1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Mel Kiper: Beyond Morris Claiborne, Cowboys didn’t get much from 2012 draft

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jan 24, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,140 Messages
    6,923 Likes Received
    By Jon Machota / Special Contributor
    jmachota@dallasnews.com
    8:10 pm on January 24, 2013 | Permalink

According to ESPN draft guru Mel Kiper, they didn’t get much. Kiper regraded each team’s draft on Thursday and the Cowboys’ original C+ grade was moved down to a C.

“Despite getting a very good player in Morris Claiborne, this draft looks worse after a full season,” Kiper wrote. “You can’t just say the trade up to get Claiborne at No. 6 was a brilliant move, because that’s analyzing the pick in a vacuum. In terms of overall value, the Cowboys got Claiborne at the cost of a valuable second-round pick. So while the fact that Claiborne is a good one is a credit to Dallas, he also came at the cost of a pick that would likely turn into a starter. (Dallas has landed Bruce Carter, Sean Lee, Mike Jenkins, Anthony Fasano and Marcus Spears in Round 2 in recent years.) And beyond Claiborne, there isn’t much here.

“Tyrone Crawford looks like a depth addition, and Kyle Wilber isn’t a future starter. The one guy you might point to is James Hanna, who caught 8 passes and showed some upside down the stretch. But overall, the draft is about Claiborne, a very good player, but one who came at a cost. I just can’t say there’s anything here of significance beyond that selection.”

Read more: http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2...-cowboys-didnt-get-much-from-2012-draft.html/
  2. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,857 Messages
    1,233 Likes Received
    :laugh1: Kiper should really stop. It's just idiotic you can't make blanket statements about Crawford and Wilber. Mike Jenkins and Marcus Spears were also obviously not 2nd round picks.
  3. Iago33

Iago33 Well-Known Member

1,458 Messages
    57 Likes Received
    Spears 2nd round??!!??
  4. The Realist

The Realist Active Member

3,284 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He has no clue what he is talking about.

Since when did Spears and Jenkins go in two?
  5. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,631 Messages
    3,154 Likes Received
    Mel's right from the standpoint that so far that draft was Mo & not much else due to injuries and what-not.

We'll see if the class ups its stock in 2013.
  6. cowboys1981

cowboys1981 Well-Known Member

2,922 Messages
    1,683 Likes Received
    He should consider the fact that Matt Johnson and Danny Coale didn't play all year.
  7. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,139 Messages
    481 Likes Received
    Duhhh that makes it even worse... Cowboy fans with blinders on.:lmao2:
  8. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

9,175 Messages
    1,384 Likes Received
    We often have rookies redshirt here in dallas, but I would expect to see a lot from 2nd and 3rd year players next year. That being said, we do need to see a productive rookie class at some point. I would actually really be down on trading up this year.
  9. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    Kiper may be wrong on Jenkins and Spears, but his point about the last draft is correct. Moving up was a dumb move considering the holes on this team.
  10. Avenger

Avenger Member

226 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    That's not what he said.
  11. bbailey423

bbailey423 Well-Known Member

5,021 Messages
    597 Likes Received
    Kiper's premise (if it was really him) may be correct. But for a draft GURU..putting Marcus Spears and Mike Jenkins in the 2nd round is NOT a small mistake.

It makes me wonder if Kiper even provided this review. I am sure he has staff. I am also sure he does not watch everyone play. Looks like to me he looked at a stat sheet and said what is OBVIOUS to everyone. And if Kiper had judged Lee and Carter after their first years....he would not think much of them either.
  12. iowast8rs

iowast8rs Well-Known Member

915 Messages
    302 Likes Received
    I swear, even if we hit on every single draft pick, and they were all major contributors to team, we would still get reamed for not drafting well, such bias.
  13. StarMan

StarMan Well-Known Member

1,027 Messages
    87 Likes Received
    Oh get off it. Kiper is 100% right. Besides Claiborne, we didn't get squat from this draft class.
  14. hra8700

hra8700 Active Member

807 Messages
    56 Likes Received
    1. Kiper is assuming Claiborne will be a good player not a "great" player. If Claiborne becomes (and I think he very well can) a "great player", then that is alone to sustain a draft.

2. Kiper is too early in analyzing picks 3-7. The first 2 picks are the ones that tend to pan out in year one, so of course with only one pick in those rounds, the draft won't look good one year out.
  15. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

38,920 Messages
    4,487 Likes Received
    Crawford played well for a rookie esp one dinged up as much as he was. I'm looking forward to seeing him play this year. Wilbur was also limited by injuries early and was playing out of position later. He did well on STs. I don't know his fit at LB in the 4-3 but he projects as the SOLB for depth. He could get cut in the transition but we'll see. Even so he was drafted for the 3-4 so I wouldn't call him a bust if he doesn't fit the 4-3. The jury is out on Johnson and Coale.

It's too early to grade this draft.
  16. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,632 Messages
    5,545 Likes Received
    /thread
  17. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,586 Messages
    9,751 Likes Received
    It was an obvious bad decision to trade up for Claiborne. You do that for an impact player. He's not one and won't ever be one. You don't impact your defense from the back end while you're playing a bunch of JAGs up front. It's foolish and pretty enlightening of how bad our talent evaluators are to think this was the way to go.

I can't argue with him. As it stands right now, it's a bad draft class that capped off a bad offseason.
  18. ravidubey

ravidubey Active Member

4,866 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    That 2nd round was definitely a gaping hole in the draft. Crawford played, though, and you can't expect much more from a rookie 3rd rounder. Wilber was a relative disappointment and Johnson was just terrible since he not only didn't play but also tied up a roster spot and coaching cycles.

Still, Wilber and Johnson aren't busts yet. Check back at the end of next season.
  19. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

9,155 Messages
    500 Likes Received
    Wrong !!!

What bias? Our drafting stinks !!!
  20. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

2,893 Messages
    1,399 Likes Received
    A bit early to grade 2012 draft picks, but as it stands his grade isn't off.

But, he did the same last year. He graded us as a B- and then changed the grade to a C+ at the end of the year.

I'd say with hitting on players like Tyron, Carter, and Murray in rounds 1-3, then finding a solid number 3 receiver and a good punt returner (FINALLY) in the 6th, I'd give that draft class a B+ or A-, in hindsight. Again, still too early to tell with these guys as well.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/da...at-value-but-cowboys-get-c-for-2011-draft.ece