1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Mel Kiper: Beyond Morris Claiborne, Cowboys didn’t get much from 2012 draft

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jan 24, 2013.

1. VThokie7

VThokie7 Well-Known Member

1,963 Messages
    330 Likes Received
    Exactly, at-least wait three years before you begin grading drafts. Some players take at-least a year of seasoning/development before they're ready to contribute.
  2. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,402 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    Health is a valid consideration in a conclusion.

Far too often Cowboy rookies aren't even getting work in camp or playing in the subsequent season because they can't stay healthy.
  3. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,402 Messages
    319 Likes Received

I don't think Kiper is offering this as the final verdict on the draft class. But the point (and its a big one) is that the Skins, the Colts, the Seahawks got a lot of value out of their draft...in their very first season. A lot of teams did.

Yet once again...we didn't.

In this league you have simply got to get some value from your rookies.
  4. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,887 Messages
    7,317 Likes Received
    Not a final grade. If you emailed Kiper and told him this draft class was a bust, he'd respond back that it's way too early to say that. This is just a re-grading after a year. Of course fans can't tolerate a negative opinion so they'll criticize it. If he raised our grade, nobody would be talking about him needing to wait 3 years.

I didn't like the class from the get go. Way too much invested in that cornerback at a cost of two quality pieces in the trenches. Matt Johnson was an out of the blue reach in the 4th round. I just didn't see a huge upside with this group. 2011 was definitely better, IMO.
  5. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

4,952 Messages
    227 Likes Received
    that's really not something worth bragging about. it's not the end of the world, but it certainly shouldn't be part of our stategy when other teams are picking players who end up just as good but contribute immediately.
  6. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

8,467 Messages
    910 Likes Received
    Where was I bragging?
  7. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

4,952 Messages
    227 Likes Received
    maybe i misunderstood your tone, to me it seemed like you're saying it's okay that we don't get year 1 contributions because it's what we do.
  8. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,887 Messages
    7,317 Likes Received
    Year one production isn't nearly as important as overall production. The reason you need so much impact from rookies is because you haven't drafted well. I want the best long term players, not the guys who just provide more instant impact. That's drafting for need.
  9. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    I would rather see Dallas get some oline scouts that could find quality linemen after the first couple of rounds. Unless something has changed this year, Dallas seems to grade linemen lower than other teams. It is hard for them to draft a lineman in the 4th when other teams are willing to draft him in the late 2nd.
  10. Rynie

Rynie Benched

4,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Oh lord, I agree with this guy. Joking. I have to agree. Coale and Johnson.. Lol. Crawford will be good though, IMO.