1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

McCain Pulling Out of Michigan

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by NinePointOh, Oct 2, 2008.

1. NinePointOh

NinePointOh Active Member

1,538 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    October 02, 2008
    Categories: Michigan McCain pulling out of Michigan

John McCain is pulling out of Michigan, according to two Republicans, a stunning move a month away from Election Day that indicates the difficulty Republicans are having in finding blue states to put in play.

McCain will go off TV in Michigan, stop dropping mail there and send most of his staff to more competitive states, including Wisconsin, Ohio and Florida. Wisconsin went for Kerry in 2004, Ohio and Florida for Bush.

McCain's campaign didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.

Republicans had been bullish on Michigan, hopeful that McCain's past success in the state in the 2000 primary combined with voter dissatisfaction with Democratic Gov. Jennifer Granholm and skepticism among blue-collar voters about Barack Obama could make it competitive.

McCain and his running mate Sarah Palin spent the night after the GOP convention at a large rally in Macomb County, just outside Detroit. The two returned later last month for another sizable event in Grand Rapids.

But recent polls there have shown Obama extending what had been a small lead, with the economic crisis damaging an already sagging GOP brand in a state whose economy is in tatters.

A McCain event planned for next week in Plymouth, Michiigan, has been canceled.

By Jonathan Martin 01:44 PM

http://www.politico.com/blogs/jonathanmartin/1008/McCain_pulling_out_of_Michigan.html?showall
  2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,451 Messages
    131 Likes Received
  3. icyhot

icyhot Member

395 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Ha Ha a picture worth a thousand words
  4. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,344 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Obviously not a great sign for him.

Reality is, though, that he only needs to hang onto the Bush states. Why pour money into a state that you don't think you can win when you could focus that money and time on a state you HAVE to win?
  5. Sasquatch

4,451 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    Did he learn that from Rudy Giuliani's playbook?
  6. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received

Exactly Danny.

All he needs to do is focus on the Bush states and he's in. Love how the left users here keep posting this stuff up like... LOOKIE LOOKIE HE'S GONNA LOSE.

Hold the Bush states and its over.

Next !!!
  7. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,344 Messages
    0 Likes Received

You really think this is new? Focusing on some states and writing off others?

I don't think you're really that naive... are you?

Rudy's problem was that he wrote off the early primary and caucus states and basically made himself irrelevant for the first month of the primary schedule... that put him in a momentum tailspin that doomed his campaign.

This is completely different. You see, Michigan voters come to the polls on November 4... just like everyone else.
  8. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,367 Messages
    4,321 Likes Received
    Makes sense to me. I believe Obama went dark in Alaska...for obvious reasons.

I realize Texas is considered a republican state, but I swear I don't see many presidential ads. I could be ignoring them seeing as I watch most shows off my DVR.
  9. Sasquatch

4,451 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    Just poking fun. Be that as it may, as was the case with Rudy, it will appear as weakness especially in light of recent events and McCain's plunging poll numbers.

Life isn't fair, I suppose. ;)
  10. NinePointOh

NinePointOh Active Member

1,538 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    He won't hold all of the Bush states. That would mean winning in Virginia, Ohio, Iowa, Nevada, Colorado, and New Mexico. He's behind in all of those states, some of them -- such as Iowa and New Mexico -- by very large margins.

McCain was counting on Michigan to be competitive, which is why he sunk so much money into it early on and took multiple trips there with Palin since the conventions. Michigan alone isn't a nail in the coffin, but giving up on 17 electoral votes he thought he could win significantly limits his possible scenarios to get 270. He'd pretty much have to win every other state that's still considered a battleground.
  11. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
  12. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He really just needs to win PA...if he does, game over for Obama

McCain is going to win Fl and Ohio
  13. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    he's going to win Ohio, Virginia and Nevada and I still think he'll probably win Iowa

PA is the make or break state for both guys...whoever wins that state is probably goign to win the election
  14. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

8,853 Messages
    105 Likes Received
    Not to change the subject too much, but Rasmussen had a poll out for 9/29 for Texas.

Obama down 9. Single digits in Texas. No chance he'll win, but the fact that Obama is as close in Texas as McCain is in PA, well, should tell you something.
  15. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,527 Messages
    471 Likes Received
    Fixed.
  16. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Michigan has voted democrat because of the UAW and Dearbornistan.
    I lived in west Michigan(and loved it...miss my friends) for 5 years.
    I can't understand why they would vote democrat after their democratic governor raised taxes and destroyed their economy.
  17. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    and the wonderful record of the now ex-mayor of Detroit

How can people in Michigan ignore all this?
  18. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received

Simple.
    Liberalism is a mental disorder
  19. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :laugh2: :lmao:
  20. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

23,255 Messages
    514 Likes Received

I thought Ohio is make or break state. Didnt they say that the Repubs that have won Ohio have won Presidency. When they didnt win Ohio then they lost presidency.

I dont know how far back that goes. I think they mentioned back to Reagan days.