1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

McCain says the US is succeeding in Iraq

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Jon88, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Jon88

Jon88 Benched

7,665 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    McCain says US succeeding in Iraq
    By LIZ SIDOTI,
    Associated Press Writer
    26 minutes ago

CHULA VISTA, Calif. - Fresh off his eighth Iraq visit, Sen. John McCain declared Monday that "we are succeeding" and said he wouldn't change course — even as the U.S. death toll rose to 4,000 and the war entered its sixth year.

To underscore his view of the stakes in Iraq, the certain Republican presidential nominee twice referenced a recent audio tape from Osama bin Laden in which the al-Qaida leader urged followers to join the al-Qaida fight in Iraq and called the country "the greatest opportunity and the biggest task."

"For the first time, I have seen Osama bin Laden and General (David) Petraeus in agreement, and, that is, a central battleground in the battle against al-Qaida is in Iraq today. And that's what bin Laden was saying and that's what General Petraeus is saying and that's what I'm saying, my friends," McCain said.

"And my Democrat opponents who want to pull out of Iraq refuse to understand what's being said and what's happening — and that is the central battleground is Iraq in this struggle against radical Islamic extremism," he added. McCain also said Democratic rivals Barack Obama and Hillary Rodham Clinton were naive and "dead wrong" to want to withdraw troops.

"We're succeeding. I don't care what anybody says. I've seen the facts on the ground," the Arizona senator insisted a day after a roadside bomb in Baghdad killed four U.S. soldiers and rockets pounded the U.S.-protected Green Zone there, and a wave of attacks left at least 61 Iraqis dead nationwide. The events transpired as bin Laden called on the people of Syria, Lebanon, Jordan and Saudi Arabia to "help in support of their mujahedeen brothers in Iraq, which is the greatest opportunity and the biggest task."

Despite all that, McCain told reporters: "I don't think I would change the strategy now unless General Petraeus recommended it. I think he's trusted by the American people, the president and by me. And General Petraeus again showed me facts on the ground where the surge is succeeding."

Democrats took issue with his remarks and cast his candidacy as a repeat of President Bush's tenure.

"As Americans mark another somber milestone in the war in Iraq, John McCain continues his pattern of parroting the Bush administration's misleading rhetoric on the war," Democratic Party spokeswoman Karen Finney said in a statement.

In the midst of a western fundraising swing after a week abroad, including visits to Iraq, the Middle East and Europe, the Arizona senator didn't mention the grim casualty milestone or the last weeks fifth anniversary of the conflict as he spoke to veterans and others at a stuffy Veterans of Foreign Wars building during a town-hall style campaign event outside of San Diego.

"I've commented on hundreds of occasions of the sacrifice the great and brave young Americans have made in Iraq and elsewhere in the world in the struggle against radical Islamic extremism," McCain told reporters afterward. He said a bracelet he always wears with the name of Matthew Stanley, who was killed in Iraq, is a symbol not just of his sacrifice but also of Stanley's 4,000 fallen comrades.

"My thoughts and my prayers go out to those families every day," McCain added.

Also left unsaid during the event was the fact that 2007 was the war's deadliest year with 901 American troop deaths. That was when Bush took McCain's advice and sent thousands more U.S. troops to Iraq to quell violence in Baghdad. McCain long had called for such a strategy shift, and he effectively linked his presidential candidacy to the war last year even as public support for it plummeted.

"I'm not painting to you the most rosy scenario but I am telling you, compared to a year ago, before we started this surge, and with this great general, one of the great generals in American history, General David Petraeus, that we are succeeding in Iraq," McCain told his audience.

Asked later if he was offering the war-weary public any different path forward in Iraq than Bush, McCain reached back to the past.

"I'm offering them the record of having objected strenuously to a failed strategy for nearly four years. That I argued against and fought against and said that the secretary of defense of my own party, and my own president, I had no confidence in. That's how far I went in advocating the new strategy that is succeeding," McCain told reporters.
  2. SuspectCorner

SuspectCorner Bromo

7,737 Messages
    116 Likes Received
    :mummy: :bang3: :jackpot: :bomb: :fogeys: :geezer: :mummy: :bang3: :fogeys:
  3. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    McCain saying we're succeeding in Iraq is precisely why nobody with a lick of intelligence should vote for him...
  4. hank2k

hank2k Member

516 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    And Dick Cheney says the insurgency is in its last throes.

Oh sorry ,that was a 2005 quote:bang2: .
  5. silverbear

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Here's more on the "success" in Iraq:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/2008032...80326084806;_ylt=Ap7M4RUtUa9bwxZQeoj6DwYUewgF

Exactly as I predicted, the "surge" led to a brief lull in the hostilities, then an outbreak of renewed violence outside of Baghdad (where the "surge" was almost exclusively focused)... so we throw troops at one problem area, it cools down for a while, then the fire erupts elsewhere...

That "surge" has done exactly NOTHING to bring Iraq closer to peace... and McCain's claims that we're "succeeding" over there are clearly laughable... the only "success" we find is at the point of a gun, and as soon as the guns move to other areas, the violence returns...

Iraq exists only because we're propping it up at the point of a gun, and it will continue to exist as we know it only so long as we remain there, propping it up by force...

So either we play strongman in Iraq for decades to come, or we get out, and watch it disintegrate into all-out civil war... that's the case now, and it will be the case ten years from now, if we're so profoundly STUPID as to still be there...
  6. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,855 Messages
    1,695 Likes Received
    As usual the fanatics of ignoring factual evidence post their drivel. The Surge is working, even a lot of Dems admit it. But of course Silver and company know more then anyone else so it could not be true.
  7. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,066 Messages
    805 Likes Received
    McCain is right ...... no matter how badly some in here want us to fail.
  8. silverbear

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If I'm on ignore, how do you have the first clue what I'm saying??

ROTFLMAO...
  9. silverbear

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    More right wing BS-- nobody in here WANTS us to fail... but failing we are, no matter how your heroes lie to you that it's not so... we are no closer to having a stable, democratic Iraq than we were before we invaded them...

And it pisses me off, because we shouldn't be in this mess in the first place... it was nothing but a total failure of our leadership that got us to where we are now... and the guys who gave us that total failure of leadership are telling us that we ought to let them continue screwing things up??

Yeah, that'll happen...

John McCain is completely full of crap, to tell us that things are going well in Iraq... that, and his reliance on the failed Republican economic policies, are the only reasons I can't even contemplate voting for the man...
  10. zrinkill

33,066 Messages
    805 Likes Received
    [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif] McHenry: Surge is working

[/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]BY JENNIFER MENSTER[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]RECORD STAFF WRITER[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Monday, March 24, 2008[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]

[/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]BAGHDAD, Iraq - Congressman Patrick McHenry ate lunch with North Carolina soldiers stationed in Iraq on Saturday. McHenry was one of four members of Congress who went to Iraq over Easter weekend.[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The lunch conversation was as light as hopes that Carolina (Tar Heels) wins the NCAA basketball tournament to how surprisingly good the food is. McHenry also talked to the soldiers about the morale in Iraq and their opinions on how the war is going.[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]“I came here with a deep understanding of the sacrifices troops are making, that Americans are making,” said McHenry (R-N.C.). “The men and women serving the country show a deep commitment and are working hard to make progress. The surge appears to be working.”[/FONT][/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]McHenry and fellow Congressmen Jim Marshall (D-Ga.), Chris Shays (R-Conn.) and Ted Poe (R-Texas) arrived in Iraq early Saturday. They toured the country, talked to soldiers and meet with U.S. and Iraqi leaders. McHenry took some time to talk to media representatives Saturday.[/FONT][/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]McHenry said one of the reasons he wanted to visit Iraq was to talk to leaders one-on-one. He wanted to ask the questions to make sure no Americans die in vain, and after one day in the country, McHenry seemed to be pleased with what he learned.[/FONT][/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]McHenry says he saw substantial changes in Iraq based on reports he’s read in the past. This was the congressman’s first trip to Iraq. McHenry said roads are open to market areas that were closed two years ago.[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Gen. David Petraeus supplied the congressmen with statistics and data that prove the troop surge is working. McHenry says attacks are down compared to a year ago and the loss of life decreased substantially. However, three soldiers were killed in Iraq on Saturday, and the death toll topped 4,000 American lives lost since the war started five years ago.[/FONT][/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]“It saddens me (to hear that),” McHenry said. “My heart goes out to families in North Carolina and families that have lost life here. It saddens me. However, I get assurance seeing the plan, and I believe lives are not lost in vain.”[/FONT][/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]McHenry says his focus concerning the Iraq war is seeing Iraqis take back their country. He said that should be the focus of all Americans. McHenry said he truly believes Iraqis want their country back. He talked to members of parliament about the importance of elections (one is scheduled for Nov.[/FONT][/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif] 1). He says the Iraqi government wants its people to feel safe in their neighborhoods. McHenry also said the government is making strives to improve the look and growth of cities, especially Baghdad.[/FONT][/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]McHenry acknowledged there are struggles and challenges ahead, especially concerning security, but he believes the troop surge is working and the plan in place will achieve the goal of making Iraq a safe and better place. McHenry also said he believes troop levels will decrease as things in Iraq progress forward.[/FONT][/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]“And that is very positive,” he said. “It’s been a long day, but a very productive one.”[/FONT][/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]McHenry could not elaborate on the rest of his trip for security reasons. His press office asked any information about McHenry’s trip not be publicized at least until Monday because of safety concerns.[/FONT][/FONT]

http://www.shelbystar.com/news/mchenry_29755___article.html/iraq_desert.html

Some here are gonna hate this good news.

11. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

13,163 Messages
    864 Likes Received
    The surge seems to be working.

But the reality of it is: this only becomes a success if the Iraqi people make democracy work for them.

If not, this has been a disaster.

We ousted Saddam. We could have left. But we are sticking around to nation build. I suppose this gets into the idea of whether or not you believe in the Just War Theory. But the reality of it is, the only way this becomes worth the billions of dollars we have spent on this after Saddam's regime removal is if Democracy in Iraq sustains itself.

Hopefully it does.
  12. Big Dakota

Big Dakota New Member

11,875 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The senile old fool doesn't know if he's foot or horseback.:laugh2:
  13. heavyg

heavyg Active Member

1,801 Messages
    10 Likes Received

Thats the problem. The surge worked. We ousted Saddam. Now it is up to the Iraqi people to do something about it. Well they arn't. It seems they are dragging their feet. They should be alot further along than they are in getting their government implimented. I am a supporter of this war in Iraq. But at some point we are going to have to tell them to crap or get off the pot.
  14. Bach

Bach Benched

7,645 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    But many do want the public to think we are failing.
  15. iceberg

iceberg detoxed...part 2 Zone Supporter

28,390 Messages
    1,417 Likes Received
    this is the balanced viewpoint i wish more people would realize. it seems people *do* want us to fail so they can be right and bush sucks. but the fact of the matter is that winning or losing is a far off point in the future but there's those around thinking we've lost.

hell, back on the other politicalzone sassy was swearing up and down we'd lost then too.

but we're still at it and we're making headway.
  16. Jon88

Jon88 Benched

7,665 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Bush lied though.

:laugh2:
  17. hank2k

hank2k Member

516 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The "surge" did indeed lower attacks against us and fatalities but it isnt because of more troops. We have adopted a policy of paying off various militia (with money and arms) , essentially bribing the same insurgents who were trying to kill our troops a year ago. These militia have accepeted our cash , restocked their weapons supplies and laid low for their chance, which now appears to be coming back to bite us in the....
  18. iceberg

iceberg detoxed...part 2 Zone Supporter

28,390 Messages
    1,417 Likes Received
    um....yea.
  19. zrinkill

33,066 Messages
    805 Likes Received
    Wow ...... you really think anyone is gonna believe something you just made up?
  20. hank2k

hank2k Member

516 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Ooops...looks like its true!

Sunni militia strike could derail US strategy against al-Qaida
    • Maggie O'Kane and Ian Black
    • The Guardian, Friday March 21 2008
    • Article history
    About this article
    Close
    This article appeared in the Guardian on Friday March 21 2008 on p31 of the International section. It was last updated at 01:04 on March 21 2008.

Link to this video

The success of the US "surge" strategy in Iraq may be under threat as Sunni militia employed by the US to fight al-Qaida are warning of a national strike because they are not being paid regularly.
    Leading members of the 80,000-strong Sahwa, or awakening, councils have said they will stop fighting unless payment of their $10 a day (£5) wage is resumed. The fighters are accusing the US military of using them to clear al-Qaida militants from dangerous areas and then abandoning them.