1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

McCain, Obama in heated exchange over Iraq

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Doomsday101, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,527 Messages
    3,825 Likes Received
    (CNN) -- Sens. John McCain and Barack Obama engaged in a pointed exchange over al Qaeda in Iraq on Wednesday.

McCain questioned whether Obama was aware of the al Qaeda base. Obama's response was: "There was no such thing as al Qaeda in Iraq until George Bush and John McCain decided to invade Iraq."

McCain was in Tyler, Texas, and Obama was in Columbus, Ohio.

"I understand that Sen. Obama said that if al Qaeda established a base in Iraq that he would send troops back in militarily. Al Qaeda already has a base in Iraq. It's called al Qaeda in Iraq," McCain said.

"It's a remarkable statement to say that you would send troops back to a place where al Qaeda has established a base -- where they have already established a base."

McCain's comments come in response to remarks Obama made Tuesday night in a debate with Sen. Hillary Clinton. He was asked if the president would have to right to go back into Iraq in order to suppress an insurrection after downsizing the U.S. troop presence. Watch what Clinton and Obama said about the war ยป

"I always reserve the right for the president ... to make sure that we are looking out for American interests," Obama said. "And if al Qaeda is forming a base in Iraq, then we will have to act in a way that secures the American homeland and our interests abroad."

In a statement sent out by McCain's press office Wednesday said, "Is Sen. Obama unaware that al Qaeda is still present in Iraq, that our forces are successfully fighting them every day, and that his Iraq policy of withdrawal would embolden al Qaeda and weaken our security?"

Obama responded to the latest attacks from McCain, saying his comments were taken out of context.

Obama said the question he was asked during the debate was a "big hypothetical."

"I said, 'Well, I would always reserve the right to go in and strike against al Qaeda if they were in Iraq,' so you know, this is how politics works," Obama said at a rally in Columbus.

"McCain thought that he could make a clever point by saying ,'Well let me give you some news Barack, al Qaeda is in Iraq,' like I wasn't reading the papers, like I didn't know what was going on."

"I said, 'Well first of all, I do know that al Qaeda is in Iraq. That's why I've said we should continue to strike al Qaeda targets. But I have some news for John McCain, and that is that there was no such thing as al Qaeda in Iraq until George Bush and John McCain decided to invade Iraq."

Obama continued to blast Bush and McCain, saying, "John McCain may like to say he wants to follow Osama bin Laden to the gates of hell, but so far all he's done is follow George Bush into a misguided war in Iraq."

McCain in his statement said "the Democratic presidential contenders deny progress and see only gloom and doom. Where is the audacity of hope when it comes to backing the success of our troops all the way to victory in Iraq? What we heard last night was the timidity of despair."

The latest exchange comes as a new poll suggests McCain would pose a tough match for the eventual Democratic nominee.

Obama is the front-runner for the Democratic nomination. Clinton trails by 97 delegates, but 370 delegates are up for grabs next Tuesday.

According to a Los Angeles Times/Bloomberg poll, McCain would be in tight races with either of the remaining Democratic presidential candidates.

McCain is statistically tied with Obama, 44 percent to 42 percent, and ahead of Clinton by 6 points, 46 percent to 40 percent.

The poll's margin of error was plus-or-minus 3 percentage points.

The poll also showed McCain with a 61 percent approval rating, a number higher than both Clinton's and Obama's in past polls.

The Arizona senator holds a clear advantage on dealing with the war in Iraq, according to the poll, and holds a 9 point advantage on economic issues over Obama, despite having acknowledged that area is not his expertise.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/02/27/mccain.obama.iraq/index.html
  2. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    :laugh2:

That's why we don't need McCain.

And the question WAS a Big-Hypothetical...it was asked of Clinton first and even she said as they tried to pin her down...come on this is a big hypothetical question...as in you can play that game all day.

McCain thought he was going to get a hit in on Obama and all it did was backfire with Obama reminding people... McCain is just a continuation of thinking and acting the way Bush does.

Keep tying yourself to the anchor that is Bush, McCain. :laugh2:
  3. Jon88

Jon88 Benched

7,665 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Pulling out then going back in? That makes sense.

He'll find out how politics works when he gets his *** handed to him.
  4. Doomsday101

78,527 Messages
    3,825 Likes Received
    Big-Hypothetical? You got to be kidding, if US pulls out al Qaeda and Iran will strengthen their grip on Iraq they will claim their victory and Iraq will be in a world of hurt. I'm all for dramatically reducing the combat troops in Iraq but I think the Gen on the ground are going about this in the right way as they pull units from Iraq they will wait and see the results before moving forward with more troops leaving the area. I guess I should expect the put the tail between the legs and run mindset from bleeding heart liberals. If you do a massive pull out only to turn around and have to go right back the cost of that would be even greater not to mention no trust what so ever from the Iraqi people who we leave behind to face these thugs.
  5. heavyg

heavyg Active Member

1,801 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    You mean we can't just up and leave and everything there won't be just huncky dory with perfect democratic votes. There is no way another dictator would be allowed to take over Iraq :rolleyes:
  6. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    It's funny that you think this "backfired" on McCain.

I think he succeeded in what he was trying to accomplish... making Obama look uninformed and ill prepared to lead.
  7. Bonecrusher#31

Bonecrusher#31 Active Member

1,818 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    The old one got owned...:fogeys:
  8. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,286 Messages
    4,605 Likes Received
    I disagree. I think he fired a shot and it missed the target.
  9. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    You may be right.

We have about 8 months of just this kind of exchange ahead of us, so it'll be interesting to see how it plays out between now and the election.

This was certainly just the first volley.

I have a feeling that Obama is going to make it a "war versus no war" campaign and McCain will make it "experience and steady leadership versus naivety and inexperience."

It's very curious since people (in general) are not wild about the war, but at the same time will want a President who they feel will be capable of keeping them safe.

It's a fine line that both candidates will be walking here.
  10. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,286 Messages
    4,605 Likes Received
    It will be interesting to watch the debates because I think Obama will bring out McCains weakness by using his own strength.

By that I mean we all know McCain has a temper.

However through almost all of the debates that Obama has been cool a cucumber no matter what they have thrown at him.

I can just see a debate where something is happening and Obama remains cool and calm which makes McCain even madder.

McCain's handlers will really need to keep a check on that.
  11. heavyg

heavyg Active Member

1,801 Messages
    10 Likes Received

That is for sure. I have heard on FoxNews about McCain screaming at his assistants just moments before going on camera then being all smiles once the camera is on. But sometimes you need someone that is a little hot under the collar....lol
  12. Doomsday101

78,527 Messages
    3,825 Likes Received
    I agree that matters but for me it is always about what is being said not how you say it. These are people not machines, I'd be concerned with a person who did not possess a wide range of emotions including a temper. Having a temper does not make one rash.
  13. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    If you actually watched the exchange...you would see that it was big hypothetical question...like I said Clinton was asked it first and even said come on Tim that's all Hypothetical we could play that game all day.

I'm pretty sure the question was linked to what would you do if the Iraq government said well if you are going to pull out just get out now what would you do and Obama and Clinton said If the Iraq government wants us out it is their country and we would abide by their wishes.

THATS
    when Russert said well what if Al-qaeda comes back and builds bases would you go back in and Obama said I as any President reserves the right to go back anywhere IF needed.

The Big Hypothetical was the Iraq government ASKING us to leave immediately.

It did backfire as Obama linked McCain to Bush and that's good anytime...again if you watched the exchange Obama never said Al-Qeada wasn't in Iraq in fact he's been calling for more strikes against them there.

This just reminds me of the Obama wants to bomb Pakistan thing.

That's BS and even Clinton tried to call him on it and was wrong.

What he said was that if he found a target like bin-Laden in Pakistan he wasn't going to worry about whether Pakistan or Mussarif were OK with him bombing that target or not he would just go ahead and do it so the target couldn't get away...just like the Bush Administration just did recently.

Basically people need to get the whole story.
  14. Doomsday101

78,527 Messages
    3,825 Likes Received
    Yes I did watch it and Hillary was asked the question 1st and said that was a hypothetical and as the questioner said but it is a real possibility. Yes in ways it is somewhat hypothetical I hate to tell but then all unknowns are hypothetical but some are much more real than others and this is a very real threat should the US turn tail and leave. Fact is we know Al-Qaeda is there so that is not hypothetical that is fact. We know Iran has been involved in these attacks so that is not a hypothetical. It is very real if we walk away Iraq will be very much in trouble and the US will either look the other way or return at even a greater cost. Only major hypothetical is how fast do Obama and or Hillary blame others when they screw up and turn tail and run only to see the fallout. As for the whole story as I saw I watched the debate I'm not taking any of this as second hand news.
  15. Jon88

Jon88 Benched

7,665 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It hit the target but it bounced off and hit something else.
  16. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received

Well I figured after you said the second quote which is from the Did anyone watch the Democtratic Debate thread...that you didn't watch the whole thing...and might have missed the exchange I was talking about.
  17. Doomsday101

78,527 Messages
    3,825 Likes Received
    I saw the debate I saw the question and yes while it is hypothetical what you seem to be missing is the hypothetical is not farfetched. Al-Qaeda is an Iraq our men and the Iraqi are fighting them now, Iran has been sending in weapons they have confiscated many these are fact and if the US leaves before the job is done these groups are not just going to pick up and leave. We will also lose all trust with the Iraq people as they will be left behind to deal with death squads for helping the US and should we be forced to return you can forget any help as our word as a nation will have no meaning what so ever. Progress is being made there even lately political progress is being made and to walk away now is to lose everything our men have died and fought for.