1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Twitter: Michael Huff brought in for workout

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Nov 12, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,638 Messages
    4,752 Likes Received
  2. pjtoadie

pjtoadie Cleveland's #1 Cowboys fan

1,937 Messages
    488 Likes Received
    Championship!
    khiladi likes this.
  3. Ender

Ender Well-Known Member

1,425 Messages
    217 Likes Received
    Cant be worst than Heath
  4. WoodysGirl

65,638 Messages
    4,752 Likes Received
    More like ham sandwich!
    pjtoadie likes this.
  5. Cmac

Cmac Member

50 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    The position is at rock bottom.....it's worth a try.
  6. JeffInDC

JeffInDC Well-Known Member

1,000 Messages
    62 Likes Received
    The Giants won the SB in 2011 using their Nickle (4-2-5) Defense as their base D. Maybe it's just me, but in this new day and age of the NFL (all passing with a dash of running), this seems to be one of the most effective ways to play these spread offenses. And, oddly enough, if Dallas were to sign Huff, they would have the pieces to implement this. My version would be (of course, if everyone was healthy):

LE - Selvie
    DT - Hatch
    DT - Hayden
    RE - Ware
    SS/WLB - Church (playing him closer to the line would do nothing but help him - if they go to zone, he should be much better playing the flats than covering deep)
    MLB - Lee
    SLB - Carter (SHOULD be better matched up against TE's vs. RB's)
    CB - Scandrick/Claiborne
    CB - Carr
    SS - Wilcox
    FS - Huff

Getting your best 11 on the field should be the goal of any team.

Also, for next year, I would love for this team to adopt the 4-3 setup's of the Williams's Wall Vikings and the current Bengals............one in which there is a dedicated 325+lb. behemoth clogging the middle of the line. There really is this misconception that a NT that only gets 1-2 sacks a year isn't helping your pass rush. A guy like that pushing the pocket every play (see Pat Williams and Domata Peko) helps the 3T next to him ALWAYS seeing 1on 1 battles. Just a thought.............
    ologan, JPostSam, khiladi and 2 others like this.
  7. 50cent

50cent Well-Known Member

2,537 Messages
    329 Likes Received
    Develop the youngins, this season will not turn with huff. More knee jerk reactions by Jerry. Maybe just maybe if we had a FS, we would be 9-1 is his thinking. Yea because a FS was the reason we lost 4 of those 5 we coulda won, huh Jerry?! This organization is unreal!
    EPL0c0 and dupree89 like this.
  8. mugsybows

mugsybows Active Member

262 Messages
    235 Likes Received
    couldnt hurt. i like this move.
  9. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,312 Messages
    1,206 Likes Received
    Jeff, if the defense was healthy we could run 3-4. 4-3 or nickel and be fine.

We were in nickel getting gashed versus New Orleans because we we don't have 5 healthy NFL DBs.
    Teams have long run a Nickel versus the Saints.

As to best 11 Durant is better than BW Webb right now. So we are really better in the 4-3 if you want the best personnel on the field.

I would definitely sign Huff as he can not be worse than Heath. that was a gamble for the future that is killing us right now.
    I can not believe Will Allen would not have done better.
    I would get burned mercilessly at safety but even at 41 I could tackle better than Heath showed.
  10. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

3,050 Messages
    1,237 Likes Received
    So Allen > Huff or Allen < Huff?
  11. WoodysGirl

65,638 Messages
    4,752 Likes Received
  12. cowboys1981

cowboys1981 Well-Known Member

1,879 Messages
    843 Likes Received
    I can see a Huff and Wilcox tandem being effective. If we move Church into the box as a LB, I can see a shell of Lavonte David in him. Having Church near the line plays to his strength in stopping the run.
  13. CaptainCreed

CaptainCreed Active Member

380 Messages
    154 Likes Received
    I believe he is not arguing to use 3 corners like a standard nickel, thus no Webb, but rather 3 safeties with Church as a hybrid linebacker/safety. Saints have used this a lot this year with Harper, Vaccaro, and Jenkins and have been successful.
  14. 03EBZ06

03EBZ06 Need2Speed

7,979 Messages
    411 Likes Received
    about equally below average over the hill players
  15. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,525 Messages
    1,331 Likes Received
    Stole my answer.

At this point, we don't even need good, we just need capable of playing the position.
    khiladi likes this.
  16. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,727 Messages
    1,769 Likes Received
    Huff is slow these days. There's a reason no one wants him.
  17. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,628 Messages
    121 Likes Received
    Heck we should try out anyone with a pulse at safety cause we are getting torched back there.
    WoodysGirl likes this.
  18. Jerruh

Jerruh Active Member

353 Messages
    40 Likes Received
    Oh thank god. He may not be a world beater but should be an upgrade over the crap we have seen thus far. Any move that keeps Heath out of the defensive sets is fine by me.
  19. WoodysGirl

65,638 Messages
    4,752 Likes Received
    Brown crap vs green crap is still crap... ijs

Two weeks ago, got the "Not interested" from Cowboys camp. Cowboys scouts weren't impressed. But desperate times call for desperate measures, and all of a sudden, he's an upgrade.

Gotta do what you gotta do, I guess. But let's not act like he's anything more than Will Allen 2.0. lol
    Bleu Star likes this.
  20. Jerruh

Jerruh Active Member

353 Messages
    40 Likes Received
    Honestly at this point I'm fine with Will Allen v2.0. He had his issues and wasn't great by any means. At least he could play the game and not leave a glaring hole at center field. That TD Heath gave up to Stills was absolutely embarrassing and at the very least should have been contested and incomplete.