1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Mensa

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Afigueroa22, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Afigueroa22

Afigueroa22 Well-Known Member

1,014 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    Is anybody a member?
  2. notherbob

notherbob Active Member

2,856 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I was not a member but I attended a few meetings for a while in the early 1980s in north Dallas and they break down into a bunch of special interest groups so people can discuss their favorite topics and the sex special interest group was kinda fun for a while but the general membership meetings became a little boring after a while with everyone playing "I am smarter than you." Sometimes it seemed that a lot of the people came only to talk and not to listen except to pounce on misstatements but it keeps you on your toes.

It's not really the smartest people but it is people interested in intellectual things. To join you have to pass a test but you can take it as many times as you need to to pass it. Basically, the people were fun and rather uninhibited and I attended a clothing optional pool party and of course, no one wore any - what a freeing experience. The sex special interest group tried to turn it into an orgy and had to be reminded that the pool party was for the whole group and not just them so they retired to one of the bedrooms and everyone was happy.

When nobody has any clothes on it is hard to put on airs or try to act superior. I was one of the last ones to venture out to the pool wearing nothing but a towel and I felt very self-conscious and out of place until I removed the towel and then I felt fully accepted and very much one of the group. Once the sex sig left things settled down to an evening of pleasant and relaxed conversation and it was easy to look people in the eye. Things always seemed to go a little better when the sex sig met separately (not that there's anything wrong with that.)

Most of the meetings were like typical college faculty parties. If you like to be around mature intellectuals who are pretty frank mostly devoid of most people's hangups and you don't mind them being quick to point out a flaw you might attend a few of their meetings; guests are always welcome and they are generally a pretty friendly group but I moved away from the area.
  3. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Went to one of their meetings, they were a bunch of morons... :D
  4. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    No it was just you :laugh1:
  5. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,628 Messages
    1,572 Likes Received
    read an article about a reporter that fudged things to get into one and watch what went on. Said it was like a one upmanship challenge.
  6. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,905 Messages
    4,274 Likes Received
    Are you sure it was a MENSA party and not a Roman Bath house society meeting? :p: ;)
  7. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    There's a difference? :laugh1:
  8. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,850 Messages
    318 Likes Received
    I attended one in Dallas and saw enough...

It is... a bunch of very smart people that have little common sense trying to "one-up" the next guy...

Remember that scene in Mr. Mom where Michael Keaton was trying to impress his wife's boss by pretending to remodel the house?

First of all, Martin Mull asked a dumb question "You gonna wire it 220?" Why would anyone wire an addition for 220?

Michael Keaton's answer... "220... 221... whatever it takes"...

There's your Mensa meeting...
  9. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,471 Messages
    2,079 Likes Received
    this thread is a riot that a psychiatrist could use for a semester's worth of teaching
  10. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,326 Messages
    1,582 Likes Received
    Did you talk about garlic in any of your conversations?

If so, I bet you blew them away!

:D
  11. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,850 Messages
    318 Likes Received
    QFT!!!
  12. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    I'm betting bob got to shag some hhhhhoooooooott wimmen in his day.
  13. Afigueroa22

Afigueroa22 Well-Known Member

1,014 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
  14. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,939 Messages
    1,001 Likes Received
    Sounds like a thread on CZ.
  15. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,352 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    only the threads you're in....

I kid, I kid :laugh2:
  16. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,326 Messages
    1,582 Likes Received
    You can hear that?

:confused:

You must have magik ears.
  17. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,939 Messages
    1,001 Likes Received
    Exhibit A. :)
  18. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,352 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    hey a lawyer joke, I see what you did there lol:D
  19. baj1dallas

baj1dallas New Member

6,556 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Nope but I just took a Wonderlic test for a job, so that's kinda funny.
  20. notherbob

notherbob Active Member

2,856 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    No, this was before I became involved with garlic and was selling those new things called microcomputers but these people were not techies so I never mentioned them. I must admit, though I was thrilled to win a game of Scrabble at one of the meetings.