1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

McShay vs. Kiper

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by a_minimalist, Apr 12, 2012.

1. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,406 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    They do little research. Kiper has a pretty large staff and actually gets most of his info from college scouts that work for nickels. McShay is as you say more involved and hands on. Kiper reads what he is given, studies the hell out of it, and simply regurgitates that stuff.

I prefer McShay. then Mayock, then Kiper.
  2. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,750 Messages
    10,044 Likes Received
    There was an article written on Mel a couple of years ago. He has no staff whatsoever. Just his wife handling the business side of it.
  3. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,558 Messages
    2,429 Likes Received
    Like him or not, Mel is a big reason why guys like McShay now have a career.
    He's the Godfather of this stuff.
  4. Risen Star

22,750 Messages
    10,044 Likes Received
    He's the reason why they all have jobs. Including that Philly fraud Mayock who decided he was a draft expert when NFLN wanted to create their own Kiper.

Here's the article I mentioned earlier. No staff. He's kept it a family business. If you purchase his books, Kim Kiper takes your order. All the info in the book is from Mel Kiper. With as big as he's gotten over the years, I have to respect that. He could have easily gotten lazy and brought people in to do the grunt work.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/24/sports/football/24kiper.html?pagewanted=all
  5. NeonDeion21

NeonDeion21 Well-Known Member

2,124 Messages
    488 Likes Received
    Was just going to mention their First Draft podcast. They have admitted that they act like they hate each other on TV for ratings. They seem to like each other quite a bit and help each other out through the Draft process.
  6. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Well-Known Member

4,690 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    Good article. You definitely have to respect him for what he's accomplished.
  7. Risen Star

22,750 Messages
    10,044 Likes Received
    I respect her more for putting up with him.
  8. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Well-Known Member

4,690 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    that too. :bow:
  9. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,482 Messages
    342 Likes Received
    McShay has a boner for Tanneyhill.

Kiper likes to point out that Tanneyhill was playing WR for 2-3 years for a QB who wasn't drafted.
  10. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,649 Messages
    5,560 Likes Received
    I know I tell this story every year, but pre-internet back in the 80's I called Kiper's office to buy his draft book and his wife answered the phone. We had a nice chat. Not sure why but at the time I thought that was pretty cool.
  11. Risen Star

22,750 Messages
    10,044 Likes Received
    That is cool. I exchanged a couple of emails with her a while ago. It's pretty neat to see them so hands on with an operation that is so big now.
  12. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,406 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Kiper does indeed have a staff. I know this as a fact.
    His personal business is family run. But he has a staff that works for nothing that helps him with all of the potential draftees.
  13. Risen Star

22,750 Messages
    10,044 Likes Received
    Believe what you want to believe.
  14. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,292 Messages
    1,243 Likes Received
    Of course they do research. Kiper knows about kids all up and down the draft, and McShay goes to pro days and talks to personell on the ground. I don't know that either are as good as pro scouts when it comes to talent evaluation, but even the pros get it wrong.

From the way they talk, neither of them even likes doing mock drafts but they make them do them because fans like to read them.

Kiper and McShay have their role, the problem begins when people take them too seriously like they actually represent an NFL team.