1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Melton Signing - Indicates A New Direction In Dallas?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WPBCowboysFan, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Vanilla2

Vanilla2 Well-Known Member

1,281 Messages
    502 Likes Received
    Just can't help yourself can you.
  2. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

24,199 Messages
    4,476 Likes Received
    Jerry Jones has maintained for a long time that he is not "the money guy". This is not earth shattering profound news of a new beginning.
    Risen Star likes this.
  3. dwight

dwight Active Member

872 Messages
    138 Likes Received
    I didn't mention Marinelli in this but Jason looked pissed off when Jerry traded down in last years draft. I'm assuming by Jason's reactions (I have no written evidence) that he wanted Floyd.

Don't get me wrong there are something's that I don't like about Jason; however, there are some aspects that I do like. We can't really view his performance accurately due to Jerry Jones meddling and his incompetence in running the team.
  4. ConstantReboot

ConstantReboot Well-Known Member

2,132 Messages
    457 Likes Received
    For a coach like Garrett who hasn't produced results as an OC and head coach Jerry has all the rights to step in and meddle with things. Taking playcalling away from Jason is the right thing. Heck, Garrett doesn't know how to use his stars on offense like Dez and he wants to draft Floyd? Even Marinelli didn't want anything to do with Floyd and his the only real head coach on the team.
    khiladi likes this.
  5. dwight

dwight Active Member

872 Messages
    138 Likes Received
    What was Marinelli's win/loss record when he coached the Lions?

I do agree with you somewhat about Jason but to be fair to him you can't properly evaluate Jason due to Jerry Jones performance as a GM.
  6. ConstantReboot

ConstantReboot Well-Known Member

2,132 Messages
    457 Likes Received
    Why not? Without Jerry's help he would never last this long as head coach. In fact, if he was coaching somewhere else and realized that his a coach in training most teams would have canned is ***.

To be frank Garrett is the worst thing that ever happened to the Cowboys. There is no reason for being the coach of the Cowboys and using that position as a learning platform on how to be head coach. He should already know it by.

As for Marinelli he has failed as head coach. So what....many great coaches has also failed miserably. I think he has learned his mistakes. As for Garrett I think he's stubborn and hasn't learned. Heck, after 3 years he still hasn't learned time management. How long do we have to wait?
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2014
    khiladi likes this.
  7. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,324 Messages
    1,817 Likes Received
    I don't see any news there, Stephen is the guy who works the contracts having said that Jerry has final say.
  8. Alexander

24,199 Messages
    4,476 Likes Received
    He is not the "worst thing that has ever happened to the Cowboys". Dave Campo was worse. Barry Switzer was worse. Both ruined the winning culture.

Garrett's status as an semi-empowered trainee is not his problem. I think he is trying the best he can. The problem is Jones hiring him as a head coach in waiting before the head coach and then handing him the head coaching job knowing he might not be ready.
    dwight likes this.
  9. Alexander

24,199 Messages
    4,476 Likes Received
    That is exactly right.

If you think Jones was "not involved", you might as well think that Marinelli talked money with Melton too.
    khiladi likes this.
  10. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,324 Messages
    1,817 Likes Received
    I think as I have said before and as I have heard from others like BP and even Jimmy, Jerry will listen to advice and make the call based on that advice. I think Jones does have respect for Marinelli and what Marinelli feels he needs to get this defense turned around In the end though Jerry is going to give his approval or not
    khiladi likes this.
  11. khiladi

khiladi Well-Known Member

11,385 Messages
    1,668 Likes Received
    Barry, I may agree with you, but Campo had no winning culture. His teams played hard. At the same time, Campo was brought back and put on Wade and then given to Garrett.

The reality with Jason is that, he was given talent. The lack of training also created issues during Wade's tenure, with moves being made for him in the long run. We've changed defensive philosophy under him more than once, and brought in new blocking schemes with Callahan, to work with Garrett's offense. We had Garrett's brother as passing game coordinator. Now we are going back to Linehan. We think our problems are losing WRS like Laurent Robindon which is why the offense fails, do we go with Garrett's boy aka Ogeltree.

We've wasted more years with Garrett than anybody else, with talent.
  12. Alexander

24,199 Messages
    4,476 Likes Received
    And again, not Garrett's issue. That's Jones' issue.
    dwight likes this.
  13. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,729 Messages
    3,233 Likes Received
    That is laughable.
    Risen Star likes this.
  14. waving monkey

waving monkey Well-Known Member

1,368 Messages
    435 Likes Received
    it's always something aint Khiladi
  15. DoctorChicken

DoctorChicken Well-Known Member

651 Messages
    580 Likes Received
    Releasing Ware was the right decision, which probably isn't a decision that wouldn't have been made in the past. Signing quality FAs that add depth to a poor DL is not what we would have done in the past; Jerral would have gone for the "splash" signing. And not throwing money at Melton is a good decision as well.

Do I think Jerry's changing? No. I hope he is, though.
  16. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,263 Messages
    1,836 Likes Received
    Jerry was in Europe the whole time. All he had to do was tell Stephen that it was ok to pursue Melton with certain price limits and then Stephen and Marinelli could take it from there.
    Past DCs have already had input on the players. Just think of two years ago when we broke the bank and draft appeasing our DC's demands to get both Carr and Claiborne in the same offseason.
    Chocolate Lab likes this.
  17. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,208 Messages
    772 Likes Received
    The Cowboys lost Robinson because of money. Jags paid him way too much.
  18. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

8,220 Messages
    903 Likes Received
    I can see it now, if this works out, the JJ haters will claim it worked because JJ wasn't involved. If it don't work out, they will still say JJ was the reason.
    And also somehow blame Jason too. But will not give him credit either. will say he was just "there"
    WPBCowboysFan likes this.
  19. RonSpringsdaman20

RonSpringsdaman20 alpha seeing omega Zone Supporter

1,539 Messages
    553 Likes Received
    If it works, than would it matter what anyone says? haters or lovers alike...

Just win.
  20. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,036 Messages
    1,424 Likes Received
    Like clockwork it will play out that way.