they like the ideal of the Dems and their retreat tactic which would play into the claims of victory over the paper tiger the Dems will create.
  6. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

9,072 Messages
    370 Likes Received
    Here comes more fear-based politics. Goodie goodie!
  7. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    fear-based politics? Only fear is that of doing nothing at all and turning tail that is not fear mongering that is reality. You think Al Qaeda is just going to stop? People claimed that Al Qaeda got stronger because we are fighting them, wait until they claim their victory over us and see the power they will achive.
  8. BrAinPaiNt

61,291 Messages
    4,609 Likes Received
    Fear mongering politics, along with one of the most spineless dem candidates in years, won W a second term.

Whether you believe in the iraq war totally with blind faith or hate it with blind faith...to say that politicians have not and will not use fear tactics is pretty incredible to me...which seems to be what you are indicating.
  9. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    I would say to act as if it is all peaches and cream is just a flat out lie. We saw what this group is capable of and there are other extreamist groups who are also capable. For years we turned a blind eye because it was happening somewhere else we had experts warn us that it was just a matter of time before we were attacked by these groups and they were right. Turning tail in my view would be a mistake and that is exactly what Obama is talking about if he plans on pulling all troops out within 6 months. As I said I don't think the top ranking members of Al Qaeda are blind or stupid and will try and have an impact on this countries elections. They did it in Spain there is no reason to think they will not attempt it here as well.
  10. BrAinPaiNt

61,291 Messages
    4,609 Likes Received
    I see you believe Obama.

Me...I don't.

What I mean is I don't think he would or possibly even can pull the troops out in 6 months.

No matter who is President we will have bases there and I just don't see us getting out before at least a year or more.

But that still does not take away that the right has used fear tactics a great deal in the last election and administrations term. I was always amused how we would all of a sudden have a heightened terror alert right after some news broke that put the admin in a negative light. They did that quite a bit until people caught on to it and they finally stopped doing it.

Now this is not only the right doing it...gore has done it as well for the left by using another topic that frankly bores me to death so I won't mention it...but I am sure you know what I mean.
  11. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    You may be right that Obama would not be able to but the fact that he continues to insist he will does not sit well with me.

As far as the right using fear, I think it is being blind and living in fairy tale land to act as if these threats are not real. Again we were told by experts of the reality and we choose to not do anything and we paid a big price for that. So I don't think bringing these issues up is to try and instill fear but to remind people that these are realities and I also do not think there is anything wrong with possing the question of who do you think will do a better job in protecting this nation and it's interest aginst these extreamist views.
  12. Sasquatch

4,525 Messages
    182 Likes Received
    Right, they're praying to Allah right now somewhere in the tribal region of Pakistan, watching the money and the recruits roll in hoping for a new installment of the Keystone Cops.
  13. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    recruits rolling in? Is this why they started using mentally ill people to carry out their attacks as some thug held the remote control to blow up the unknowing person? I also do not think of our men in the field as keystone cops they are making real progress while the turn tail and run crowd continues to whine.