1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

McCain hints at Powell as VP

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Danny White, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I've been reading today that Powell's name is being mentioned now as a possible VP.

I don't think that'll happen, but it's a very smart move by McCain to talk about it. It takes a lot of wind out of Obama's announcement.

Biden's a pretty uninspiring choice and Powell, even though I'm not wild about him on some issues, would certainly be an exciting choice.
  2. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,785 Messages
    2,517 Likes Received
    I'd apply for a job as a campaign volunteer if that happens.
  3. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,220 Messages
    1,267 Likes Received
    i'd cry tears of hope if powell would make a run for it.
  4. Angus

Angus Active Member

5,064 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Good man.

:)
  5. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    That'll be a riot.
  6. Fender

Fender Member

43 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    From Chuck Todd's reporting Powell is not even supporting McCain. Chuck Todd does a weekly chat every week that everyone should look at.

http://chucktodd.newsvine.com/_news/2008/08/12/1743082-newsvine-qa-chuck-todd-on-us-politics

The convention/endorsement report was 100% wrong. I think Powell wants to endorse Obama but he doesn't want to see his endorsement viewed through the prism of race. But the fact is he's VERY upset with McCain these days over a number of foreign policy issues. So Powell's gut is pushing him to Obama; he has a long friendship with McCain and would have supported him over Bush in 2000 if he had his druthers

As for the Powell question, I think he's wrestling with one big issue regarding Obama, how does he endorse and have it NOT interpreted through the prism of race.
  7. MilesAustinforMVP

MilesAustinforMVP Benched

782 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Powell's name was also mentioned with Obama. I think these people throw his name out there to get good press for their candidate. Moreover, Powell said he would decide who he is going to endorse after the VP's have been chosen and after the Convention. I think its all a smoke screen IMO.
  8. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Let me guess...Wikipedia!
  9. Fender

Fender Member

43 Messages
    1 Likes Received

It's a chat transcript that Chuck Todd did. He does a chat every week. McCain team is just floating a bogus rumor.
  10. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,220 Messages
    1,267 Likes Received
    well i'm glad obamas camp is above all that, ya know?
  11. Fender

Fender Member

43 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    That quote came from Chuck Todd not the Obama camp. McCain will probably pick Romney and if so I think it will backfire. Many Americans are xenophobic and the more people hear about Mormonism the less likely they will vote for that ticket. McCain-Romney has to seperate themselves with polygamy and Warren Jeffs. I'm not saying it's fair but it comes with the territory (This is an election).
  12. MilesAustinforMVP

MilesAustinforMVP Benched

782 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think the best way for McCain to win the election is to select a woman for VP. He needs to tap into the angry post-menopausal female voting bloc.
  13. Fender

Fender Member

43 Messages
    1 Likes Received

This go around there really isn't a big name elected woman McCain could choose. He needs help with the economy and Meg Whitman has never even held an elected-office before.
  14. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    You're actually making a lot of sense in this thread.

I get the sneaking suspicion that you're a reincarnation of a previously-banned poster from this forum, but nevertheless I think you're reading this situation dead-on.

I suspect there's no truth to this rumor, and that McCain is floating it to take thunder away from Obama's announcement. If so, that's a brilliant move by McCain.

It's also interesting because I think that you're right that Powell is conflicted as to who he wants to support this year.

If McCain would have dropped a rumor like this before Obama made his pick, he risked Powell getting angry and actually flipping over to Obama and running with him, but with Obama having made his pick, there's no fear of that now.

I'm sure McCain would love it if Powell ran with him, but I think in the end it will be Pawlenty or possibly Romney.
  15. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    There's really only one choice.

[IMG]
  16. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Powell won't run for anything. his wife has been dead set against anything like this.
  17. Fender

Fender Member

43 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    To add on to the last comment his wife ruled out a presidential run in 96 in fear of his safety. I wouldn't be shocked if Powell doesn't endorse at all. McCain is a friend of his and if he would to endorse Obama because of foreign policy differences with McCain it would look racial as Chuck Todd said. It would probably be better to just sit out.
  18. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    With that, I agree.
  19. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Powell will not be McCain's VP, as some have stated, his wife doesn't want him too.

Besides, I think it would be a huge mistake as Powell is a better Presidential Candidate than Vice President.
  20. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    And if he is the person I am thinking about who was banned, he should have never been banned in the first place.

There are some people on here who have said and done far worse than him/her.