1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

McCain urges UK-style sessions for U.S. president

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Doomsday101, May 16, 2008.

1. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,119 Messages
    2,928 Likes Received
    COLUMBUS, Ohio (Reuters) - Republican presidential candidate John McCain said on Thursday that, if elected, he would like to take a page from the British government and appear in question-and-answer sessions with lawmakers.

"I will ask Congress to grant me the privilege of coming before both houses to take questions, and address criticism, much the same as the prime minister of Great Britain appears regularly before the House of Commons," McCain said in excerpts of a speech he is to deliver later in Columbus, Ohio.

Although U.S. presidents deliver annual "State of the Union" speeches to Congress at the start of each year, those formal addresses do not include a question-and-answer session.

McCain said exchanges such as those in the British House of Commons are a way of holding leaders accountable.

"When we make errors, I will confess them readily, and explain what we intend to do to correct them," McCain said. He also reiterated a pledge to hold weekly news conferences, a change from President George W. Bush's practice of holding them roughly once a month.
  2. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,850 Messages
    318 Likes Received
    Why did we fight the Revolutionary War?

This will be nothing but a vehicle for a bunch of grandstanding by presidential wannabe's...
  3. Doomsday101

77,119 Messages
    2,928 Likes Received
    He is not saying we should have a Government like them only sessions in which the president goes before both parties to debate ideals much like the Parliament in GB. I don’t think that is a bad idea I think it would be a good way to have more open communication between the White House and both houses
  4. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,850 Messages
    318 Likes Received
    I do understand the concept, and it's a good idea in that respect, but have you seen those sessions in England on TV? It is funny to watch but I'm sure it would turn into a partisan insult-fest if we did it...
  5. Doomsday101

77,119 Messages
    2,928 Likes Received
    I have seen them and to an extent you are right but at least it gives both parties access to the President. We already see the insults and back stabbing taking place as is but at least in this setting it becomes face to face with question and answerers as well as direct debate.
  6. quincyyyyy

quincyyyyy Benched

463 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    How long do you think it would take before McCain would punch a congressman in the face in one of his signature fits of rage?
  7. Doomsday101

77,119 Messages
    2,928 Likes Received
    McCain has actually done what Clinton and Obama have not done and that is work between parties and not always to his own benefit within his own party. Clinton and Obama are nothing by party line voters how the hell are they going to work between the parties when they have their left wing agenda?

Do you really think Conservatives are going to be willing to pass much left wing ideals without compromise?
  8. quincyyyyy

quincyyyyy Benched

463 Messages
    0 Likes Received

They won't have to. This looks like its going to be a landslide election for the Dems.
  9. Doomsday101

77,119 Messages
    2,928 Likes Received
    Don't count on it. If Obama can't work with Republican he will not get much done.
  10. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,745 Messages
    2,425 Likes Received
    I forget, who did McCain slug yesterday?
  11. Chief

Chief "Friggin Joke Monkey"

8,541 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Oh man, it's high comedy. C-Span every Sunday night.

What I enjoy is the very proper and mannerly way they chop each other's heads off in there, and the laughter that ensues. Good stuff. Tony Blair was an artist.

I also like it when some slug that nobody respects gets the floor and starts touting some obscure program for his district and they all begin moaning loudly and shifting in their seats.

In the U.S., though .... wouldn't be the same. I agree, we would see a bunch of grandstanding.
  12. quincyyyyy

quincyyyyy Benched

463 Messages
    0 Likes Received

I think I will.
  13. Doomsday101

77,119 Messages
    2,928 Likes Received
    We already have grandstanding by both parties. I just think this country has to have more open communication between the parties and the White House. Is it a cure all idea of course not but I would rather see face to face debate than all this he said, she said back in forth through the media.
  14. Doomsday101

77,119 Messages
    2,928 Likes Received
    Wow it does not come as a shock that you feel that way.
  15. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I actually think it is a good idea, but I do think there would be alot of grandstanding, but you can bet your bottom dollar that it goes on in the UK too.

Based on solely what I have read recently, I like the America that Senator McCain envisions, however I am not sure how sincere he is about those ideals.
  16. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,212 Messages
    1,265 Likes Received
    you mean like we're mired in now only with the last few survivors? :)
  17. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,241 Messages
    1,174 Likes Received
    McCain just wants to wear a powdered wig.
  18. Angus

Angus Active Member

5,064 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    The idea is probably grounded in his Congressional (parliamentary) background. Few governors who became presidents or other presidents with an administrative rather than a legislative background would favor the idea. And, I expect McCain, after the first one becomes a donnybrook will entertain it no further - if he is elected.

The Senate he is used to is a "Gentleman's" club and spoken exchanges there are somewhat subdued, but not in the English Parliament.

:)
  19. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,745 Messages
    2,425 Likes Received
    Oh then I am all for it. If he's going to slug someone while wearing a powedered wig that's drama at its finest.
  20. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,483 Messages
    150 Likes Received
    I would enjoy it immensely.