1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

McShay vs. Kiper

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by a_minimalist, Apr 12, 2012.

1. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Active Member

4,545 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Has anyone seen these two battling it out on ESPN lately? They go to war! I'm going to read far into it and say Kiper is feeling threatened by McShay. He likes to throw the "I've been doing this for 34 years" around.

You'd think Kiper wouldn't feel threatened since he is clearly the better of the two.
  2. tomson75

tomson75 Brain Dead Shill

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I wouldn't say Kiper is clearly the better of the two. His drafts usually fall well short of the expected results. FAr moreso than his reputation would suggest at least.

Every year we build up a handful of players that we think will be drafted, and every year, we see a completely different handful of players.
  3. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,633 Messages
    2,017 Likes Received
    I think ESPN wants the banter. It's been going on a for a few years now.
    I prefer having more than one opinon there anyway. I may prefer Mayock over both of them.
  4. Cowboy Junkie

Cowboy Junkie leonargized

2,512 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    For me Kiper is the best on the draft. not only in his knowledge but he entertains.

that being said them going to war is good for TV and Mcshay and Kiper are well aware of this
  5. a_minimalist

4,545 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    yea, i like mayock and mcshay actually. kiper is a little too smug for me.

mcshay clearly gets pissed off when kiper jabs at him though.
  6. Mountaineerfan

Mountaineerfan Active Member

140 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    Yeah fighting over Jamarcus Russell mcshay was pissed
  7. a_minimalist

4,545 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    yea he was. it's been like that the past few days. i'm waiting for an explosion and name calling.
  8. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,066 Messages
    2,487 Likes Received
    Dumb and Dumber, IMO.
  9. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,442 Messages
    3,701 Likes Received
    Although there is not doubt in my mind that ESPN plays it up like they have on other shows and other people...I also believe that they generally do not care for each other that much.
  10. a_minimalist

4,545 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    yup, seems like kiper doesn't like the idea of having some younger guy sharing the spotlight with him. kiper always has this "i smell ****" look on his face.
  11. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,959 Messages
    757 Likes Received
    I've enjoyed it but I like Kiper much better. *Shrugs* I know some people don't care for him but I've always found his information about the value of where players should be drafted and such to be pretty good and solid information.
  12. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

6,204 Messages
    528 Likes Received
    Kiper really seems to put more effort into it draft day. Frankily i dont care of his results, the draft is not easy and more is left unsaid than what we can all gleam from the combine and draft, but Kiper puts some work into at draft day, for him that his is christmas.
  13. Tobal

Tobal Well-Known Member

1,988 Messages
    63 Likes Received
    fair or not, I put little into what McSkhay has to say. Mayock is probabl my favorite.
  14. a_minimalist

4,545 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    to be honest i put little into what any of them say. there is so much that can happen on draft day to distort anybodies mock. it's all speculation so i just use it as 1)entertainment 2)to gauge who is looking where. i don't hold them to anything they say.

kiper is an *** imo though, again.
  15. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Kiper is constantly that away w/ anyone saying anything outside of his own opinion.

He and Hodge were going at it the other night because Hodge had RG3 listed as a better NFL QB than Luck and why he should be #1.

Funny to watch. :laugh2:
  16. a_minimalist

4,545 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    oh it's amazing to watch. i look forward to it everyday now lol
  17. bpfred

bpfred Member

94 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I agree that Kiper is better than McShay (far better IMO). When you read his writeups, you can tell if he actually did the work on players, and he does a pretty good job. One thing he does, and it hurts him IMO, is putting grades on players when it's pretty clear he hasn't looked at them at all... IMO, that's why you will see guys get drafted and he won't even have writeups, but have a grade. There are simply too many players for one guy to truly evaluate.
  18. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,449 Messages
    1,262 Likes Received
    c'mon, do you really think Kiper & McShay do all of the work on the draftees? They both have staffs that do a lot of it for them

and, ESPN loves that they don't get along, at least during their broadcasts...good TV...personally, I like McShay better....I can't get past the pompous, arrogant attitude of Kiper...I like listening to both, but I prefer McShay of the two
  19. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,856 Messages
    881 Likes Received
    They always do this and it's an act. This is what they want viewers to think. They get along just fine. You should listen to the podcast they do, First Draft. They don't put up a front I disliking each other on there because the cameras aren't rolling. ESPN very much wants them both.

As far as who does the work, I think they do the research themselves for the most part. Kiper doesn't travel though, while McShay goes to pro days and all that stuff.
  20. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

36,621 Messages
    3,346 Likes Received
    For me Kiper is good for information so keeps me interested. His predictions on where people will be drafted aren't so good.