1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

McCain defends position switch on offshore oil

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jun 24, 2008.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

66,706 Messages
    6,468 Likes Received
    By Steve Holland
    Tue Jun 24, 1:23 AM ET

SANTA BARBARA, California (Reuters) - Republican presidential candidate John McCain is defending his decision to switch position in favor of U.S. offshore oil drilling as he seeks votes in environmentally conscious California.

ADVERTISEMENT

In appearances in coastal Santa Barbara and inland Fresno, McCain said on Monday he believed he had made the right decision at a time of record-high gasoline prices but that it would be up to individual states to choose whether offshore drilling is right for them.

McCain was challenged on his position reversal at an unlikely event -- a fundraiser in his honor in Santa Barbara. A participant, Dan Secord, questioned whether he could compete in California against Democratic opponent Barack Obama by advocating drilling for oil off its shores.

"We're really kind of goosey here about oil spills, and we're goosey here about federal drilling and oil lands, which are abundant offshore," he told McCain.

McCain told Secord he believes in a state's right to make such decisions and pointed out that Texas and Louisiana had weathered hurricanes in 2005 that did not lead to oil spills at nearby offshore facilities.

"I think the environmental situation is today -- that we could probably do that," McCain said. "But I don't want to override the state of California."

The U.S. energy crisis has taken center stage in the presidential campaign as Americans, who are used to inexpensive fuel, struggle to pay for $4-a-gallon gasoline that has not only made the daily commute to work more expensive but also increased the price of goods and services on down the line.

McCain believes he has a chance to win Democratic-leaning California in the November election and is courting independent voters to help him.

But Democrats are trying to use his policy reversal on offshore drilling to portray him as a Republican who, if elected president, would simply continue the policies of unpopular President George W. Bush.

The issue is following McCain as he emphasizes environmental issues in California. On Monday, he held a news conference in Fresno with a couple of sleek two-seater, electric-powered cars parked behind him.

And on Tuesday, he is to take part in an environmental briefing at the Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History.

McCain says the United States should tap some 21 billion barrels of proven oil reserves that are left untouched because of a federal moratorium on offshore exploration and production.

(Editing by Patricia Zengerle)

(To read more about the U.S. political campaign, visit Reuters "Tales from the Trail: 2008" online at http://blogs.reuters.com/trail08/ )
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,039 Messages
    3,513 Likes Received
    Regardless if this is a shift in position or not he is right we must increase our domestic drilling and not rely as much on overseas oil. If the rising cost of fuel can't change a person’s mind nothing will
  3. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

13,163 Messages
    864 Likes Received
    Well, he flip-flopped positions on this.

But I can forgive him for at least flip-flopping to the correct stance on this issue.

:)
  4. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

13,163 Messages
    864 Likes Received

LOL... how can you possibly spin this as not a shift in position....?

Good God, he has you by the balls......

(and for the record, I totally support his flip-flop here)
  5. Doomsday101

78,039 Messages
    3,513 Likes Received
    So has the public in general. When polls once showed most people were not for opening these lands for drilling but now as prices have gone over 4 dollars a gallon those poll numbers have changed. Amazing that people will have a change of heart when it is hitting them hard in the pocket book isn't it? :) Sorry I left out. No he does not have me by the balls, I'm on record around here as saying I disagreed with him on this issue and still disagree with his position on ANWAR
  6. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

13,163 Messages
    864 Likes Received
    My biggest beef with oil prices isn't the $4/gallon for gas.

Its that we continue to pay $4/gallon for gas; money which goes to an area that has been problematic. I'd have no problem shelling out $4/gallon if it was for American gas. I've gotta believe we can at least match the price of gas now by opening up oil in shale; ANWR, and off the coasts.

It won't be totally independent; but less money going to the Middle East = the better.

And....it would stimulate OUR economy as opposed to the economy of, say, Saudi Arabia.
  7. Doomsday101

78,039 Messages
    3,513 Likes Received
    To an extent I agree but the 4 dollars a gallon is effecting many people and it is not just the raising cost of gas it is the fact that the price of gas affects every other product out there so people are paying more at the grocery store as the cost of shipping rises due to high fuel cost as well as other commodities.

I have a friend who is an electrician he has had to go up on his prices because it cost him more to go to people’s homes and while he hates doing that he has no choice. According to most polls the gas price is a major problem that is having a negitive effect on most Americans.
  8. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

61,083 Messages
    4,428 Likes Received
    Both candidates have flip flopped...and those that might think McCain has not, well has a great deal on a number of issues.

Sadly I wanted the old maverick McCain but what I seem to be getting is the vote along with bush 95% of the time McCain.

I don't want W part II in office.

At one time I was voting for McCain and that was it. Now I might just vote for Barr or just have to not vote yet again do to what I find lacking in both candidates like last time.
  9. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

13,163 Messages
    864 Likes Received
    Its gone up a lot - and quickly. I think that's more of a problem than anything else.

If this had been a gradual increase over the past couple of decades (which would have been more expensive for consumers), I doubt you'd be getting the same fuss as you see now.

People would complain; sure.

But as much as they do now? Meh.

If gas prices fell to $3 gallon, you'd hear a lot less complaining. And even then, a couple of dollars per gallon hike in prices in the past decade is a lot. But its a matter of relativity.....$3<$4. People would be fine with it now.

But if they tried to raise it from $1/gallon to $3/gallon, people would be outraged....

I suspect if it was more of a gradual raise, there'd be a lot less *****ing....

And it the money was going to American companies instead of Saudi companies; there'd be at least one less person *****ing...

:)
  10. Doomsday101

78,039 Messages
    3,513 Likes Received
    Chances are you are correct because people wages go up slightly as well to help offset these cost but when you’re getting nailed all at once it is hard for a family to overcome that hit to the pocket book. As for buying oil from others I'm not thrilled that we buy most of our oil from Canada when I know we have the ability in this country to drill