1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Mexico on the verge of revolution?

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by ThaBigP, Aug 30, 2008.

1. ThaBigP

ThaBigP New Member

2,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  2. ThaBigP

ThaBigP New Member

2,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  3. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

42,637 Messages
    2,225 Likes Received
    I am waitng for our resident libs to blame the US for this. Its just a matter of time.

Of course the one thing we do that helps the mess down there is NOT control our border. If we did=this would hav e come to a head a long time ago. They have been able to let off steam by illegal immigration here.

But the chickens have come home to roost now. All those years of political corruption has totally destroyed every part of the Mexican government. Virtually everyone is corrupt, or put in a position that you either take the payoff or are killed.
    And the main reason this all happened= The MEXICAN people have ALLOWED it to happen. The final blame rests with THEM.
  4. ThaBigP

ThaBigP New Member

2,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I hope they can do something. One big hurdle standing is their way is that the Mexian citizens are pretty much disarmed by their government. Only the police, army, and drug cartels have guns. Oh, and by the way, they just happen to be the same 3 entities causing the problem. The cartels have bought/bribed/threatened almost every important member of their government, including many in the army...police chiefs...judges....even those serving in the Mexican legislature. It truly is to the people and only the people.
  5. iceberg

iceberg nothing is nothing Zone Supporter

29,108 Messages
    2,077 Likes Received
    if waiting for them to blame us is predictiable, isn't saying they're going to do it the same game?

i'm still against a wall. i'm more for talking to the government and giving tough love if we have to. i got nothing against mexico. they're just a 3rd world country no one has really paid attention to in awhile and it's gotten out of control.
  6. Walker

Walker Texas Ranger

504 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It would also be in the best interest of the US to help Mexico because the stronger the countries that border you and that are allies the safer the US will be. I am against the wall as well. I seen it first hand that even with the wall up it's still possible to easily get across. It hurts local businesses, wildlife and supposedly goes thru a University in Brownsville. Hopefully the US strengthens its neighbors so that it can build a stronger ally and better secure the country.
  7. iceberg

iceberg nothing is nothing Zone Supporter

29,108 Messages
    2,077 Likes Received
    i agree. fix the problem. a wall of any form is a band aide that fails in the end.
  8. burmafrd

42,637 Messages
    2,225 Likes Received
    IF the wall was done RIGHT (and they won't do it right) and well patroled it WOULD work to control our border. It works in other parts of the world= why not here? It only takes the WILL to do it right. And that is where there is very little in the federal government of any kind.
  9. yeahyeah

yeahyeah New Member

502 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This is simply the result of years upon years upon years of indemnity bestowed on the drug lords. Anyone who has lived there or grownup around the culture knows that corruption is rife in Mexico and always has been. However this is what you get when everyone accepts the mordida.
    Sad stuff.
  10. burmafrd

42,637 Messages
    2,225 Likes Received
    It comes down to the PEOPLE accepting it and doing nothing about it. And every instituition in the country is equally to blame. MAYBE now they are starting to wake up and do something about it- but I doubt it. It will take a lot more then a few demonstrations to change anything there.
  11. ThaBigP

ThaBigP New Member

2,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It's all about tipping points - that point at which a group of people have simply had enough and feel they have no options left. For the longest time, their economic problems were glossed over by their own politicians and people since it was easy enough to run across the border to get better income for a time. As our housing market slumped and the market for construction labor slid, many illegal imigrants went home of their own accord, no roundups or fence needed. Check one. Then the drug cartels started their own "surge" of sorts, building to the crecendo of a dozen or so headless bodies being dumped in the resort area of the Yucatan. Check two. That also hurts their tourism, one of the only things left helping the Mexican economy. The people have simply had enough and feel cornered. I've always been wary of fences and walls myself. Especially in light of the fact that, when we simply enforce our own laws here, we tend to see many who crossed over illegally go home on their own for lack of employment, as well as a drastic reduction of new people crossing over. This is, literally, one of those problems that will "fix itself" if we just do our jobs here.
  12. yeahyeah

yeahyeah New Member

502 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Actually Mexicos economy has been growing fairly steadily for the last decade. This is no longer the economy of the early 90's they have averaged about 3% a year for the last decade.
    Alot of the reason Mexicans come to the states is quite simply the US dollar goes farther there. Not necessarily because they cant find work in Mexico.
    Mexico created almost a million jobs in 2007.
  13. ThaBigP

ThaBigP New Member

2,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Now the President of Mexico concedes that the country is in effect disintigrating.

http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/mexico_crime_march/2008/08/31/126600.html

While this is probably not high on peoples' priority list right now, what with hurricanes and hockey-mom VP picks, but I'll bet you dollars to Homer Simpson's doughnuts that this will become a huge issue soon if they don't get a handle on it, and soon.
  14. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,844 Messages
    481 Likes Received
    you mean Southern California is in open rebellion? :cool:

all kidding aside, I hope it all works out well for our Mexican brethren
  15. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The Mexican Government is extremely corrupt and anytime you have an environment where the criminals have no problem killing elected officials in any level of the government, then you have a huge problem.

The sad part is that Felipé Calderon, while running for office promised to get tough and reduce crime.

Mexico has alot of resources and potential, but until the Mexican people take their country back, the government will continue to be corrupt and the cartels will continue to prosper.
  16. burmafrd

42,637 Messages
    2,225 Likes Received
    Untill the PEOPLE show that they will support the crackdown, it will not happen. A couple of protests means nothing.