1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

McCain's World Affairs Council Speech

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Danny White, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,344 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Has anyone heard or read it yet?

It is long and far-reaching, but it leaves me feeling uneasy about McCain. He's running, as I feared, far to the left of where he campaigned for the nomination.

That's not to say there isn't some good stuff in there... because there is. But he also has to get his shots in on Guantanamo, Global Warming, etc.

Here's some large excerpts and some analysis mixed in:

http://redstate.com/stories/elections/2008/mccains_realistic_idealism
  2. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

8,906 Messages
    195 Likes Received
    Strangely enough, that actually makes me feel better about McCain. Figures. :D

I've ALWAYS liked the fact that he wasn't in lockstep with the rest of the Republican party. A person who can think for themselves and not just toe the party line is a good thing.
  3. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,893 Messages
    4,243 Likes Received
    I have liked him as well because of it. He is more to the middle than any of the other candidates and that is where I am. I do lean left on some issues and right on others.

The only problem I have with him is the war and the apparent racheting up of war with Iran.

However people also need to realize that all three candidates will be doing similar things no matter what they say to their bases.
  4. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,033 Messages
    143 Likes Received

Do you want him to win?

I don't think a candidate tied to the failure of the Bush presidency would have a chance. McCain being a maverick is the best possibility the Republicans have for a victory. (That, and Hillary)

The far right of the Republican party tied itself to Bush, and really didn't protest his excesses early enough (while the gravy train was still rolling). I think the activists on the edge have made the error of thinking they are the 'conservative movement'.

Pretty sure that happens in both parties, of course. :)
  5. Danny White

12,344 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Do I want him to win? That's a good question. In some ways I really relate to the article Ozzu posted here:

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115425

On one hand, I have a pretty good degree of confidence that McCain will nominate better judges than Obama, reduction of spending is one of the issues McCain is best on. I know he won't gut our national defense. And McCain has a good record on life (although I don't think the issue is a priority for him) while Obama is one of the most radical pro-abortion politicians I've seen in a long time.

So that's what he's got going for him.

On the other hand, I can guarantee you that there will be several major issues during his presidency where he teams up with his liberal pals to pass big policy "victories" that really leave our country much worse off. See bills named "McCain/Feingold, McCain/Kennedy, McCain/Leiberman," and now multiply it by 10 since he'd have the power and authority of the White House behind him.

I just don't know if I can vote for someone who I KNOW will end up disappointing me like that.

Lastly, I think you're right that the Right has damaged it's credibility by continuing to support Bush for as long as they have even when he was so wrong on some key issues.
  6. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,481 Messages
    148 Likes Received
    If you're interested in reducing federal spending, why wouldn't you target the largest and the most inefficient department of the federal government?
  7. Danny White

12,344 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Providing for the national defense is the one of the only truly legitimate things the federal government needs to spend money on.

Most other items can and should be taken care of at the state/local level or even better privately.

National defense, by definition, is something that needs to be managed and funded at a national level. I don't disagree, though, that it should be made much more efficient and less wasteful. And I certainly think we should re-focus away from foreign entanglements (including Iraq) and focus more on true national defense.
  8. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That's one of the things I always liked about him, too... if only he wasn't so completely wrong about the Iraq war, I could vote for him... even if I think that he's a champion of failed Republican economic policies, I could vote for him, but for his stance on that war...