1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

McCain takes on Global Warming

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by ConcordCowboy, May 12, 2008.

1. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Because you can NEVER have too many Global Warming Threads and I agree with him...well on the bolded part anyway. :D

McCain takes on global warming

Urges free-market principles to reduce greenhouse emissions

[IMG]

PHOENIX - Republican John McCain, reaching out to both independents and green-minded social conservatives, argues that global warming is undeniable and the country must take steps to bring it under control while adhering to free-market principles.

In remarks prepared for delivery Monday at a Portland, Ore., wind turbine manufacturer, the presidential contender says expanded nuclear power must be considered to reduce carbon-fuel emissions. He also sets a goal that by 2050, the country will reduce carbon emissions to a level 60 percent below that emitted in 1990.

"For all of the last century, the profit motive basically led in one direction — toward machines, methods and industries that used oil and gas," said McCain.

"Enormous good came from that industrial growth, and we are all the beneficiaries of the national prosperity it built. But there were costs we weren't counting, and often hardly noticed. And these terrible costs have added up now, in the atmosphere, in the oceans and all across the natural world."

The Arizona senator promised to challenge China and India, two economic rivals who are fueling their challenge to U.S. market supremacy with heavily polluting fuels such as coal, gas and oil.

"For all of its historical disregard of environmental standards, it cannot have escaped the attention of the Chinese regime that China's skies are dangerously polluted, its beautiful rivers are dying, its grasslands vanishing, its coastlines receding and its own glaciers melting," said McCain.

He also took a swipe at President Bush, who balked at the beginning of its term at signing the Kyoto global warming protocols. McCain said he would return to the negotiating table.

"I will not shirk the mantle of leadership that the United States bears. I will not permit eight long years to pass without serious action on serious challenges. I will not accept the same dead-end of failed diplomacy that claimed Kyoto. The United States will lead and will lead with a different approach — an approach that speaks to the interests and obligations of every nation," he said.

The language highlighted the political stakes for McCain, his party's presumed nominee. His visit to Oregon came just days after the two leading Democratic contenders, Sens. Barack Obama of Illinois and Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York, campaigned in the state.

Oregon is among the expected general election battlegrounds, and its Columbia and Hood rivers are playgrounds for many outdoorsmen and environmentalists.

Global warming also stands with abortion rights and an array of social causes as important issues to the evangelicals and Christian conservatives whom McCain hopes will bolster his political base this fall.

McCain has long expressed a belief in global warming, arguing that even if he is wrong, acting as if the planet's temperature were increasing would only benefit the environment if scientists subsequently proved he was mistaken.

McCain traveled to the Pacific Northwest from Arizona, where he and his family spent Mother's Day.

In his speech, he highlighted his personal experiences viewing evidence of glacial recession. He also cited evidence of a shift in animal migration patterns.

"You would think that if the polar bears, walruses, and sea birds have the good sense to respond to new conditions and new dangers, then humanity can respond as well," he said.

McCain's major solution is to implement a cap-and-trade program on carbon-fuel emissions, like a similar program in the Clean Air Act that was used to reduce sulfur dioxide emissions that triggered acid rain.

Industries would be given emission targets, and those coming in under their limit could sell their surplus polluting capacity to companies unable to meet their target.

McCain wants the country to return to 2005 emission levels by 2012; 1990 levels by 2020; and to a level sixty percent below that by 2050.

"As never before, the market would reward any person or company that seeks to invent, improve, or acquire alternatives to carbon-based energy," he said. "More likely, however, there will be some companies that need extra emissions rights, and they will be able to buy them. The system to meet these targets and timetables will give these companies extra time to adapt — and that is good economic policy."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24576479/
  2. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

27,963 Messages
    989 Likes Received
    well i guess that should end debate.

now, would you say something like this because all the whiners and complainers need a verbal pacifier, or does he really believe it?

in the end being more environmentally conscious is a good thing. but let's not think that we're the sole reason the world is a bit warmer now. there are COUNTLESS reasons our atmosphere has changed over a few billion years and to think we're the sole cause of change now is just a self-serving beating post for the radicals on the left with nothing else to whine about today in order to say how evil mankind is.
  3. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    McCain's "solution" of cap-and-trade is a disaster.

The guy is making it more and more difficult for me to think about voting for him.
  4. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

74,861 Messages
    1,507 Likes Received
    I can't say I'm as sure as McCain is on this issue but I have no problem with any of the candidates trying to lower emissions and putting in place ideals to help lower our pollution levels but to do so without devastating business or causing many to lose their jobs.

I would also say if we are going to get involved with a worldwide treaty such as the Kyoto treaty then it must be fair across the board and currently the Kyoto treaty is not.
  5. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    And this is bad how?

:D
  6. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,359 Messages
    1,348 Likes Received
    :signmast:

I am not at all sold on Global Warming, but I do want to see more concentrated efforts to achieve better use of energy and natural resources.

I personally like a lot of the Green Movement. I especially like it in the construction industry where I work. Cleaner air and water is not a bad thing. I do admit I don't want it to hurt industry.
  7. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,168 Messages
    2,754 Likes Received
    The sacrifice needs to be equal across the board for all countries in helping confront these issues.

Any country allowed to do as they please will only make it harder on the rest.

I have a hard time believing that some companies in other countries are going to bend over backwards to meet our standards.
  8. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    S. 2191 is the Senate bill that McCain has championed that provides the framework for his cap-and-trade plan.

9. poke

poke the older I get the better I was

2,573 Messages
    4 Likes Received
  10. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,658 Messages
    2,675 Likes Received
    People can argue till their face turns blue like violet in Willy Wonka. But it is real. Almost everyone, including the current (and in McCain's case) future admin. And when the republican president admits it is real...that should tell you something. Cause that means he has gone out of his way to deny it until finally it just can not be ignored any longer.

Problems is the degree of it, how much at fault are we, what are we to do about it and how serious is it.

Could be something that is very serious, could just be as dangerous as a cat fart (or cow lol), we could be a major or minor cause of it, do we need to spend untold fortunes to fix it or not....those IMO are the things that should be argued about and most times are.

Problem I seem to have with these global warming threads is...it would seem are so partisian on many cases that they just take whatever a specific party line tells them to take. Like they are reading it out of Al Gore's playbook or a Right spin machines play book.
  11. iceberg

27,963 Messages
    989 Likes Received
  12. BrAinPaiNt

59,658 Messages
    2,675 Likes Received
  13. iceberg

27,963 Messages
    989 Likes Received
    i've yet to see anyone say "mankind didn't do it, we're not to blame, nothing needs to be done..."

from the anti GW crowd i usually see "can't say for sure it's mankind but regardless we do need to do more for our environment".

and the fanatical left won't have it cause we need to blame mankind all the time.

gw is real. show me anyone who's ever aruged about it to say it's not. the ones who wind up arguing are the ones whos say it could be natural for the earth to do this. i usually see that crowd then say "but it's a good idea to pay attention to the environment regardless.

so mccain says it's real. why? it is. but that doesn't mean mankind is the sole / root cause of it. that's where the arguing usually takes place. then in the last month or so sunspot activity is predicting a cooling trend.

if and when that does become a reality, will the knee jerking stop or will we all need to buy parkas and fight that evil cooling?
  14. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

24,850 Messages
    568 Likes Received
    Interestingly one of the huge problems I have with these threads is that whenever posters point to the dominant scientific opinion on the topic, it immediately brings the claims of toting the "Al Gore" line. When folks stop confusing the Al Gore playbook with say, the American Association for the Advancement of Science playbook, we'll be able to have a much more intelligent conversation on the topic.
  15. iceberg

27,963 Messages
    989 Likes Received
    can you give me a real world example of those two sides so i can better understand your meaning? just don't want to assume where you're coming from.
  16. BrAinPaiNt

59,658 Messages
    2,675 Likes Received
    Sadly I think it is beyond that now.

I think too many people are so entrenched in their sides of this argument that they will not budge at all.
  17. iceberg

27,963 Messages
    989 Likes Received
    about the only thing i won't "budge" on is mankind is the sole reason for this. that alone makes no sense to me.

do we have an effect? sure. can we do more to protect our resources and planet? damn straight.

are we the only reason the world is getting warmer these days?

no.

do i feel the world changes in cycles? sure. always has. i think we can contribute to this and i think we should. i think the blaming of mankind on the whole is a copout and a stupid distraction on the overall issue.

people that never budge likely never will. a couple of those have already put me on ignore. :)
  18. AbeBeta

24,850 Messages
    568 Likes Received
    What I am referring to is how every time I cite science, all I hear is "Al Gore parrot" -- when frankly, I could give a crap about what Al Gore or any politician has to say on the issue. I do care what scientists have to say.
  19. AbeBeta

24,850 Messages
    568 Likes Received
    Scientists recognize cyclical changes -- that is a strong part of their models that predict where the temperatures will move in the future. Just two weeks ago there was a post here about an article in Nature that focused on that very issue.
  20. iceberg

27,963 Messages
    989 Likes Received
    and i wish scientists didn't rely on politicians for money. clouds up the issue as well.