1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Melton is a Cowboy - 1yr, multi-year club option

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Corleone, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

14,235 Messages
    1,978 Likes Received
    ACL scared a lot of teams according to rumors going around. Safe to say he would have got a lot larger deal with more upfront money if he never blew his knee out

Wonder if Spencer will accept something like this, after all he has the same agent as Melton
  2. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

8,655 Messages
    3,579 Likes Received
    Yes at UT. Are you sure you saw him running over people? He was criticized for not doing that enough at his size. Hence the nickname, Shelton.
  3. starfrombirth

starfrombirth Well-Known Member

3,684 Messages
    353 Likes Received
    I didn't realize the Melton was considered a B-level player. It felt to me that he was one of the biggest FA names of the season. But still, I get your meaning... Maybe Seattle wasn't given the same terms.
  4. TheRomoSexual

TheRomoSexual Well-Known Member

2,415 Messages
    863 Likes Received
    Between 2011 and 2012, among DTs, Melton was second overall in sacks and first overall in run stop percentage. He is not a "B-Level" player.
    ndanger likes this.
  5. Doc50

Doc50 Original Fan Zone Supporter

533 Messages
    143 Likes Received
    Spencer probably won't get anything close to a Melton-like deal -- his knee required microfracture surgery, which only has a 40% success rate at best.
    ACL recovery is about twice as likely.
  6. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,065 Messages
    1,616 Likes Received
    If Spencer can pass the physical then I have no issue with him coming back on a low base with incentives built in.
  7. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,235 Messages
    1,325 Likes Received
    Kinda don't understand. I thought, based on the articles posted, that the only Guaranteed Money was 10.5 Million for Hatcher. That's the 9 Million signing Bonus he received up front and the 1.5 Base Salary in the first year. Did the Skins spread out the signing bonus over the 1st two years of the contract? That is not what I read but it would make sense.

Thank you,
  8. SkinsFan28

SkinsFan28 Active Member

1,009 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    Accelerating the prorated guaranteed money, the cap hit in 2015 would be around $8 million, which unless he plays horrible isn't worth having that much dead money for 1 player.
  9. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,235 Messages
    1,325 Likes Received
    Right, I understand that but what I'm asking is, did the Skins structure the contract in such a way as to spread the 9 million signing bonus over multiple years?
  10. SkinsFan28

SkinsFan28 Active Member

1,009 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    No, you are right that all the guaranteed money is paid this year, so from a cash standpoint if he is cut they pay nothing more. The cap proration is why i was saying they would keep him for two years.
  11. MikeT22

MikeT22 Active Member

404 Messages
    216 Likes Received
    Hang out waiting for big Jerrah to show up. LOL.
  12. bkight13

bkight13 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,235 Messages
    590 Likes Received
    The 9m signing bonus is paid upfront but the cap hit is spread equally over the 4 years at 2.25m. Add that to his 1.5m salary and his cap hit is 3.75m in 2014. They technically wouldn't owe him anymore money, but would have 6.75m in dead money.

His base salary in 2015 is 3m, so you could look at it as a 2yr/13.5m deal(4.5m in dead money for 2016).