1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Twitter: Melton has left the building; on way to STL

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Mar 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,283 Messages
    7,040 Likes Received
    Please stand up, please stand up.
  2. Little Jr

Little Jr Well-Known Member

2,731 Messages
    347 Likes Received
    who would that be?
  3. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

61,110 Messages
    4,436 Likes Received
    Keep going...still don't think you will get anyone to stand up for that one. :)
    Idgit likes this.
  4. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

24,762 Messages
    5,029 Likes Received
    Well, there is the fact he had Julius Peppers playing next to him.

In Dallas, as it stands right now, Jeremy Mincey. Kind of a big difference.
  5. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,057 Messages
    3,535 Likes Received
    according to Rapoport he is saying 3 years 30 mill area or he is willing to walk away from Football. You are right he was looking for a deal with Denver but the deal fell through when they signed Ware
  6. CowboysLaw87

CowboysLaw87 Active Member

598 Messages
    216 Likes Received
    The competitiveness issue is sort of separate from the "he got lots of help" line of argument. Riddick even suggests that he's supremely talented. When I read the opinion that he needs a strong group around him, I took that to mean from a football character perspective. Like, he needs workers around him to bump his competitive flare. No matter what he meant, clearly Jared Allen would be a heck of a guy to put next to him. But man oh man, between the ACL (least concerning), off field issues and now questionable on-field character... woof.
  7. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

24,762 Messages
    5,029 Likes Received
    I do not think there is, well now, was, a realistic chance of having both in Dallas. If Melton was the choice, then he automatically becomes the alpha male on that DL. I can see how that would bother some people who do not have much faith in him.
  8. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,008 Messages
    5,046 Likes Received
    Congrats you get a 'like' for that.
  9. manster1966

manster1966 New Member

29 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    If one or both of Them is not signed, Our Defense will set records of ineptitude that will never be broken. Romo only has a few years left. The team has to go all in now. You do not let go Your 2 best defensive players go without a plan.All We need is a average defense to be scary. With no NFL starter quality defensive line players on Our roster, We have no chance.
    LittleD likes this.
  10. Idgit

31,283 Messages
    7,040 Likes Received
    Yeah. I just have a hard time believing that's his real number. If DEN preferred Ware to Allen, then that's a measure right there of one team's valuation of his relative worth. Add a couple weeks of FA, the fact that Dallas was reportedly interested in Peppers first, and that Peppers then got signed to a lesser deal than Ware got. Time goes by. I think Peppers' money is his high water mark, and that Allen probably won't discount anything much from there. Realistically, ~$15M over two years is a lot of bank to walk away from at 32 years old. It's not like he's looking at a couple years at just a few million per.
  11. Doomsday101

78,057 Messages
    3,535 Likes Received
    All of this could be a bluff but just based on what Rapoport was reporting, Allen is very principled and wants what he wants or else he will walk away from the game with no regrets. All I know is the figure that Rapoport said Allen is expecting.
    I really did not feel the Cowboys have a chance at getting Allen, be nice if they could but just not expecting this to happen
  12. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

15,164 Messages
    2,697 Likes Received
    So both guys left without deals?

So we are going with Crawford/Bass/Hayden/Selvie?

This is like an NFL Europa DL, we seriously are going to get laughed at by opposing offenses........LMAO
  13. Idgit

31,283 Messages
    7,040 Likes Received
    Yeah, I do think JA has a drop-dead number. And it's a high one, and should be, given his level of play. I just don't think it's $10M/per.
  14. Idgit

31,283 Messages
    7,040 Likes Received
    The offseason in the NFL is long, Beast. There's 0% chance we go into a season with our current lineup. We just have to wait and see how bad it really might be.
  15. Doomsday101

78,057 Messages
    3,535 Likes Received
    I don't know, he may come off that some but if he is serious about retiring then I don't think he will come down off that number by much. I think the main key is, is the ready to walk away from the game if he is then he is in a position to call his own shots for the money he wants.
  16. bysbox1

bysbox1 Well-Known Member

1,197 Messages
    87 Likes Received
    I believe Allen went to Denver too. They were ready to offer him a deal before D.Ware got cut . . . . .
  17. Idgit

31,283 Messages
    7,040 Likes Received
    $15-16M over two years is an awful lot to walk away from. No matter what he's done with is earlier money, that's enough to change your lifestyle fairly dramatically for the better. I guess what I'm saying is that he might be willing to walk from that, but he'd be an idiot if he did. :) I guess we'll see what he does here, soon enough.
  18. bkight13

bkight13 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,410 Messages
    703 Likes Received
    Neither of these guys have ever been Free Agents. Melton thought he was going to be one last year and CHI franchised him. KC traded Allen to MINN for two 2nds and a 1st and MINN locked him up immediately. They may just be enjoying the recruiting process.

Allen says he can walk away, but I doubt DEN offered him the Ware contract and he turned it down.
    Melton has the chance to be really good, but his off-field issues may hurt his bottom line.
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  19. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,889 Messages
    1,830 Likes Received
    Yeah, but at least they'll play hard for Rod.
    Beast_from_East likes this.
  20. durrrr

durrrr Active Member

719 Messages
    69 Likes Received
    Tons of overreacting to Melton taking other visits itt...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.